INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A novice's guide to installing MC and mounting an external drive (NAS) on Linux  (Read 461 times)

fegelmej

• Junior Woodchuck

I recently upgraded from a Pi3 B to Pi5.  Unlike the Pi3 there is no IdPi system yet available to streamline the setup.  I was a complete novice to Linux before starting this process, and while still a novice, I've learned a few things needed to make MC work on Linux with an external drive.  Thanks to this forum members @BryanC, @Awesome Donkey @Nybex and @HaWi for their suggestions and being patient with me as I muddled my way through.

I used the Raspberry Pi OS 64 bit - a Debian based system.  I understand that these basic controls will work on Ubuntu based OS, but I haven't tried it yet.

You'll need to get comfortable with the "Terminal" app on the OS.  This is a command prompt interface, like DOS.  It's worth spending a few minutes with a Linux primer like: https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/linux-tutorial/.

Once you're comfortable with the Command prompts then run
Code: [Select]
sudo app install curlThis installs the necessary framework to install MC 32 proper. To install MC, run BryanC's installer
curl https://git.bryanroessler.com/bryan/installJRMC/raw/master/installJRMC|bash
This should bring up MC 32.  If you have files stored on the Pi OS, they will automatically import, but if you have an external drive you will need to mount it to the Pi Os so that MC can find it.  There are a lot of tutorials and advice out there to manage this.  I found much of them to be too complicated and lacking context to get where I wanted to go.  Here's what worked for me.

First create a target folder in the OS file tree (the /mnt or /media folders are intended for this) with
Mkdir /mnt/your name (File names are case sensitive in Linux) and then install the Networked File System application (nfs).  This is a good tutorial where you can copy the command prompts and get things rolling. https://linuxconfig.org/basic-nfs-installation-and-configuration-on-linux.

Now, you'll need to edit the /etc/fstab file on the Pi Os.  This sounds daunting, but it is straightforward.  Use the prompt
sudo nano /etc/fstab to open the file.  Then enter a line that looks like this.
//192.168.1.*/Audio /mnt/NAS nfs defaults,auto 0 0
192.168.1.*/Audio is the location of your files on the NAS.  You'll want to make the NAS IP address static.  This should be easily accomplished from the NAS control panel. You'll also want to enable nfs, or in my case ftp, on the NAS control panel for the folders you'll be accessing.  Removing password control also simplifies this process.
/mnt/NAS is the folder you created in the first step where the NAS will be mounted. 
nfs is the file transfer protocol you established in the first step, and the rest is standard /etc/fstab settings.

Hit control o, save it as /etc/stab then exit with contol x

You then want to reboot, or run
systemctl daemon-reload
You should now be able to locate the external drive in the MC Import function under "other places"

Good luck!  I hope this offers some assistance.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Thanks for documenting what you learned.
Pages: [1]   Go Up