INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Linux Files Owner and Permissions  (Read 134 times)

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Linux Files Owner and Permissions
« on: Yesterday at 01:08:18 am »

I am setting up a server and multiple client PC's. All will run Kubuntu, nothing to be installed other than MC. I have never setup multiple drives with Linux, or shared over a network, and I have some questions.

All PC's will probably have the same user name and password. I do not need access to the PC's from outside of the network. Ideally all PC's can read and write to the server drives.

I assume Samba should be used to have access to the server drives from the other PCs.

When I add ext4 drives to the server, the owner is 'root', and there are no permissions. I know how to change owner and permissions, but I do not know what to change them too.

What should the owner be for the server drives? Will assigning an owner block access to the files if the drives are moves to a different PC with a different user?

What should the rwx ugo be for the drives? I am fine to have full read write permission from everyone on the network, but I ask in case this may create security concerns.

Any help is appreciated. I understand the answers can be based on personal preference, but i am curious about good practices, or tips to avoid doing something stupid. Like what works well for peoples current setups.

Thanks

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Linux Files Owner and Permissions
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 09:18:22 am »

If everything is Linux just use NFS, SMB overhead is only necessary if you want other operating systems in the mix. File ownership will generally be by your user (there are competing strategies here, but simplicity makes the most sense in this case), personally I use 644 for media files.

Permissions can be easily changed in the future so don't overthink it. I believe that you are conflating mount permissions and file permissions, so get that straightened out and it should fall into place.
Pages: [1]   Go Up