INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Jukebox 9.0.82 Beta  (Read 10412 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Media Jukebox 9.0.82 Beta
« on: November 22, 2002, 11:57:12 am »

Media Jukebox 9.0.82 beta is available.

This is beta software -- some things don't work, some things may crash, and your database and tags may not be totally safe.

If you're sure you want to continue, you can download here:    

ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/MediaJukebox90082.exe

Changes    

1. Fixed: Sound recorder wasn't working with encoders.
2. Fixed: Download Manager was replacing files in Playing Now instead of appending to the list.
3. NEW: Changed system of selecting libraries in Media Server.
4. Fixed: Several sound recorder problems, including Auto volume setting problem.
5. Fixed: Problem with renaming data folders on a CD to be burned.
6. Fixed: CD burner dialog wouldn't display when data files were dragged onto an empty CD.
7. Fixed: Multi-media key handler would cause Win98 to crash.
8. Fixed: Playlists at root level weren't being sorted properly.
9. Fixed: Media Scheduler was not functioning properly.
10. NEW: Added "Invert Selection" feature.
11. Fixed: "Export Playlist..." was not functioning properly.
12. Fixed: Converter would try to replace the old file with the new file after conversion.
13. Fixed: DB field "display name" used in column headers.
14. Changed: Can rename the "display name" of default DB fields.
15. Fixed: Digital CD playback would fail in some cases on Win98.

Keep in mind that at this stage, we're getting more bug reports than we can fix each build. Please keep a list of bugs you find, and re-report anything that doesn't get fixed each build.

Thanks for your help, support, and patience.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

ZRocker

Re: Media Jukebox 9.0.82
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2002, 12:08:16 pm »

Bug:

1. I used the internal (MJ) CD burner to burn a data CD.  Well, the MP3s burned to the disk had the ID3v1 tags removed from them during the burn (to the disk)...I don't use ID3v2 tags.  I actually think the internal burner is not burning all of the data (MP3) that's why the 128-byte ID3v1 tags are gone...I think I also could hear songs' audio being truncated.

UPDATE:
On closer look at the MP3s burned to the CD, I can see (using a binary editor) that each MP3 starts with the last 2048 bytes of the previously burned MP3...so the tags and some data are being written into the next track burned!!  This is why none of the MP3s have any ID3v1 tags in them anymore (on the burned CD).

UPDATE #2:
Well, I turned off 'Apply current playback settings to CD' and the problem went away on my next data CD burn.  Ooops, looks like MJ's internal burner is trying to crossfade burn data CDs...that's not right.  This setting should only be for audio CD burns!!!

TimB

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2002, 12:31:57 pm »

Right-Click Playlist actions (such as Rename, Delete, Send To (Playlist)) don't work.

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

jgourd

• Galactic Citizen
  • Geurilla Recording At Its Best
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2002, 01:28:00 pm »

Yippie, my Firewire CD-Rs show up as CD-Rs.

Too bad they don't actually work. All three 1394 external CD-R units fail to write. The exact message is: "Can't start the write." in an exclamation dialog.

daven

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2002, 02:25:47 pm »

ok, i am too lazy to read through all the previous bug reports so i will report the one i have found so far.  after converting formats, the audio database is not updated to include the new files even though the "update media jukebox database" option is checked.  i have to manually import the new files for them to show up in the library.

Media Jukebox PLUS 9.0.82 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2390 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 266 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive D: HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8400B   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:40  MaxSpeed:40  Lib:2  GHS:1  Use MJ Engine:No
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Two second gap: No /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

ZRocker

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2002, 02:47:55 pm »

Bugs:

1. After install 9.0.82, MJ forgot the setting I had for MP3 ID3V2 tag saving (which was Don't Save (remove existing)) and reverted back to the default Save (create if necessary)....argh!!

2. When viewing file properties for files not imported (via the My Computer node), MJ shows the Date Imported field as whatever value was last viewed for an imported file...MJ should probably be showing this field as blank for files not actually imported into MJ.

