INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: File-Buffer Streaming Mode  (Read 655 times)

mikeosbornma

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
File-Buffer Streaming Mode
« on: January 09, 2003, 08:21:16 am »

I've been using MC to do audio streaming with partial success. I often have my audio break-up during playback.

One thing that I think would be very useful in MC would be a streaming mode that basically buffered an entire song. This may be less useful for large video or audio files, but since most people want to stream audio over networks that don't guarantee QOS and file-buffer mode would be great. You may have a long wait for the first song, but after that you can pipe-line the downloads so that when the first clip is done the second is ready.

Would this be a difficult feature to add to MC. I think it would get lots of use. There is nothing worse then trying to listen to music with drop-outs, which, depending on your internet routing, is quite common.

Thanks. Mike

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: File-Buffer Streaming Mode
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2003, 11:57:42 am »

that would be nice.

maybe harder than it sounds.

i would figure the send of the file could start, MC could figure out the transfer rate, and add a bit more buffer to the file, look at the length of the file if that data is aval in the file header and see how much of the file needs to be buffered to play back without it breaking up.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

mikeosbornma

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re: File-Buffer Streaming Mode
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2003, 03:57:01 am »

I think transferring the entire file would actually be simple, its just a file transfer, then you play it on the local machine. The problem with changing buffer size based on a sampled bit rate is that the bit rate changes based on network (internet) activity. I just think there should be an option to make sure that you have clean audio, as I said before, audio with skips/drop-outs is unusable.
Pages: [1]   Go Up