INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Writing an Expression to Help Control the Shuffle Function  (Read 100 times)

AudibleImagery

• World Citizen

Hello all,

I was wondering if someone could help me write an expression for the shuffle function that would help me to control it a little better. I want to make the shuffle function a little more listener-friendly by inserting interludes, skits, and instrumentals in-between disparate genres so that the jump from something like classical to hip-hop seems less abrupt.

The expression would function as follows and build a playlist using the following parameters after starting the shuffle function:

If [Genre A] is playing and [Genre B] will play next, instead insert [Genre C, D, or E] first before playing [Genre B].

Do you think an expression like this is possible? Please let me know your thoughts.

Regards,
Audible

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Writing an Expression to Help Control the Shuffle Function
« Reply #1 on: Today at 01:00:32 pm »

I don't think you could get even close to this goal with expressions. I don't know everything MC though, so would be happy to be proved wrong :)

I don't know the origin of your original shuffled playlist, but reading your request made me wonder if you had tried Play Doctor at all?

At its most basic, Play Doctor kicks off a playlist of 100 tracks.
When the first track is done, it adds another to the end of the list, so there's always 100 tracks queued up.
The clever bit comes when you skip a track. You would typically skip a track because it comes on and you're like, "Whoa, I'm not in the mood for that", and with that skip, MC removes all similar tracks from the up-coming 100, and replaces them with others.

I find that generally, four skips into an unseeded Play Doctor session is all that's needed for hours of music suited to your current mood. Honestly, Play Doctor is just, brilliant :D

jctcom

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Rush - Styx - Yes - Porcupine Tree - Staple Food!
Re: Writing an Expression to Help Control the Shuffle Function
« Reply #2 on: Today at 02:05:06 pm »

The clever bit comes when you skip a track. You would typically skip a track because it comes on and you're like, "Whoa, I'm not in the mood for that", and with that skip, MC removes all similar tracks from the up-coming 100, and replaces them with others.

I find that generally, four skips into an unseeded Play Doctor session is all that's needed for hours of music suited to your current mood. Honestly, Play Doctor is just, brilliant :D

This is great.  I never knew about this function.  Will be testing and using that in the future.

I wish they would also add a function similar for rating tracks.  I.E. rate something a 2 star or less and it will remove similar tracks like if  you skipped them.  But this is a pretty good alternative.

Thanks.

Carl.
Carl's Music: https://cloud.clz.com/jctcom/music
Carl's Movies: https://cloud.clz.com/jctcom/movies

Some of Carl's Equipment:  Yamaha RX-A2A, i7-11700K, 128GB, PCIe X4 2TB M.2 SSD, GTX-970, SMSL DL200
Pages: [1]   Go Up