INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bugsy Malone  (Read 707 times)

V-Man

Bugsy Malone
« on: February 07, 2003, 01:26:27 am »

Firstly, congratulations to J River on a great set of features for their product.

Now, I know it's still in beta, and I'm a software developer myself so can understand how difficult it is to pull such a complex program together.

What surprises me though is how it seems that every time fixes are made and a new build is released, it seems to have broken previously OK and seemingly unrelated functionality.

I've worked on a project before where the code base was so messed around with that the "one step forward two steps back" scenario was taking over. It was not exactly rewarding software to be involved with.

I certainly don't wish to belittle the efforts of Matt et al who are making a much better fist of things than I ever could. I am just hoping you guys at J River feel you've got that beast that is MC well under control and have a release-quality version out soon that is stable, even if it means disappointing some of us by putting off some of the more problematic features until the first release update.

Good luck guys. :)

(Bracing myself for a backlash :D)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Bugsy Malone
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2003, 03:06:01 am »

No backlash.  Just that we've made enormous changes recently:

Unicode makes it work right for half the world.  

An encapsulated database to access data directly from programs like Media Server.  It was an essential change for a treat we have in store.

We substituted our own CD burning engine for two we had purchased.  Now we have our own source and can quickly fix problems.  

We did something similar with YADB, our database lookup for CD's and tracks.

We're done with the big changes now (for this version).

V-Man

Re: Bugsy Malone
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2003, 03:57:35 am »

Thanks for the response Jim. It's always great to be kept informed.

I expect that my problem is that I don't personally want that much from MC. I really only ever want to use it for managing my media collection on my home PC. Ripping, tagging, searching, slideshows, playing movie files etc directly on my PC.

So I don't personally appreciate the unicode stuff, CD burning, multi-zone servery-whatsits etc that you're investing in at the moment though of course I understand it has to be done for widespread appeal.

And so I'm not complaining at all, I guess like many others I'm anxious to get using a lot of the 'lesser' features your also working on in the background such as playlists, keywords etc.

But anyhoo, keep up the good work. I'm sure it'll be worth the wait!
Pages: [1]   Go Up