INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Two instances of MC looking at the same file folders  (Read 425 times)

Sky King

• Galactic Citizen
Two instances of MC looking at the same file folders
« on: July 30, 2024, 05:32:37 am »

I currently have two HTPCs building libraries from the same set of folders for testing purposes.

I am assuming that there are some negatives from having and using two instances of MC looking at the same file folder(s) but am not sure what the downsides would be other than some possible differences in synchronization.

Can anyone help pointing out the downsides to doing this?

Thanks for your thoughts.

craigmcg

• World Citizen
Re: Two instances of MC looking at the same file folders
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2024, 06:04:58 am »

While others may have more/better explanations why doing this is not advisable, my experience with doing this some time ago was that the 2 desktops and 1 laptop that were each pointing to the same files were all updating their libraries and files as changes were made by me on one pc.

The main reason that I have since used Library server to share the Master library with all my devices is that when I make a change in the "server" library it only needs to be made there to be visible in all "client" devices (after restarting either Media Server or Media Center on each client). The other reason is that I don't want to risk damage to the Master Library caused by me, others, or a bug in early builds of a new major version of Media center. I always do my user testing of each major build on client devices before feeling comfortable to install it on the server pc maintaining the Master Library. Note that I only remember one case years ago where a bug in an early build adversely affected some users libraries so my delays in moving to the new major version on the server pc are out of an abundance of caution.

Sky King

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Two instances of MC looking at the same file folders
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2024, 06:13:36 am »

Thanks for your thoughts and experiences!  I, too, quickly realized that I was acting like a dog spinning in circles chasing its own tail trying to figure out why things were mysteriously changing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up