INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice Please: How to . . .  (Read 845 times)

Ken Brookings

• World Citizen
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Advice Please: How to . . .
« on: January 13, 2003, 05:22:43 am »

I (as will be obvious) don't know much about database management.  Here is my question.
I've got about 12,000 files (ape, wma, mp3) on my hard drive.  They are all beautifully organized into a library with accurate tagging, ratings etc.  Three other computers in the house pull from this database and their libraries are a mess.
The problem is that the 12000 songs are distributed in about 4 locations (c/mymusic, c/mymusic2) and so on.  One location has a few thousand files and a download manager folder in the middle of it all.  
When I reimport on the remote computers I get lots of duplicates (and King Sparta's dup finder only seems to look at one of the four database locations).
How can I create one new clean database (of music files, not a new library) that contains all files, no dups etc.  
I suspect this is easy and I'm just dumb about it.
Thanks in advance.
Ken

Chris Shaw

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Advice Please: How to . . .
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2003, 07:34:17 am »

Select all your tracks on the master computer and use "Tools->Rename files from properties". Turn on Directories and Filename and set them how you want. Put in a new folder as a Base Path:
e.g.

c:\MyNewMusic
ARTIST\ALBUM
ARTIST - ALBUM - TRACK# - NAME

This will move all the tracks in the library into the new location with a proper directory structure. If necessary, use KS's plugin to remove duplicates now. You can then do "Tool->Update tags" to make sure all your tags are right.
Start clean libraries on the other machines and just import from the new location. They should pick up all the correct tags

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Advice Please: How to . . .
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2003, 08:04:51 am »

>> and King Sparta's dup finder only seems to look at >> one of the four database locations

>> use KS's plugin to remove duplicates now.
I did not write that plug-in

I created Chart Finder.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up