3. MJ is showing a value of "12014 days, 0 hours ago" for Last Played for some MP3 I've recently imported but never played (in MJ 9.0) yet.  I can't see a pattern why  only a select few MP3s show this value...most display a correct value.

kentschu

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2002, 03:05:55 pm »

I cannot get "Convert" to work for me at all.  I used it in version 8.x perfectly to convert WMA files to MP3 on occasion.  But now, it won't convert anything.  When I try, it says "decoding" and the progress bar goes all the way from left to right.  Then it says "encoding" and just sits there indefinitely.  It won't let me cancel or close the window.  I have to close MJ completely and restart it.  Occasionally, it says "failed to convert" after it's done decoding.  I think that was when i tried converting different formats (rather than WMA to MP3).
Any suggestions?

Kent

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1  (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 1700 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 392 MB, Free - 157 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2600.0000 / ComCtl32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  No burners found.
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Two second gap: No /  Write CD-Text: No

kentschu

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2002, 03:10:58 pm »

Where is the path setting for storing Thumbnails?
I see in Options where I can select whether or not to delete thumbnails upon exit, but I don't see the path setting.  
I just found a directory full of thumbnails on my disk and I don't want them stored there.

Kent

TimB

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2002, 03:22:55 pm »

Right-Click Playlist actions (such as Rename, Delete, Send To (Playlist)) don't work.

-=Tim=-

This might be 98SE only as it seems to work on my XP machine.

-=Tim=-

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2002, 03:53:39 pm »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
MJ now runs again. Ripping now works. Digital playback now works except straight from the CD/RW. :D :D :D
:D :D :D :D :D :D

CVIII

Media Jukebox PLUS 9.0.82 -- d:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

Microsoft Windows 98 SE
Intel Celeron 536 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 260 MB, Free - 78 MB
Resource Info: System - 46 %, GDI - 66 %, User - 46 %

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.50.4916.400 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
Shell32.dll: 4.72.3812.600
wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0001) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: N/A

Ripping /   Drive F:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767

Burning /  Drive F:  40X12X48 CD-RW   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:40  MaxSpeed:40  Lib:3  GHS:1  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Two second gap: No /  Write CD-Text: No

That's right.
I'm cool.

daven

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2002, 05:07:30 pm »

i know you don't officially support shn format but the winamp plugin did work in version 8.  The strange thing is now I am able to decode when converting from shn to ogg, but i seem unable to actually play these files.  it is as if mc does not recognize shn as a playable file.  shn is ubiquitous on etree.org where i get most of my music, so this is very important to me.

nila

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2002, 05:08:25 pm »

BUG:
  • Double clicking on a .m3u playlist file in windows explorer still tries to play the file rather than loading the playlist.

REQUEST:
  • Make 'Show Audio Only', 'Show All Files', etc remember what was selected last time and use this each time MJ is loaded.

ZRocker

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2002, 07:29:28 pm »

14. Changed: Can rename the "display name" of default DB fields.

Bugs:
1. Yeah...it works, but MJ no longer formats the data 'pretty' if you rename a DB field.  Try renaming File Size or Duration and see how it displays the data afterwards.  Putting the old/original back does not fix the bug...so, I'm hosed until I uninstall and re-install MJ (I presume).  Also, MJ is very unfriendly when you rename the DB fields because it resorts all the columns back to a 'default' order and the user has to drag the columns back to a previous custom order (which is annoying to do...more than once).

2. Then, the DB fields that you've renamed do NOT display anymore (the columns) if you rearrange the columns, exit MJ and restart...argh!  Poof...they are gone.

ribble

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2002, 07:54:17 pm »

Installed 9.0.82 using Windows XP on a Dell Inspiron 7500 with speed of 650 and 512 memory.  So far, these are the problems:

1. I have a very large number of files (over 20,000).  Version 9 paints the files onto the Media Library screen; Version 8 was instant.  Does Version 9 use much more memory or what?

