INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Jukebox 9.0 Preview II...  (Read 10812 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Media Jukebox 9.0 Preview II...
« on: September 06, 2002, 01:18:12 pm »

There's an update version of the Media Jukebox 9.0 preview here, but FIRST PLEASE READ THIS:

IMPORTANT-- This is only a preview -- some things don't work, some things crash, and your data may not be safe.  Don't use this preview with files that can't be replaced. If you don't consider yourself an expert with Media Jukebox, please wait for a later release. Backup your database (and files) before doing anything else.

You may also have to delete your .jmd (database files) from the folder: C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\Data or similar.  You will lose your playlists.

If you're not trembling with fear yet, you can get it here:

ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/MediaJukebox90053.exe

Some of the major changes in this preview:

Added optional album grouping (only in lists where order isn't important like Media Library)
 Added "Export All Playlists" option
 Fixed the "failed to update tags" messages.
 Filenaming templates changed to support any fields (example: use [ARTIST] instead of ARTIST)
 Lots and lots of speed improvements and bug fixes.

Thanks everyone.

-Matt
JRiver

(note: Old version 9.0 preview Media Libraries will not work with this preview.  The library data format will not be finalized for a couple of builds, so be prepared to erase and re-import with each new preview)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

DocLotus

RE:Media Jukebox 9.0 Preview II...
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2002, 01:23:34 pm »

Hot Dog... A new build!

Thanks  Matt.

Nila

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2002, 02:11:34 pm »

Matt, we love you.
Well at least I do :)

JaredH

• Superfluously Articulate
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2002, 02:42:38 pm »

Okay, couple of bugs, whenever i bring up file properties in the docked window position, the frame slider returns to its original position. Next bug, whenever i move that slider i get a clipping error on the x(close) button of the properties window that returns to normal when i run the mouse cursor over top of it. Next bug, in the file properties window i have to close and re-open the window for every change i make to take effect. THats all i see for now.

Media Jukebox PLUS 9.0.53
Install Path: C:\Program Files\Media Jukebox\

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 1801 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 1048 MB, Free - 775 MB
OS: Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1  (Build 2600)

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2600.0000
ComCtl32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer
J. A. Hayslett

Blog & Gallery - http://www.bgracetfaith.net

DocLotus

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2002, 03:08:48 pm »

Hi Guys;

Well, you did it!!

This latest build fixed all my WMA tag error problems.

THANKS SOOOO MUCH!

WoodMan

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2002, 04:10:44 pm »

Hey Matt, tried to load my mp3 files (with inages inside) from
my linux server (which is read only) and I cant see any artwork,
just blank thumbs. I remover a previous version before intalling V9,
is V9 dependant on previously loaded remnants or could something else
in my lan config be causing this.

WoodMan (formely on Music01)

BigMike

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2002, 04:44:28 pm »

Do we need to un-install version 8 before installing version 9? If I back up my library files, can I import them into inversion 9? And last but not least, if we have to uninstall version 8 first, does this effect our registration key if we go back to version 8? (if needed)

DocLotus

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2002, 04:48:21 pm »

v 90053 is playing great.

Noticed that the version number in MJ9 is missing one zero.  Shows as 9.0.53 SB 9.0.053?

Question... Whats the best way to play music & view a slideshow at the same time?  I seem to hit on it ok sometimes & other times can't make the combination work.

sekim

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2002, 04:48:41 pm »

BigMIke

1) yes

2) yes

3) NO, or at least it shouldn't

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2002, 04:54:58 pm »

What MachineHead Said.

EIB Dittos
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

DocLotus

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2002, 05:13:44 pm »

V 9.0053 bugs…

* "Properties\Image box\Image location linked to external file: XXX"… The fourth line of the text is cut off.  There seems to be plenty of room for more lines of text as most of the image box is just dark gray.

* Toggle list style… only one click is required to view images, but two clicks are required to return back to text… how come?  Is there going to be a third view in a future build?

DocLotus

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2002, 05:21:26 pm »

V 9.0053

Bug…

* Properties box (when docked)… I size the box just so; I then click on one of the right arrows to collapse it to the right border.  When clicking on the left arrow to return it to view, it does not return to the size I had previously set it at; instead, it seems to always return to a preset size that I have no control over.  Can this be fixed?

