INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A couple of transcoding questions  (Read 748 times)

Garfunkle

• Recent member
  • That'll always be the dream
A couple of transcoding questions
« on: November 15, 2002, 07:09:09 am »

Okay,  so I'm tired of waiting for a portable player with @%$^ OGG support, so I'm gonna take the plunge today and buy a relatively cheap MP3 CD player.

Still, about 400 of my 2200 songs are in OGG format. My questions are thus:

How great will the quality loss be transcoding 200ish VBR oggs to say 160 ABR MP3s (compared to 160 MP3s ripped from a CD). Now there's no need to start lecturing me on the evils of transcoding, this is for a portable MP3 player.

Second question, with the new burning/playback engine, is there/will there be any way to automatically transcode my OGGs to MP3 on the fly (albeit slowly)?

Thankie,

~ Adam ~

michel

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: A couple of transcoding questions
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2002, 07:19:03 am »

A few days ago I asked to iRiver what was their plan to support ogg/vorbis. They answered me they are working on it but they don't any fixed date. So that could take months still  :(

PS. Keep your ogg files even you transcode them (except if you have the CD). Soon or later you will be able to use them on a handled player.

Garfunkle

• Recent member
  • That'll always be the dream
Re: A couple of transcoding questions
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2002, 07:28:04 am »

A few days ago I asked to iRiver what was their plan to support ogg/vorbis. They answered me they are working on it but they don't any fixed date. So that could take months still  :(

PS. Keep your ogg files even you transcode them (except if you have the CD). Soon or later you will be able to use them on a handled player.

I knew when I started using OGG that this would come up. Don't worry, the only transcoded MP3s will be on CD-RWs

Even if an OGG player came out tomorrow, it'd probably be out of my price range for a good long time :)

~ Adam ~
Pages: [1]   Go Up