2. Anything I click on in the pulldown Help area, skin manager, options and a few more, crash MJ 9.0.82.  If I add these icons to the taskbar (not all available), clicking on them works fine.

vantran

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2002, 10:27:45 pm »

For MP3 Encoder VBR, version 8 has a custom commandline that I can specify the quality of the encoding.  That option is not available on version 9.  Please reinstate that option.  

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2002, 01:03:42 am »

Sometimes when I am playing an MP3 I get this message. sometimes playing the same MP3 it does not crash.

Seems to crash when it feels like it.

Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2002, 01:33:29 am »

I have most of the fields turned off not to show in this listing (this takes sometime and clicking with the mouse)

It would be nice to have a button to push for the most basic fields to display

"Artist"
"Name"
"Album"
"Duration"
"Size"
"Track #"
"Comment"
"Bit Rate"
"Genre"

And for some reason MJ just lost what I had checked and not checked and now they are all back Just like Jason In the movie Friday the 13th part 32

Also under Options & tree view settings., there is no way to Order the fields displayed like you can sort order.

if you could See the list of fields and check and uncheck from under the options & tree view settings it would be easyer to select and deselect the fields to display. when you do it from right clicking on the files list you need to keep right clicking to make it come back up.

Fayetteville, NC, USA

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2002, 03:27:50 am »

Thumbnails

Thumbnails are stored under your library folder in a directory called "Thumbnails".  You can configure where your library is with "Library Manager", and thumbnails will always go right underneath it in a "Thumbnails" directory.

DB fields and configuring visible columns

This is a mess right now.  It will get better.

SHN

We'll look into Winamp 2 plugin support.  E-tree should use APE though ;)

Thanks everyone.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

ZRocker

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2002, 04:31:13 am »

5. Fixed: Problem with renaming data folders on a CD to be burned

Bugs:
1. Renaming folders in a burn lists still crashes MJ randomly (and often).

2. If you rename files (the files' names) currently in the data CD burn list, the burn process can't find them when you click Start (to burn).  I renamed every file in a burn list because I don't like that 'copy files w/ >64 char names to Temp directory' logic that the internal burner forces and MJ's burner said 'no files to burn' error.  After the burn, I had planned on renaming the files back to their original naming format.  Can't MJ's internal burner do the same during a burn process and avoid having to copy potentially 600+ meg of files to the Temp directory just for burning (and truncating the name to 64 chars)?

3. The CD Burning Progress dialog's 'File xx of yy' statistic displays inaccurate information...it displays random xx values after each track is burned.  I see 13 of 98, then 58 of 98, then 25 of 98, then 12 of 98, then 98 of 98, then 46 of 98, and so on.

Update:
MJ is NOT burning the tracks to a data CD in the order specified in the burn list (the Seq order).  The xx number displayed is the Seq number assigned in the burn list...so, the random xx values displayed are the Seq number for the current track being burned (out-of-order).

mcphzgig

• Recent member
  • From the Land Down Under
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2002, 05:11:15 am »

Opening an audio CD in view 'CD, DVD and Handhelds' then selecting an audio track, while Properties pane is open to 'Format' view, causes an abrupt crash of MJ.

System details

AMD Athlon 1210 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 209 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2600.0000 / ComCtl32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000 / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max

Burning /  Drive E: IOMEGA CDRW9600INT-B   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:24  MaxSpeed:24  Lib:3  GHS:1  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Two second gap: No /  Write CD-Text: Yes
Media Center - Whatta concept! Wow!

lee

• nothing more to say...
Re: Media Jukebox 9.0.82 Beta
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2002, 06:36:00 am »

Just upgraded from MJ8, but found that MJ9 does not recognize my track names in unicode (shown as ??.mp3).  Have to reinstall MJ8 and wait for unicode support in future updates to MJ9.