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2002, 05:49:00 pm »

Doclotus,
There is already a third view.  It combines all the images into a single image if they are all the same.  An album with eight tracks, for example, will only have a single image in that view.  Take a look at all your audio files in this view and it may make more sense.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

RemyJ

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2002, 06:16:38 pm »

OK, I'm having a hard time dealing with still images in MJ.

I guess it's not the still image support itself but the fact it's bundled in the same program as music and moving images and the 2 groups seem to meet at "Playing Now".

I realize we're still in the preview stage but here are some of my observations/questions...

W're going to need "sticky views" for folders.  I'd want the thumbnail view for images and the list view for music and maybe one or the other for video clips.

I can send a playlist to "playing now" that has a mix of tracks and images and the tracks cycle independently from the images.  That's cool for synchronized slide shows.  But, what if I don't WANT them to be related?  How would I listen to music while re-arranging my totally unrelated snapshot collection?  

Remy

P.S.  Importing replay gain now works, but track numbers are still being dropped from files whose tags were written by V8.
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

hiredirects

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2002, 07:13:14 pm »

Following-up on BigMike's question...

How can I import the playlists from version 8?

I was able to export my playlists from version 8 to .m3u files (by the way, is there a way to automate this process in version 8? Or do I have to do one at a time?)

And I can play the songs on the playlist in version 9 by clicking on the .m3u file.

And I can import the actual .mp3s by right-clicking on the .m3u file and selecting import.

But, how can I import the actual .m3u file and make it a "playlist" in MJB?

thanks,
HDMedia Jukebox PLUS 9.0.53
Install Path: C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

CPU: AMD Athlon 1393 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 73 MB

Doc Gaw

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2002, 07:15:15 pm »

Deleted 8.0, downloaded 9.0. It kept giving error message on trying to open Options, or CD playback and Plugins. Thus back to no MJ. Will try to download 8.0 again tomorrow. Bill Gaw

LCtheDJ

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2002, 11:17:01 pm »

I find that ID3 tags are NOT being written to the mp3 files.  I set tags with ...253 and then checked them in a hex editor.  Although the info shows up in MJ, it is NOT in the file.  I have the in_mp3.dll configured to save (create if necessary) both v1 and v2.3 tags.

Is there no step to save tags? It appears to auto save as soon as the tags are edited.  This give me no option to recover from a typo.  Also, I still have no direct access to BPM.  I did get the file analyser to set a number, but as you know, the auto BPM can be off by double or half.  I need a way to make corrections.  I'm hoping these kinks are because of the alpha status of v9 and not due to design.  I'll keep a watch and see how it develops.

jcouch93

• World Citizen
  • I'm confused...
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2002, 12:13:17 am »

One error:  I get a "Can't connect to server" error all the time.  No f-wall, nothing holding MJ up.  I'll do some more checking.  

Some thoughts...  I don't like the way MJ now handles file properties in the undocked view.  Before, I could select multiple files and they would all show up on the left and I could select the ones I wanted to edit.  That was useful to me.  Now it just says "Multiple Files" and I can't select more than one.  Needs to be the other way in my opinion.

This has been covered MANY times before, but I think I'll bring it up again!  :)  I think MJ should use different panes for different things, of course this view being user selectable.  I would like to have a pane if I'm making a playlist or a CD to burn.  This would help out immensely in a large library (although mine is nothing compared to some)!  

Another request (this one from my last post) is the ability to remove Replay Gain from a track.  This would be nice if I accidentally RG track(s).

Well, that's all folks.  Keep up the good work guys!

phatrabt

JimH

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2002, 03:40:28 am »

Remy,
I agree with you on some kind of "sticky" view.

Matt and I went around a few times on the issue you raise of how the two media types (audio and image) would work together.  I insisted on separate controls.  He wanted a uniform interface.  He won.  At this point, I would appreciate it if you don't try to argue for my position since we have committed to a uniform interface.  Please see if you can adapt now.

The KEY TO HAPPINESS here is to START MUSIC FIRST, then select images and hit enter or right click on the display and select "show".  After that, you should be able to select any set of music or images and hit enter to play them.  This will replace what you're currently playing or showing.  There are still a few places where it isn't quite right, but we're working on them.

Here are some instructions I added to the other threads but forgot for this one.

----- INSTRUCTIONS FOR IMAGES -----

If you're going to try the new version with digital photos, you'll need this:
[corrections welcome]

How to import images
It's similar to import of audio or video files. Use Tools/Import Media. Don't forget to check the image file types you want (jpg, bmp, gif, for example).

