INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Restoring Cover Art  (Read 856 times)

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
Restoring Cover Art
« on: June 02, 2024, 02:22:09 pm »

Since moving stuff around on my Windows 10 PC I've ended up with cover art stored in the default location C:\Users\User\App Data\J River Media Center 30\Cover Art\. OK, so far so good. But there is no longer a copy stored in the music files themselves. I have a couple of backup external drives which do have the cover art within each album file. Question: how do I copy the cover art from those backup external drives to the drives normally accessed by MC? (I know there is a wiki for Cover Art but I haven't found the answer there).

haggis999

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Restoring Cover Art
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2024, 02:48:37 am »

Assuming that MC is displaying your cover art (wherever it may be stored), select all the relevant tracks, then right click and select Library Tools > Update Tags (from library).

The Image tag listing in MC will then show the cover art as being "inside file".

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2024, 11:42:34 am »

Yes, thanks, I can see that process doing as you say. The album covers are all present in the library. I assume because MC stores a copy in the default location. But, I accidentally (or should I say, unwisely) deleted all the actual artwork files from 'Images'. I have them still on one external backup drive. Shouldn't I be concerned that these are kind of essential for eventualities down the road, or at least peace of mind?

So.....can I copy back from an external drive all the artwork files (covers really) to the PC, into some logical location? The album cover files on the external drive are located with the albums, not in a separate place where they can easily be copied over.

Another way to explain this is that only a fraction of my album covers show up in C:\User\User\Roaming\JRiver\Media Center 28\Cover Art\ even though all the album covers show up in Library View. I have those album cover files on another drive (removable external backup). How do I restore the actual album cover files from that drive?

haggis999

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2024, 01:00:13 pm »

Yes, thanks, I can see that process doing as you say. The album covers are all present in the library. I assume because MC stores a copy in the default location. But, I accidentally (or should I say, unwisely) deleted all the actual artwork files from 'Images'. I have them still on one external backup drive. Shouldn't I be concerned that these are kind of essential for eventualities down the road, or at least peace of mind?

So.....can I copy back from an external drive all the artwork files (covers really) to the PC, into some logical location? The album cover files on the external drive are located with the albums, not in a separate place where they can easily be copied over.

The cover art images can be stored wherever you like. All that matters is that you told MC where to find each of them. It's also your choice whether you also store them in the audio files, though I would recommend that, as it's not only a worthwhile backup, but makes the cover art visible in other media software.

It sounds like you also chose to import cover art files as images to be catalogued by MC (something I've never done). Be aware that deleting any media in MC comes with the option to just remove it from the Media Library or remove it from the Media Library AND permanently delete it from the disk. If you did the latter then perhaps MC now only has access to the cover art stored in the audio files. In that case, it sounds wise to copy them from your external backup drive to MC's default cover art location.   

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
  • 1 petard hoisting down, 3 to go - Lock him up!!!
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2024, 01:29:14 pm »

I am not clear on what rsg means by "deleted all the actual cover art files".  Are the image "copies" in the default cover location somehow different?  I assume if they are copies they would be identical to the original files.  Assuming that is the case, then what haggis advised is the proper method.

That said, perform Update Tags (from Library) on just a handful of files first to make sure it gives the results you want. Then do it again on several dozen files for a larger test.  Once you are confident that everything is as it should be, do it on your entire library.  It should go without saying, but...  always backup MC's library/database before performing any library-wide modification.

Also make sure MC is pointing at the specific cover art location you noted in your first post.

1) Go to Options/File Locations/Cover Art.  Make sure Audio mode is set to "in a specified folder". 

2) Go to Options/Library & Folders/Manage Library Fields. In the new dialog window, select Image file from the field list on the left.  Then tick the Save in file tags (when possible) located in the middle Data group.

3) The second step ensures the cover art is saved into the tags going forward

I am not 100% positive (more like 20%), but if MC is points to the correct cover art location, it might automatically import the cover art into the file as a background process without having to run the Update Tags (from Library) operation?  Maybe somebody knows the answer for sure… Matt?  Marko?  If it does indeed work like that, depending on your library size, it could take quite a while. 