Sam

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2002, 06:55:51 am »

I don't know if these are bugs, or problems on my PC.  And I haven't been following the threads, so I'm sorry if this is redundant:

When I installed MJ9, I got an alert window:
Windows Media Format 7.1 Audio File Setup
Error registering the OCX
c:\Windows\System32\l3codea.acm

The first several attempts to play TV, got error message:
Playback Eng
"Cannot run preview graph."

I have an ATI All-in-Wonder 8500.  I played TV on ATI software, and rebooted several times.
TV works now.  I don't know why.

I've never been able to play a DVD on MJ, and I gave up long ago.  I thought MJ9 would be a good excuse to try again.

First attempt to play a DVD on MJ, I got this message
"This disc is not formatted to play in this region."
The DVD plays fine on standalone DVD player, as well as on other apps on the PC.

Every attempt after that, I got this message:
While setting up DVD-Video playback, it was found that
*Video cannot be shown on the computer monitor because of one of the following reasons:
a) Low video memory.  Please try using lower display resolution and/or colors.
b) Another application is currently using the necessary display resources.  Please ensure that no such applications are running.
c) The display adapter is incompatible with the DVD decoder.  Please try to obtain a display driver update.

WMP9 used to play DVD without a hitch, but the latest version gives me a similar message about video resources.  And WinDVD and ATI play DVDs fine.  I even played one DVD running on both WinDVD and ATI at the same time (!!!), and they worked - although the sound and video on the two screens were very jerky.

I've tried shutting down most processes to free up memory, and that didn't help.

I'll try uninstalling some of the other video apps (which aren't actually running, even in the background) to see if that might remove some sort of conflicts...

Intel Pentium 4 1793 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 245 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106

Burning /  Drive D: PHILIPS DVD+RW-D01   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:12  MaxSpeed:12  Lib:2  GHS:1  Use MJ Engine:No

Mr.X

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2002, 07:53:00 am »

Ok, it's true. I'm an idiot. I'm sure my recording woes were only because I didn't understand how to select the proper recording input in my volume control panel. I forgot that you need to go to "properties" part of that control panel and select "recording" and select the proper input signal.

DOH!

(Sorry, Matt!)

After recording for about 3 minutes, I get the "standard" windows error box that says that Media Jukebox has performed an illegal operation, would I like to send an error report to MS?

Here's the top line of that message:

AppName: media jukebox.exe       AppVer: 9.0.82.0       ModName: enc_external.dll
ModVer: 0.0.0.0       Offset: 0000709e

SYSTEM INFO
Media Jukebox  9.0.82 -- D:\Program Files\Media Jukebox 9\

Intel Pentium III 900 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 303 MB

Ripping /   Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeSynch   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive F:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max

Burning /  Drive E: LITE-ON LTR-48125W   Addr: 0:0:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  Lib:3  GHS:1  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: Yes /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Two second gap: No /  Write CD-Text: No

kentschu

• Recent member
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2002, 07:57:32 am »

Hey, any suggestion on what to do about my "convert" problem?
I really need to convert WMAs to MP3s and 9.x doesn't convert for me...  Am I missing something obvious?

Kent

jakobluck

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2002, 12:17:01 pm »

3. MJ is showing a value of "12014 days, 0 hours ago" for Last Played for some MP3 I've recently imported but never played (in MJ 9.0) yet.

I also am having issues encoding using the "external encoder" option and pointing it to lame.exe in order to be able to use the alt-presets. MJ crashes as soon as the ripping stops, right before the encoder window is supposed to appear.

AMD Athlon 1396 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 350 MB

Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1106wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0001) , ASPI for Win32         DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0001)

Ripping /   Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeSynch   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767

Burning /  Drive F: PLEXTOR CD-R   PX-W1210A   Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:12  MaxSpeed:12  Lib:2  GHS:1  Use MJ Engine:No

ZRocker

« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2002, 02:51:33 pm »

Bug:
1. When viewing folders and files on a data CD (for a CD-Rom/RW under the CD, DVD, & Handhelds node), MJ allows you to rename folders, file DB fields and filenames...ah what?  That should NOT be allowed and it really confuses MJ...MJ can't find files and folders that have been renamed (this should be read-only support here!).  Pressing F5 refreshes everything back to 'normal'.

kentschu

• Recent member
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2002, 06:16:24 pm »

I found the bug that was stopping me from converting: UNC.