Viewing images
Select Media Library. In the content view (right window) sort the list by clicking on location, for example. Select the image files you want to see. Hit enter or the play button.

Seeing just image or just audio files
An icon allows you to set MJ to show only images or audio in the library. If this icon is not present, you can right click on the menu bar, choose "customize" and add it.

Toggling between list and thumbnail modes
Choose View on the Menu Bar, then Toggle List Style.

Thumbnail size
You have several options in options/tree & view for how to create and display thumbnails.

How to start a slideshow with music
There are two ways to do this.

The easiest way is to create a playlist and then add both audio and image files to it. Then select it and press the play button in the player window.

The fastest way is to start audio files playing first by selecting them and pressing play. Then select images and hit enter (not play).

The best display for image playback is in full screen and this can be activated automatically by setting this option in Tools/Options/General/Behavior and set "Jump on Play" to "Full screen (if has display".

On the display window, the arrows at the lower left switch among "None, Image, Track Info, and Visualizations". To show images, this must be set to "Image".

Configuration of Image Playback
Start image playback. Go to Playing Now. Right click on the display and choose "Configure Image Playback".  "Save as Destop Background" is also available here.

Zoom and Pan
If you have a mouse with a wheel, try using it to zoom in. P for Pan will turn pan off or on. The left and right square brackets adjust the speed of the pan.

Two New Toolbar Buttons
You will see two new buttons on the toolbar.  The one with a magnifying glass lets you select a view that is images or audio or all.  The other button lets you "toggle" the view in the content window among three choices -- files, thumbnails, and "covers".  The last one groups all the tracks from an album into a single thumbnail.  It also groups thumbnails for images similarly.
Jim Hillegass

JimH

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2002, 04:01:00 am »

Doc Gaw,
I just answered your question on AVSforum.  Here it is:

"Bill, it's probably your data files. Please read the instructions on this at the top of the thread announcing the preview on MJ Interact. You will need to delete your database files and it is explained there. If you have questions, please use the MJ Interact forum."

and from the top of this thread:

"You may also have to delete your .jmd (database files) from the folder: C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\Data or similar. You will lose your playlists."
Jim Hillegass

JimH

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2002, 04:04:26 am »

phatrabt,
> I don't like the way MJ now handles file properties in the undocked view. Before, I could select multiple files and they would all show up on the left and I could select the ones I wanted to edit.

I can do that by selecting files in the list view with ctrl-left click.  The color of the selected file isn't very bright.  We can fix that.
Jim Hillegass

JimH

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2002, 06:34:17 am »

Here is a screen shot of MJ 9:

Click here for full size image.  For full effect, you may have to turn off "enable automatic image resizing" in IE 6.0.  It's under IE/Tools/Internet Options/Advanced.

The blanks are covers that are missing.
Jim Hillegass

Mirko

• Galactic Citizen
  • Coffee ready?
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2002, 09:46:33 am »

Bug:

"Rename files from properties" tries to rename all files to "ARTIST - NAME - TRACK#". So there seems to be missing the replacing of the actual file-information.
Caution: THIS MAY OVERWRITE YOUR FILES!

RemyJ

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2002, 09:46:43 am »

>>I would appreciate it if you don't try to argue for my position since we have committed to a uniform interface

No problem.  Image support in MJ is "neat" but I'm not likely to use it a whole lot.  I've got other tools to deal with them.
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

DocLotus

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2002, 10:48:19 am »

MJ 9.0.053

Bugs…

* WMA track numbers not being imported with ‘Import Media’ command.

* Import Media Files ‘Get file information from filename/directory’ seems to do nothing.  Have tried importing WMA files with the check box marked & unmarked… no difference.  The track numbers is the first part of the filename on the hard drive…
EXAMPLE… ‘07 - Windsong.wma’ but the track number is stripped off & does not show up in any of MJ9’s fields.

drosoph

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2002, 12:41:38 pm »

Is there a plan to place the Fields Viewed/Field Order/Sort Order/View Type for each Playlist/Media Library VIEW as a "sticky" type that ONLY applies to THAT PARTICULAR VIEW ?!?!?

ie, I would like the ALBUM Media Library to use the new Ctrl-U Album View (by album, thanks for the new one) ... But I want the GENRE Media Library tab to be viewed as a detail listing, with GENRE in the first column :)

Also, how do you get your Cover Art so small in that screenshot ? Is this a setting somewhere that I missed ??

