INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HDR 4k UHD source video: audio but no video  (Read 812 times)

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
HDR 4k UHD source video: audio but no video
« on: August 08, 2024, 09:46:25 am »

I haven't been using JRiver for video for awhile until the Olympics where it's ability to skip commercials is such a timesaver.   I would like to use MC for all video but I can't get MC to display video for 4k UHD HDR video in HDR mode.   I don't know if the problem is my mediocre hardware (Intel NUC 11th gen i3 UHD graphics), HDMI cable  or MC.   

When trying to playback a ripped 4k UHD version of Bladerunner 2049, for example, it is clearly running playing audio but no video is displayed on the LG OLED (48C2).   I have got HDR turned on in WIN10 and the default HDR settings in MC32.   If I turn HDR off in Windows, the 4k video plays fine in SDR mode.   So is the Intel GPU not capable of playing back 4k HDR?   Or perhaps HDMI cabling?  I am using short (6') cable but it isn't premium certified.   Or some settings in MC?   Advice appreciated.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: HDR 4k UHD source video: audio but no video
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2024, 10:24:06 am »

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2024, 11:36:35 am »

Ok, Jim.   I tried the "performance" and "balanced" quality presets.  Same result.   Now the quality preset is stuck on balanced and I can't change it back to performance (where it probably belongs given my GPU).  When I click on the performance radio button and then load preset nothing changes - it remains on balanced.   How do I change it back?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2024, 12:17:29 pm »

That wiki topic has a section on HDR.

Also, do a Google search for jriver HDR.  Here's an example of what's been discussed before:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=134038.0

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2024, 01:29:59 pm »

The HDR Wiki just tells me I can load various quality presets.  I know that and have done it except now I want to unload one preset and load another or just not load any presets and go back to default.  It doesn't say HOW to do that.

Update:  I just successfully set the quality preset back to "performance."   I have no idea why the "load preset" button popped up the overwrite message this time but it did and it stuck.   Anyway, the original problem remains: how to get  HDR source video to the screen in HDR format.

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2024, 09:09:27 pm »

I read in one of the threads on HDR that one of the options for HDR mapping in MADVR was to let MADVR do the mapping and send the HDR conversion to the display without the metadata.  The display would in fact  be receiving the HDR signal but would not report the HDR flag.    Is JRVR doing that when it plays the 4k UHD video with HDR turned off in WIN10?  It should be turning on HDR automatically when it receives an HDR source signal even if HDR is turned off in Windows, right? 
Pages: [1]   Go Up