INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Possible to have colorspace configuration change between 24fps and 60fps ?  (Read 210 times)

afss_br

• Recent member

Hello, I appreciate your thoughs on ways to configure JRiver and/or windows in order do accomplish the best possible signal to my projector.

I currently have windows setup as 4:4:4 12bit 23hz, so that I can fully benefit from Jrivers chroma upscaling capabilities - this works just fine for the vast majority of the movies which are 24fps. When I play the (rare) movies which are 60fps, JRiver/Windows changes the HDMI output signal to 4:4:4 8bit 60hz, so I am losing the 10bit resolution from the original UHD-HDR files.

Please, does anybody know if it would it be possible to have a different configuration for 60fps(60hz)? I would like for the system to change to 4:2:2 12bit 60hz instead of keeping 4:4:4 and reducing bit depth to 8.

tij

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

4:4:4 8bit ... is better than 4:2:2 12bit

4:2:2 delivers chroma channel (color channel) at 75% resolution ... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chroma_subsampling

Your 60hz source is max 8bit ... so you are not really losing anything

Pretty sure processing of video is done at high bit depth + dithering  ... before being output at lower bit depth ... just like audio ... so you are better off at 4:4:4 8bit than 4:2:2 12bit

EDIT: if 10 12 bit important to you ... get HDMI 2.1 compatible GPU and TV/Projector ... then you can do 4:4:4 at 10 and 12 bit ... even at 120fps
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

afss_br

• Recent member

4:4:4 8bit ... is better than 4:2:2 12bit

4:2:2 delivers chroma channel (color channel) at 75% resolution ... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chroma_subsampling

Your 60hz source is max 8bit ... so you are not really losing anything

Pretty sure processing of video is done at high bit depth + dithering  ... before being output at lower bit depth ... just like audio ... so you are better off at 4:4:4 8bit than 4:2:2 12bit

EDIT: if 10 12 bit important to you ... get HDMI 2.1 compatible GPU and TV/Projector ... then you can do 4:4:4 at 10 and 12 bit ... even at 120fps

Thanks for the prompt reply, indeed HDMI 2.1 would be an option - just a clarificarion, the 60hz source file could be indeed 10 bit, not 8 bit (as an example The Gemni Man UHD movie), so with my current setup I am missing some bit depth if I decide to prioritize color space (4:4:4) - I was bringing this up, as several media players (such as my zidoo Z9X) allows for a separate configuration of color space between 24hz and 60hz, thus I though JRiver could implement a similar separate configuration as well.

Hendrik

• Administrator

We don't specifiy bitdepth or color subsampling at all. All you tell it is the resolution and refresh rate you want. I don't believe Windows has a setting at all to control the subsampling used. Any further settings are usually hidden in graphics card specific settings somewhere. Maybe you can setup those to specifically handle only those modes you desire.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

tij

• MC Beta Team

I don't believe Windows can control subsampling ... it's up to GPU drivers ... NVidia allows to control subsampling, but that's at output stage (so Windows handles everything in RGB ... then Nvidia subsamples that for final output)

Just for kicks ... set your GPU to 4:2:2 10 bit ... then look at small colored text on white background ... you should see color "bleed" to white background... that's subsampling - not so great ... for video - basically, JRiver tries to minimize this - if you subsample, that effort is for nothing :)
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

eve

Hello, I appreciate your thoughs on ways to configure JRiver and/or windows in order do accomplish the best possible signal to my projector.

I currently have windows setup as 4:4:4 12bit 23hz, so that I can fully benefit from Jrivers chroma upscaling capabilities - this works just fine for the vast majority of the movies which are 24fps. When I play the (rare) movies which are 60fps, JRiver/Windows changes the HDMI output signal to 4:4:4 8bit 60hz, so I am losing the 10bit resolution from the original UHD-HDR files.

Please, does anybody know if it would it be possible to have a different configuration for 60fps(60hz)? I would like for the system to change to 4:2:2 12bit 60hz instead of keeping 4:4:4 and reducing bit depth to 8.

Gotta concur with everyone else here. 4:4:4 8bit is better than 4:2:2 12 or 10. You're using a projector, with a projector, you ideally want to tonemap anyways.

Gemini Man, bad movie, phenomenally interesting HFR cinematography. Hopefully you've checked out Billy Lynn too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up