INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ripped files are twice the size and length?  (Read 1596 times)

rory

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Ripped files are twice the size and length?
« on: December 31, 2002, 08:00:14 am »

I have recently installed MC9 running on Windows 2000 and am having trouble with CD Ripping. When ripping, I am using the MP3 Encoder (normal, 160). Everything appears to work beautifully until I go to play the newly created mp3 file. The files appear to be twice the size and length as it should be. Its hard to explain but when played back its as if each second or two was recorded twice right after eachother. So in effect every word (or second of music) is repeated once in turn making the song twice as long. Not sure what I am doing wrong. I have Nero Express on my machine and the ripping function works normal (just not as good as MC9 if it were working). Please any help is appreciated and thanks in advance. - Rory

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Ripped files are twice the size and length?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2002, 08:22:45 am »

well that should not do that but you should get better sound and save disk space if you use VBR High
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio, Music
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

rory

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2002, 08:47:00 am »

The same thing happens no matter what I use (MP3 VBR vs. MP3, normal vs. high, 128 vs 160, etc.).

RemyJ

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2002, 08:48:39 am »

Try ripping to uncompressed wav format (no encoding) to see if the duplication is happening during the audio extraction process.  If the resulting wav file sounds OK,  then try encoding it using the convert function.  Make sure to keep the original wav file so you can try various encoder settings.  
Fedora 40 x86_64 Xfce

rory

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2002, 09:57:09 am »

Thanks for the suggestions. However uncompressed wav produces the same effect. Could it be a compatibility problem with my cd burner and MC9? I am using a Yahama CRW-F1 cd recorder. 44x24x44 with 8MB buffer.  

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2002, 10:05:42 am »

Take a look at what other software is running at the same time.  Anything else that accesses the drive?

You mentioned Nero.  There have been problems with their INCD program.

rory

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2002, 10:33:46 am »

I went ahead and uninstalled all nero products on my computer and I am still getting the same effect. This is a stretch, but could it be that the buffer size is too big and causing a problem.  I notice that when I am ripping the CD I am getting speeds up to 22x's (not that I am complaining I just haven't seen it this high). Perhaps it is doing something like ripping too fast and then writing twice? I am a complete newbie to this and only taking shots in the dark... so disregard if I make no sense. Thanks againg for any and all help.  

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2002, 10:56:19 am »

It's likely to be at the driver level.  You might get around the problem by switching playback in MC settings for the drive from digital to analog.

rory

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2002, 01:50:04 pm »

I am not quit sure where you are talking about the settings for the drive. I assumed (only place I have seen the option for digital) it was the check box in device settings (from the options menu on rip cd). I unchecked 'Use digital playback'. However this had no effect either. JohnH thanks, please dont give up on me!

RemyJ

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2002, 02:14:45 pm »

Try the "Enable digital CD audio for this CD-ROM device" checkbox on the properties page for the CD drive in the Windows Device Manager.
Fedora 40 x86_64 Xfce

rory

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2002, 03:41:50 pm »

After I checked "Enable digital CD audio for this CD-ROM device" I got the following errors when trying to rip the CD: "Open drive failed.Parameter is out of range" then "read track failed, drive is not opened". Thanks for the suggestion but no luck. Please, anything else?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2003, 04:22:08 am »

You might try a search on google for similar problems.  I don't think it is Media Center.  It's possible, but this is the only case I've heard of.

If you haven't done it, search the web site of the manufacturer for a new driver.

One more possibility.  I had a problem that was solved once by switching IDE cables for a CD drive.  A tech at CompUSA suggested moving the drive to a different IDE cable and it worked.  Double check master/slave settings on your drive, as well.

rory

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2003, 02:39:24 pm »

Thanks again for the help, but after changing the ide cable as well as making the drive the only available one (as well as checking to make sure it is master) I am still getting the problem. I also dont think it is the drive as it had worked with other programs (nero, which I unistalled). I am at a total loss. Please if you have any more ideas. As much as I dont want to, I think I may have to switch programs for now until I can get this figured out. Thanks - Rory
Pages: [1]   Go Up