DocLotus

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2002, 01:06:28 pm »

MJ9.0.053

Would like to see…

I really like the properties docked on the right side of the play list.  I’ve noticed that I am looking at it much more then before as it is in such a handy location.

* It seems logical to add a button on the top of the properties screen so the various property screens track the currently playing selection. Click… it’s on, click… it’s back to normal.

* In the same theme of ideas… Would really like to see the ability to add any item to the ‘File properties’ screen that is available in the file selection columns. This would be much easier reading the various file attributes then it is now with scrolling sidewise to read the columns.  I could then remove most of the columns just leaving a simple… File name, Artist, Track number with the details in the ‘File properties’ screen.  This would be really neat.

JimH

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2002, 01:30:13 pm »

Doc,
More fields will be added to properties.

Drosoph,
Thumbnail display size can be set.  See the details I posted above.
Jim Hillegass

dylanstan

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2002, 03:07:08 pm »

My first bug?
I click on Add Rule, choose some Playlists, and When i click on ok Media Jukebox gives me this eror
MEDIA JUKEBOX provocó un error de página no válida en el
módulo MEDIA JUKEBOX.EXE de 0177:004767c9.
Registros:
EAX=00000000 CS=0177 EIP=004767c9 EFLGS=00010246
EBX=0098f87c SS=017f ESP=0098f7bc EBP=00000000
ECX=010da600 DS=017f ESI=02c68530 FS=2fb7
EDX=00000074 ES=017f EDI=02c688a0 GS=0000
Bytes en CS:EIP:
,02x ,02x ,02x ,02x ,02x ,02x ,02x ,02x ,02x ,02x ,02x ,02x ,02x ,02x ,02x ,02x
Volcado de pila:
,08x ,08x ,08x ,08x ,08x ,08x ,08x ,08x ,08x ,08x ,08x ,08x ,08x ,08x ,08x ,08x

It only happen Clicking on Playlists, not in any other rule!!!

My PC info:
Install Path: C:\Archivos de programa\J RiverAlpha\Media Jukebox\

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 1998 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 445 MB

Internet Explorer: 5.50.4522.1800
ComCtl32.dll: 5.50.4522.1800
Shlwapi.dll: 5.50.4522.1800
Shell32.dll: 4.72.3612.1700
wnaspi32.dll: 4.60 (1020) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-1999 Adaptec, Inc.
Aspi32.sys: N/A

Mirko

• Galactic Citizen
  • Coffee ready?
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2002, 11:23:50 pm »

Could someone please confirm, that "rename from properties" doesn't do what it's supposed to do?
Maybe I did not describe it detailed enough:

I choose "rename from properties" from the toolsmenu with the pattern "ARTIST - NAME - TRACK#". If I have a song from Metallica like Enter Sandman which may be songs #3, I would expect "Metallica - Enter Sandman - 3.mp3" as the filename. But MJ renames it to "ARTIST - NAME - TRACK#" (the variables themselfs!).
This is a quite important function for me and I would like to hear, that I'm not confused or something ;-)

THanks a lot,
MIrko

P.S. Nice picture functions. I really can't uninstall MJ9 for now. And I definitly like viewschemes "BPM" with subcategories "10-15" and so on!

P.P.S. Please put me on the "stupid users" list. You changed the format of these entries and I didn't saw that. The renaming now goes wonderfull...

P.P.P.S. Just want to say: Very good version. I love the new features, but I have to find a way of organizing pictures a usefull way. I would like to use user-defined-fields, but, as I mentioned before, they are not correctly applied in view schemes (I thought about Genre for "Vacation", "Flowers" and "Sub-Genre" for "Rhodos 2002", "Spanien 2000" and Comment for concrete location ("Kameiros", "Marbella"). The Sub-Genre isn't used correctly with view schemes (so I think I have to wait until a later build). Thanks very much for providing this version to us!

JimH

« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2002, 04:15:12 am »

Mirko,
I can't say definitely, but Matt had to make a change in another place that may be related.  Try adding square brackets -- [ and ] -- around the fields [Artist] - [....

Otherwise wait for Matt.

Jim
Jim Hillegass

bennyd

• Project Leader
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2002, 05:25:09 am »

Hi Mirko, Jim,

I have the same problem with renaming
may U live 2 see the dawn

bennyd :-)

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2002, 07:03:51 am »

Is it too early for this? I'm just trying to get a headstart...

Bugs

Column Autosize : The Name column isn't being resized properly. It's cutting off some text.