If I use a UNC path (\\tower\music\) in the options setting for Convert to move the converted file, it dies when trying to encode.  If I use a drive letter path (c:\music\) then it encodes fine.

MJ really need better integrated support for UNC paths.  Especially as you start exporting playlists, the UNC path is the only way to go!  There should be an option in MJ that says "always use UNC for path names".  I hate it when I accidentally forget to force a UNC path and I get a drive path that doesn't work in my playlist on other systems.

Needless to say, the Convert function at least needs to accept a UNC path.  Most other sections of MJ accept UNC, even though it's not made very easy...

Thanks

Kent

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2002, 06:36:47 pm »

kentschu,
I was trying a wma to mp3 convert and achieved it (after refusal at first) by redownloading the LAME converter from the web page. Glad you found a way that works for you.
CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2002, 06:42:03 pm »

Two minor bugs have been bugging me:

1. The install screen says "alpha" (I DID say "minor".)

2. In "properties>tools", you can only manually change one item. To change another, you have to click on another file and then go back. Then you can change one more item. If you have to change a third, you have to repeat the process.

Everything else seems to work fine  ;D ;D ;D

CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2002, 02:52:14 am »

When you come back from A Plug-in and MJ needs to make changes to the tags it does not change them untill the user clicks on the file listing.

this started doing this a few builds ago.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

ZRocker

« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2002, 03:55:36 am »

Bug:
1. When you change the Font setting in MJ, the Track Info (file props) window does not update properly.  Closing the Track Info windows and re-opening the window 'fixes' the problem.

plas

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2002, 04:07:31 am »

Windows taskbar doesn't work. If I start a new application, it doesn't add a button to the taskbar. If I close some application, then it isn't removed from the taskbar. I must switch between applications by ALT+TAB. Previous versions of MJ9 didn't do it. I have Windows 98SE.

TimB

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2002, 04:29:57 am »

Windows taskbar doesn't work. If I start a new application, it doesn't add a button to the taskbar. If I close some application, then it isn't removed from the taskbar. I must switch between applications by ALT+TAB. Previous versions of MJ9 didn't do it. I have Windows 98SE.

I had this too but I didn't realize that it was MJ9 that did it.

Also my digital output option on my volume control keeps on turning off and cutting out my sound.

I have Win98SE too.

-=Tim=-

ZRocker

« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2002, 07:35:57 am »

Bugs with Upload Files:
1. Won't successfully upload...just says 0 of 6 files transferred (even though it did connect to server successfully).

2. The tab order is wrong with the FTP File Upload dialog.

3. The Port Number editbox is too small for a 5-digit port #.

4. The Location dropdown box does not remember previous address\path values.

5. Specifying a valid path in the Location box results in 'unable to connect to host' errors.

6. Can MJ remember all the settings (Anonymous, Port, Login, Password) for each Location remembered (when Location history works)?

plas

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2002, 09:51:35 am »

Custom quality for Ogg Vorbis encoder can't be set.

brainsoup

• World Citizen
  • Sexy! No No No...
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2002, 10:42:40 am »

This happens to me too, I'm using Win ME

Also RealOne is now working for internet radio/video but Windows Media Player 9 Still Isn't

Keep up the Great Work

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2002, 11:48:42 am »

I have Win98SE with the taskbar problems that you mentioned. They WILL fix it. I call your attention to the "warning" at the beginning of this thread.

Also, in another thread:

"Uninstall RealOne and get the realplayer... It is a lot less intrusive.

The WMP problem could be theirs or ours, but we won't look at it hard until they are out of beta and release an SDK.  We don't recommend installing WMP9 right now."

