INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mattkahn TV problems  (Read 294 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
mattkahn TV problems
« on: October 20, 2024, 03:55:40 am »

... MC's TV module is quite limited in my experience vs MPC-BE or MPC-HC,  ...
In what regard?

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
Re: mattkahn TV problems
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2024, 05:20:09 am »

In what regard?
I've posted details of various issues before but the most obvious blocking issues were

* live mode just does not work with a few devices I've tried & timeshifted has extreme lag
* unfixable lipsync problems
* unable to control various parameters of the input (resolution, frame rate)

in contrast, either mpc variant has just worked without issues with every card I've used.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2024, 05:24:26 am »

How long ago did you test?

Did you report problems on the TV board? 

We just don't see many problems now and we support a lot of different formats and hardware.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2024, 05:48:55 am »

looking back.... previous threads include

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,137262.msg951686.html#msg951686 (not sure if this is MC problem or card problem)
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,130584.msg905482.html#msg905482 (this mentions the audio sync problem, fixed some other problems but the sync is still a problem)
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,112697.msg779438.html#msg779438 (an issue with shifting from live to timeshifting)
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,112615.msg778873.html#msg778873 (an older thread referring to lag, same lag has been there on every card I've tried aka live mode just doesn't work so well)

cards I've tried are that hauppauge colossus, 2 different magewell USB devices and a magewell pcie capture card and a blackmagic decklink mini recorder (also pcie)

each one has had different foibles that make them unusable but worked fine in MPC or OBS. The only one that had issues across multiple devices was the blackmagic which produced a blackscreen when fed with the output of a STB (seemed it didn't like the resolution)

I have a spare magewell usb device I'd send to you if you were closer, in my experience these are pretty bulletproof so would be nice if they worked in MC. They also have their own SDK supported on some devices which you could integrate to get access to >2 audio channels, has a low latency mode & seems like they do also get some sort of hdr metadata coming in too.

the feature in MPC-HC that I mentioned which is useful is direct and easy access to controlling some parameters of the input card (see attached for UI), change this and it just restarts the capture at the new setup whereas in MC it involves going into the filter graph, finding the right pin, changing a property and then hoping that it sticks after you restart manually (I find it rarely does stick, seems like that gets reset immediately)

this behaviour is current as of MC33

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2024, 08:20:47 am »

Could you test the current version without madVR?

I know that Hauppauge Colossus works.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2024, 08:31:01 am »

I don't use madvr at all anymore, at least not for last 3-4months. It's all jrvr. I have tested on mc33 with jrvr, nothing has changed. Fwiw the hauppauge card is no longer relevant as it is not a 4k card.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2024, 10:05:19 am »

So your main problem is that MC won't support the magewell ?

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2024, 10:09:49 am »

No, my problem is that MC's capture card support has fundamental flaws that make it unusable for live input in my experience (the audiosync problem has been present on every single card I have ever used, the advice was to use time shifting but that adds massive lag and was unreliable anyway)

My point about the magewell is that they make solid cards that have an SDK that lets you do more with them and that are available at a range of price points. If you wanted to pick a set of cards to explicitly support and validate as "works with MC" then they look like a good choice to me. This would surely hoover up the "want an envy type solution without paying envy money" crowd (no idea how big that is but there seems to be plenty of videoprocessor users on avs so certainly there is interest)

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2024, 10:15:11 am »

For reference, the last point refers to this thread https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=131791.0

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #9 on: Today at 09:52:06 am »

For reference, the last point refers to this thread https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=131791.0

We are working on this.  It is coming slowly as I am still trying to figure out the logistics.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up