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2024, 02:29:55 pm »

Be aware that deleting any media in MC comes with the option to just remove it from the Media Library or remove it from the Media Library AND permanently delete it from the disk. If you did the latter then perhaps MC now only has access to the cover art stored in the audio files. In that case, it sounds wise to copy them from your external backup drive to MC's default cover art location.

Yes! That's the point. When I open the external backup drive, each album cover is stored with each album, so how do I copy them into (actually, back into) MC's default cover art location (other than one by one, which would be a gargantuan task)?

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2024, 02:41:54 pm »

as haggis said...
The cover art images can be stored wherever you like. All that matters is that you told MC where to find each of them.
You indicated that you have "copies" of all your cover art in a single folder, right?  Point to that folder as I described in step 1), and then do steps 2) & 3) indicated in my post.

You do NOT need to do copy cover art from your external location to each album in MC one at a time.  It is suggested you manually select a few files to run the tool on to verify cover art is getting embedded into the file.  Once you confirm that is the case, select ALL the album covers in a single MC view (via ctrl+A) and run the Update Tags (from Library) from the context menu item Library tools.

Running the update tags tool is equivalent to you copying each cover art image file one at a time, but automated.

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2024, 03:01:52 pm »

I am not clear on what rsg means by "deleted all the actual cover art files".  Are the image "copies" in the default cover location somehow different?  I assume if they are copies they would be identical to the original files.  Assuming that is the case, then what haggis advised is the proper method.

Maybe this, from haggis, explains..."Be aware that deleting any media in MC comes with the option to just remove it from the Media Library or remove it from the Media Library AND permanently delete it from the disk. If you did the latter then perhaps MC now only has access to the cover art stored in the audio files. In that case, it sounds wise to copy them from your external backup drive to MC's default cover art location." I think that is the problem right there: I have removed them from the disk. But I still have them on the external backup drive, so....

And, yes, I have a specific folder and can save in file tags, but the album files on the external backup drive include album covers (seems like a safe option, right?) while the album files on the computer (the ones access by MC when I play music) do not.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2024, 03:26:42 pm »

Do you have a folder contains all the cover art image files, and only the cover art, or not?  if you do, then follow the steps I've outlined and all your covers will get embedded into the music files where they are currently located.

If you do NOT have a folder that contains all the cover art and only the cover art, then you're going to want to use the Rename/Move/Copy (RMC) command to move all your music files (with the embedded art already) from your external location to your preferred location.  There is also a another new MC Tool that moves files from a server to a new location I have never used it and I'm not familiar with it, but there is a sticky topic and on the main MC 32 board here:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,137825.0.html.

I believe this new tool is similar to the RMC command but you will have to look into that for yourself.  That said, RMC is an incredibly powerful tool that can also move and replace all your files in one fell swoop.  Whichever direction you take, always backup your MC library/database first, and even then experiment with only a small subset of files to make sure you understand what is happening before doing it to your whole library.

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2024, 04:38:57 pm »

I think it is a good idea to keep each cover art file in its respective album directory, side-by-side with the music files themselves (as well as storing the cover art in the music file as a tag).  That is how I do it, for a variety of reasons, and it is a common practice.  If I understand correctly, that is how they are stored on your backup drive right now.

If so, and assuming the overall music folder structures are the same on the two drives, then it is extremely easy to copy the cover art files from the back up drive to the new music drive, preserving side-by-side locations.  Simply use a file/folder compare utility, such as Beyond Compare.  Compare the two top level music directories, including all subdirectories, and then copy the "missing files" from back up to current music folders, which can be done in one fell swoop by the utility.  BTW, investing in a good file/folder compare utility is a great way to independently confirm file synchronization between your primary storage disc and backup discs.

MC has a setting for this organization scheme:  Options > File Location > Cover Art > Audio mode > In the same folder as the file.