What I don't have is RealOne or Windows Media 9. Both are proprietary and tend to "steal" file associations, at least, and maybe more things that can't be so easily detected.
I had problems of all sorts until I got rid of RealJukebox (never had RealOne ... looked like a rip off to me) and Windows Media 8 (never had 9 as I had given up on it by the time it came out).

You do, however, need stripped-down versions of RealPlayer and Windows Media to operate Media Jukebox with those types of files (wma and r**). You don't have to have them with all their quirks, though.

The Windows Media that you need comes with Media Jukebox.

RealPlayer can be accessed http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=displa y;num=1024579130;start=0

CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

ZRocker

« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2002, 03:26:15 pm »

Bugs:

1. Again, MJ forgot my ID3v2 Tag creation setting (Don't Save (remove if existing)) and reset back to the MJ default (Save (create if necessary))....argh.

2. Did a simple Rename From File Properties on 100 files at once and MJ added ID3v2 tags to each of the 100 files (took forever)...on a file rename operation...ah what?  [partially caused by #1 above, but to add tags on a file rename is not right...is it?  all I wanted was to rename some files...I did NOT change *any* tag information.]

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2002, 04:17:35 pm »

Bug Report
RE: Win 98SE Users
In case you missed it amidst all the banter, the taskbar DOES disappear (actually it's there but is non-functional) when MJ9 is running and comes back when it's closed.
Just doing my job, sir.
CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

dragyn

« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2002, 04:51:17 pm »

[shadow=black,down,300]Bugs[/shadow][/list]
    • ape/apl files show as incomplete for album type (ape image file).

• opening a playlist (.pls), files always show the imported icon even if the option to auto import is off. right clicking in playing now shows the option to "import file into library".
    • if "playlists" is expanded, new playlists that are created do not show automatically.
    • exporting playlists with invalid file name characters result in no file being created. ie: RadioStorm: 80s
    • media library tree doesn't automatically update a "playlist" view scheme when changing a playlist name.
    • if media library tree is selected, dragging and moving a playlist in the playlist tree doesn't update. have to first select the playlist, then move.
    • "Export All Playlists...", "Help, Ineract...", etc processes while clicking. "..." usually means a dialog box of some sort, be it options or whatever, will pop-up before executing.

• search, playlist bar, file properties, & columns (auto resize) doesn't update when changing display font. statisics, categories, & property bar uses wrong font (refresh).
    • playlist bar doesn't update when changing windows' colors (refresh).
    • view filter hides files when searching limited tracks (~t=60, ~s=650, etc) resulting in an incomplete list.

• search criteria is unable to add a playlist group from "playlists..." (playlist="group").
    • view scheme (!=group) is unable to add & edit search criteria manually if there is search criteria previously added (no keyboard cursor).

• buttons for control bar & property bar doesn't use xp skinning for buttons. (skins disabled, plain lookin')

• remaining_time counts up for live http streams in visualizations.
    • "name" isn't update in visualizations/track info for live http streams when id3 info is available.

• clicking and releasing a drop down arrow from the "file" toolbar at the top crashes mj.
    • renaming a library name says library already exists or goes back to previous with inline editing.
    • using different libraries, favorites menu could point to invalid items (doesn't exist).

• using large fonts: player window, file properties, playlist bar, and tab headers clip the fonts (spacing, unreadable).
    • file properties (internal and windowed) has no horizontal slider.
    • columns in statistics for file properties are not remembered when switching views.
    • control bar doesn't use the correct font.

