INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC33 won't detect blank CD for burn - while Windows, other s/w does  (Read 156 times)

Gio300ZX

• Junior Woodchuck

I want to burn an Audio CD from a set of flac files previously ripped from an Audio CD (I lost the CD and want to replace it). The flac files play fine in MC33 (and other players). I have a Dell laptop and a Dell USB DVDRW Drive. I can play Audio CDs and rip them with this setup. Also play DVDs so that bit's working fine.

I have TDK CDR disks and have burned others from the same stack no problem via the same laptop / drive. But when I insert one of these CDs and try to use MC33 to burn an Audio CD, it doesn't detect the blank CD. Power2Go does. Windows does. Just not MC33. It will detect an Audio CD, but not the blanks. Is there a fix for this? MC33 is the only s/w I have which will burn an Audio CD from flacs.

TIA - Mike

dtc

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC33 won't detect blank CD for burn - while Windows, other s/w does
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2024, 12:23:42 pm »

I saw the same thing but did not look into it in detail since I only had 1 disk to burn and only do this occasionally these days.  I just changed to using Windows for the burn.

Gio300ZX

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2024, 03:32:38 pm »

I saw the same thing but did not look into it in detail since I only had 1 disk to burn and only do this occasionally these days.  I just changed to using Windows for the burn.
Does Windows burn flac files in Audio CD format?

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2024, 04:19:35 pm »

Yes. It is an option in Windows Explorer. I do not remember how I did it, but a search should give you the steps. This was the only time I have done it. I usually use MC.

Gio300ZX

• Junior Woodchuck

Yes. It is an option in Windows Explorer. I do not remember how I did it, but a search should give you the steps. This was the only time I have done it. I usually use MC.
I looked at every option in Windows Explorer. Nothing relevant. I did a search - several, really, with different wordings - and nothing that used Windows Explorer natively. Mostly wanting to sell you DVD / CD creators offer "free downloads" tht you then need to pay to actually get the darn thing to work. Not going to fall for that.

I found 2 old freeware progs recommended and mentioned on audio sites. ImgBurn and Burrrn (3 x r). First I chose ImgBurn as IIRC I used it before back in the day, it would burn DVDs as well and it seemed to have an active support forum. But the configuration options were so many / complex (a bit like MC 33), I gave up - no time to become a poweruser.

Burrrn was much easier to use - no fiddling with options, just enter the CD text, drag/drop the files and it just works (once I worked out that the strange SCSI error it reported hinted at issues with today's USB hub - so I plugged it into the laptop directly and it worked fine). CD plays both on my Audiolab Omnia and via MC33 on the same CD drive that MC 33 wouldn't recognise the existence of the blank drive.

Since the wobbly RAM pack on my ZX-81, I've been wrangling computers and software to just do what they say they do and having to try get-rounds to find one that works. Frustrating that's still the case in 2024. It would have been so much simpler if MC33 just detected the blank and wrote the Audio CD like it says it will.

dtc

• MC Beta Team

Here are the instructions I followed. I did it on Windows 7, so I am not sure if it is available in the 10 or 11.

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-burn-files-and-folders-disc-windows-explorer/

Pages: [1]   Go Up