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2024, 11:36:45 pm »

Yes, some great ideas here. I'm still unsure about the significance of how images are presented in Tag>Image:
Some images state 'Inside File' + size
Others provide the C:\ location
And others show no image for the whole album but state <various internal images>

When I make the change 'Update Tags (from library)' does MC add the album cover image to the album file?

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2024, 12:10:15 am »

MC has a setting for this organization scheme:  Options > File Location > Cover Art > Audio mode > In the same folder as the file.

Mmmm..think I have been missing this.

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2024, 12:26:58 am »

When I make the change 'Update Tags (from library)' does MC add the album cover image to the album file?
Yes, if the file format allows it, and if you select Options > File Location > Cover Art > [x ] Also store image in the file's tag.

What MC reveals depends on where you look (which fields and tags), which app added the image(s) to the file, and the various music file formats.  To see what tags MC reads from the file (as opposed to fields only in the library), look at MC's "Tag Dump" listing in the Tag Tree.

For flac files, MC's Tag Dump lists stored images above the Vorbis comment block.  The actual binary image(s) are indeed stored in the file header, preceding the music section.  Here is an example of what to expect:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,138600.msg961307.html#msg961307

You can check yourself for the various cases you raise.  MC does not write multiple images to a music file, and ignores multiple images if present (though it lists them in Tag Dump) aside from the last one labeled as a cover.  Mp3tag is a reliable independent check of what is in the file, and it writes, reads, and displays multiple images per flac file.

For even more detail, use a text editor (for example Notepad++) or something like Beyond Compare to examine the bytes as text, which would show tags and image headers.

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2024, 11:40:16 am »

So, now I'm thinking that if a new album (rip, download...) shows the album cover to be in the same place as the album files, that is the best option (since the album and the cover art will be copied over whenever I back up my music files). But, I remember this reply to a previous post of mine:

And in the event you're unaware, you can also store/embed album art in the music file's tag directly. So you do not actually have to "store" cover art anywhere. That said, I would not recommend doing that, as having separate, dedicated cover art .jpg files (i.e. not embedded as a track tag in the FLAC, MP3, etc. file) serves as a backup in the event you delete the music file itself with the embedded cover art.

And, anyway, do I need to do Library Tools > Update Tags (from Library)?

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2024, 12:07:32 pm »

And, therefore, I don't have to do Library Tools > Update Tags (from Library)?
Probably correct wrt images, if you have selected the options mentioned above they should get written into the music files automatically.  Other fields will likely be automatically written to the file if they have individually checked the box "Save in file tags (when possible)".  It is certainly easy enough for you to confirm, again looking at MC's "Tag Dump".  As an extra check, use Mp3tag or have a look at the binary for a few files.

As a strategy, I personally recommend storing the cover art both in the audio files as well as adjacent in the album directory.  I've assumed you wish to do the same.  "In the file" makes cover art available to many other players/devices and is an extra built-in backup for the sidecars.  Relative to the size of music files, cover art generally takes up very little space. 

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2024, 12:35:41 pm »

Probably correct wrt images, if you have selected the options mentioned above it should happen automatically.  Other fields will likely be automatically written to the file if they have individually checked the box "Save in file tags (when possible)".  It is certainly easy enough for you to confirm, again looking at MC's "Tag Dump".  As an extra check, use Mp3tag or have a look at the binary for a few files.

Personally I recommend storing the cover art both in the audio files and adjacent in the album directory.  In the file makes them available to many other players and is an extra backup.  Relative to the size of music files, they generally take up very little space.

OK, if I understand, as a long as I have 'Tools > File Location> Cover Art > Also Store Image in File's Tag' ticked, I am doing what you say (storing the cover art both in the audio files and adjacent in the album directory). Right?

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2024, 12:42:57 pm »

Also Options > File Location > Cover Art > Audio mode > In the same folder as the file.

Ca suffit!

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2024, 01:01:22 pm »

Also Options > File Location > Cover Art > Audio mode > In the same folder as the file.

Ca suffit!

Merci beaucoup!
Pages: [1]   Go Up