• mj reports successful tag removal on read-only files. tag has not been removed.
    • after removing a tag (mp3), the tag editor will not write new tags (when told to) for inline editing using the same string (pressing enter). changing the value writes it.
    • removing id3tags from mp3s, and then having mj rewrite them ("update tags (from library)" or automatic writes), it will write a value for comment in the id3v1 field. This value could be of peak level, rating, or MJ version as shown in winxp file properties.
    • viewing the tag dump, it shows comment without a value (id3v1) and no values for id3v2.
    • re-importing the same mp3, comment field (library header) shows as "Media Jukebox" and tag dump as nothing (both id3v1&2),

• inline editing files and doing up/down for the next file loses keyboard focus if the tags needs to be written (saving tags).
    • moving up & down from inline editing multiple files, property page does not update for the file being edited.
    • the "ok" button goes off screen if the error box becomes too big (a lot of files failed to update).
    • view scheme groups sometimes get left behind when switching libraries. restart needed.

• filename/location isn't showing sub directories if there are a lot of files in parent directory. when first importing, these show properly. if using the parent directory as root, sub directories show.
    • selecting a computer (unc root) for filename/location says directory does not exist. adding it manually works.

• adding "auto smartlist (music)" to a playlist view scheme isn't showing components underneath it.

• condensed display mode (toggle list style twice) will sometimes start the first item displayed instead of the one selected. usually happens when viewing all files from a parent view like artist (with more than 1 album). individual items like album from arist/album works ok.
    • locate file, on disk (internal) freezes for unc files.
    • importing files that a codec cannot be found (avi especially), MJ stops responding.
    • "Auto Smartlist (music) / Top Hits - 100 most played" is showing files that were never played. needs numberplays=>0 added.

• when importing video files, mj goes in and out of focus. when mj is in background and you try bring it to the front, other applications go in and out of focus because mj can't be brought to the top.
    • display window isn't resizing viewing area when control bars are always shown. track info, video, visualizations, and none (cover art). top arrow for scroll bars in track info is hidden behind the player bar (windowed).
    • viewing an image (right-click, show), it always goes to full screen mode even if windowed mode is activated (jump on play set to none).
    • viewing an image (right-click, play), the control bar shows n/a for file names.
    • thumbnails do not show in correct order from the list shown when switching views.
    • full screen on monitor #2 retains focus when auto-hide bars hide.
    • full screen is always on top. other full screen programs allow windows to be put on top of it (ie: remote desktop). dual monitor setup.
    • using "last exit mode", windowed mode won't show upon startup.

• changing display image location doesn't update pic (gif). restart needed.

[shadow=black,down,300]Requests[/shadow]
    • checkbox system for columns (like importing).
    • separate settings for the control bar, one for each mode (internal, windowed, and full screen).
    • option to always hide control bar.
    • windowed toolbar button.
    • splitter bar for the search window.

AMD Athlon 805 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 196 MB, Free - 72 MB

Ripping /   Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max

Burning /  Drive E: TEAC CD-W54E   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:4  MaxSpeed:4  Lib:2  GHS:1  Use MJ Engine:No

JohnT

« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2002, 05:20:17 pm »

I'm sure my recording woes were only because I didn't understand how to select the proper recording input in my volume control panel. After recording for about 3 minutes, I get the "standard" windows error box that says that Media Jukebox has performed an illegal operation, would I like to send an error report to MS?
    Actually, if you choose "line-in" or "microphone", MJ will select them for you. You only need to manually set up the windows mixer controls if you select "mixer" as the recording source.
    I'm not sure why it's crashing for you. I've successfully done a couple 60 minute tests this weekend, although there is an importing problem which will get fixed on Monday. Which encoder are you using? Does it work differently if you choose "uncompressed wave"? Check where your temp directory is and amount of disk space.
    John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

JohnT

« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2002, 05:28:39 pm »

Yippie, my Firewire CD-Rs show up as CD-Rs.

Too bad they don't actually work. All three 1394 external CD-R units fail to write. The exact message is: "Can't start the write." in an exclamation dialog.
    Can you describe your firewire setup? Is it a single enclosure with multiple burners in it, or are they separate drives? If it's a single enclosure, what is the make and model? Also, please post your system info so I can get more data on the drives.
    Thanks!

