INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions/Questions on SmartList Property settin  (Read 770 times)

bob_j

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Suggestions/Questions on SmartList Property settin
« on: December 22, 2002, 02:31:11 am »

I wanted to create a new smartlist but could only figure out how to add the new list name.  I couldn't figure out how to set it's properties.  Phil Lee was nice enough to direct me to the wizard icon at the top middle portion of the screen when the smartlist is highlighted.  I would NEVER have found that icon.  I suggest you add the wizard menu to the pop-up menu that appears when you right click on the smartlist.  This is standard windows convention and is expected by users.

In MJ8 we were able to add categories (I think they were called categories) to the interface.  Now they seem to be listed under the organization tree on the left hand side of the screen.  I can see no way to access these when setting up smartlist properties.  I hope this is an oversite as it its one of the primary reasons why I use this product.  Also, I don't see how I can add new categories.  Right clicking on the organization tree shows me nothing like "new group" or "new category" as I would expect.

Now some comments on using the rule menu.
Add Rule, General, Rating...
  Leaves me with a dialog that I have no clue what the valid entries are.  You need something to guide the user here.

Add Rule, General, Track #
  Ok, I can do this but I can't imagine who would want to.  I think it clutters up the interface.

Add Rule, Extended, Album Artist...
  Hmmm.  You already have a Album property and an Artist property.  I have no clue what the Album Artist represents.  I simply have a choice of "empty" in the dialog.

Add Rule, Audio, BPM...
  Since there's already a Bitrate setting, I don't know what this is.

Add Rule, Audio, Intensity...
  No clue here either, and the interface gives no guidance as to what valid entries might be.

Add Rule, Display, Height (& width)
  I guess this has to do with video.  If I've selected audio media types, I shouldn't see these choices.  I'ts confusing.

Add Rule, Playlist...
  Oh my!  Have I found how to include what I thought used to be called categories?  It appears so, but I'd hardly call them playlists.  They can be used to describe playlists, but they are not playlists.  I think you should get them out of here and put them in their own "Add Rule, Category..." section.

Add Modifier, Sorting...
 This needs a lot of work.  There is no hint as to what goes on here.

Add Modifier, Full Albums
 Not quite sure what this did for me.  I'm gonna guess that it added the complete albums that have tunes that match my current ssettings.  Interesting feature.  When I selected it twice, it put it in twice.

OOPS!  I tried to remove one of the "Full Album" modifiers and the entire app closed!  This may not be your problem.  I have an internet pop-up killer that occasionally turns into a serial killer.  I think it killed MC9 by mistake.

Oh, well.  I guess I'll stop now. But before I do, I just have one other comment.
From release to release of this product you always mess with the creation of SmartLists.  Sometimes you improve it, and sometimes you just make it different.  The thing is, that you frequently make too much of a change and it's disconcerting to long time users.  Hey, I'm getting old and I don't like change.  Get something that works and stick with it.  Make only minor tweaks.
bj

PS.  
I have one other question.  You've always had a problem with this product running on W2k in accounts that don't have admin privs.  I hope you've fixed this or plan to.  I'd like to be able to install it from an admin account and have it available to all users.  Please respond to this post script with your status.

bob_j

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Suggestions/Questions on SmartList Property se
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2002, 03:01:42 am »

I forgot one thing.
If I click off of the smartlist while I'm defining it, I get the dialog asking me if I want to save my settings.  I have a choice of yes, or no.  You should also provide a cancel which would leave me in the smartlist definition mode.
bj

lee269

• Citizen of the Universe
  • sleep eat sleep eat sleep eat
Re: Suggestions/Questions on SmartList Property se
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2002, 03:25:21 am »

Heres my twopennyworth:

Im with you that the wizard should be easier to find.

Add Rule, General, Rating...
  Leaves me with a dialog that I have no clue what the valid entries are.  You need something to guide the user here.

I agree. Rating is for you to assign a 'star-rating' for your songs as 1 to 5. Lots of people have asked for actual graphic stars etc. in the library.

Add Rule, Audio, BPM...
  Since there's already a Bitrate setting, I don't know what this is

BPM is Beats Per Minute, a measure of tempo. MC estimates this during replay gain audio analysis. Its not an exact science, though.

Add Rule, Audio, Intensity...
  No clue here either, and the interface gives no guidance as to what valid entries might be

Valid entries are 1 to 5, with 5 the most 'intense'. Not sure exactly what intensity is though - Ive asked before. From experiments it is some measure of the 'loudness' of a song, but Im not clear on how (if at all) it relates to replay gain.

Add Rule, Display, Height (& width)
  I guess this has to do with video.  If I've selected audio media types, I shouldn't see these choices.  I'ts confusing.

I agree.

If I click off of the smartlist while I'm defining it, I get the dialog asking me if I want to save my settings.  I have a choice of yes, or no.  You should also provide a cancel which would leave me in the smartlist definition mode

I agree.
Pages: [1]   Go Up