John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

V-Man

« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2002, 11:39:08 pm »

DB fields and configuring visible columns

This is a mess right now.  It will get better.

Suggest it would be cool to do this like MS Outlook, ie a floating panel showing column headers, drag/drop onto the header bar, drag off the bar to remove.

Or perhaps simpler but less cool, a listbox of checkable items available from the Options dlg.

Edit: Sorry, just realised suggestions shouldn't go in this thread. Oh well, just ignore it  :P

ZRocker

« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2002, 06:13:12 am »

Bug:

1. The Locate File in view scheme feature does not drill down to the deepest node if you have 'Add a grouping level' turned on for the specifed view scheme.

Also, would still like an easier (single-click) interface to get to Locate File in <whatever>.  I suggested a while back a dropdown box type feature in the toolbar that saved the last Locate File destination and a corresponding button to take you  there (again).  That way that dropdown could be used to change/configure a new destination (when desired).  If not possible now, atleast a new Menu bar item called Locate with all the location/destination options shown in the popup menu would be nice (in the meantime).  Also, having toolbar icons for the two static Locate File destinations (in MJ's Explorer and External Explorer) might be nice too.

MHarrison

• Recent member
    • nothing more to say...
    « Reply #44 on: November 25, 2002, 08:28:56 am »

The FTP site doesn't seem to be working.  Is there another way to get MJ 9 ??  Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
    • Where did I put my teeth?
    « Reply #45 on: November 25, 2002, 09:10:40 am »

The FTP site doesn't seem to be working.  Is there another way to get MJ 9 ??  Thanks.

The FTP server is running but this should work, too:

http://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/MediaJukebox90082.exe

Laird_Williams

• Recent member
    • nothing more to say...
    « Reply #46 on: November 25, 2002, 10:53:55 am »

Hello all,

In general, I have found r9beta to be far more stable that R8 ever was (at least the way I use it). No more doubled up display of CD tracks. No more occasional crashes when inserting CDs. Support for XP logins.

I did find one bothersome problem today, however. This falls in the irritation category - not the killer category.

It's hard to classify - but basically - MJB9 wigs out if you insert a new CD, you are configured to use YADB,  and YADB is down. It locks itself up (can't even repaint), chews up resources, and is generally unresponsive (although you can close it with some effort) when this happens. Sometimes it also crashes.

Bird.of.Prey

• Recent member
    « Reply #47 on: November 25, 2002, 11:31:20 am »

MJ 9 seems to take over the side buttons on my IntelliMouse Optical if it's open. So if my web browser is in focus - or any other software I use these buttons for - and click them they only affect MJ.

I have Mouse Driver version 11.40 and IntelliPoint software version 4.00.0657

AMD Athlon 1199 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 654 MB, Free - 379 MB

Shell32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000 / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
     Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767

Burning /  Drive F: TDK CDRW241040B   Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:24  MaxSpeed:24  Lib:3  GHS:1  Use MJ Engine:Yes
     Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Two second gap: No /  Write CD-Text: Yes

ZRocker

« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2002, 12:28:55 pm »

Bug:

1. Icon used for the My Computer node is the same as the Artist Info icon...ah what?  Seems like a 'My Computer' looking icon would be better (ie, a PC monitor & keyboard icon).

frobig

• Recent member
    • nothing more to say...
    « Reply #49 on: November 25, 2002, 12:45:58 pm »

I like the new Properties window, but I can't figure out how to view cover art without playing a file associated with it, and I can't figure out what Help is talking about regarding adding cover art from a folder in my system. Also, there's a problem that's a carryover from Version 8: I used to do very well getting cover art from the Web through the MJ Properties window, but I've had no luck for months. This is an especially big hassle because my old hard drive, with all my cover art, crashed beyond retrieval a couple of weeks ago. Also--in Version 8, couldn't you check and uncheck all the categories for columns in the View window in one try, rather than having to right-click the column headers for each selection? For the most part though, V9 looks great and I look forward to the official release.
    Pages: [1] 2   Go Up