File Properties : The only way to use the "Fill Track Numbers From List Order" tool is to now send the files you want to edit to a playlist, rearrange that playlist, and then use the tool. This seems like a big step backwards, in my opinion. Maybe as a way to "fix" this, the floating Properties box could be like the old box from 8.0?

Tags : Something screwy is going on. In MJ8,  had two albums (ape apl) that had both cover art and track numbers set. When I imported these albums (I started with a fresh database) into 9, both the track numbers (for all) and cover art (for most, but not all) tracks was missing. MJ has historically not gotten along well with cover art. I've had this problem of losing cover art quite often. I just viewed a folder of music through My Computer (under MJ's Tree View) and it shows track numbers for only 3 of a 14 track album (ape apl), and on another one (mp3) it shows track numbers. I know that these track numbers appeared in MJ8.

Slideshow : If, while watching a slideshow, I doubleclick a file in Playing Now to display it at just the right moment when MJ is going to transition to a new a file, it will skip the file I double clicked and display the one following it.

Requests

Vis Bars : I'd (still) like to see seperate hide modes for each of MJ's display modes (Internal, External, Fullscreen). I'd like to have them never hide in Internal, but autohide in Fullscreen & External, for instance.

View Schemes : How about nested View Schemes? For instance, I could create a View Scheme called "Media Type" which would show Audio, Image, and Video. And then under Audio I could then have Artist, Artist\Album, Genre\Artist\Album, etc.

Replay Gain : MJ really needs Album Gain. If Playing Now contains a full album, use Album Gain, otherwise, use Radio Gain. If it's a mix between a full album and mixed tracks, check to see if the tracks belonging to the album are all in track order. If so, use Album Gain on those tracks. If not, use Radio Gain on the entire Playing Now list.

Image List View : Can there be some "missing image" image? Like the MJ logo in place of a blank square? Or better yet, an image that we can specify for all missing artwork?

Image List View : For the single image album art view, there needs to be a way to see the tracks belonging to that album. Maybe a multipaned view that shows the cover image on the left and the track names on the right? Or even a tooltip balloon like the ones that Rhino was using in his AlbumView plugin (RIP).

Content View : Can all views remember their own view settings? Basically, what I'd like to see is Playing Now being able to just display Artist, Album, Name, and Track #, but have Media Library display more detailed information, like filename, BPM, etc. I'd also like to be able to specify that an Album view scheme display the album art view, but an Artist view shows the regular text view, etc. Playing Now should be able to be independently set to always show list view or image view, etc.

Slideshow : How about an option to display the filename of the current file in Fullscreen mode?

Ripping : I'd also like to see MJ be able to rip a CD to one wav\ape\mp3 and create a CUE sheet. Being able to create the relevant APL or whatever files in addition would be great along with an option to either import the full album wav\ape\mp3 or not.

System Info

Install Path: C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

CPU: AMD Athlon 950 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 117 MB

Mirko

• Galactic Citizen
  • Coffee ready?
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2002, 11:11:30 am »

Bug:

- Track# is missing from imported files (they are created, as usual, by EAC)

HTH,
Mirko

P.S. Maybe someone should do a list of known bugs, so that we don't report the same errors again and again and so that JRiver gets maximal use of our free support here? What about JimH?

RemyJ

« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2002, 11:17:12 am »

A few more bugs...

The [Track #] file naming rule is writing track numbers that aren't zero filled...
"1 - Track Name" instead of
"01 - Track Name"

Skinned or unskinned, the track lists for the Media Library isn't always written correctly.  On a 10 track album for instance, they'll be 10 entries but starting at track 2 with 9 repeated.  Clicking on the individual entries restores the correct information.

Playlist contents are resorting themselves automatically (not good!).

The "encoder" options dialog doesn't show in the main options list.  You have to start a rip then take Options to get to it.

Dragging playlists from the Windows Explorer to import them isn't working.  If you drop the playlist on "Playlists" nothing happens.  If you drop it on another playlist it actually creates a track entry with the nameof the playlist.  Selecting "import" from the Explorer context window isn't working either.

Not sure if this is a bug or feature:  I copied my V8 library files from my production machine to the test machine then opened it with V9.  As it did the upgrade it re-created created my entire directory structure in my base music path.  Empty of course.

Remy

P.S.  In ASIO output mode, tracks don't automatically advance.  The next track always hangs at "buffering".

Oops, one more:  If you use the cool new grouping level for a view, artists that start with numbers (10,000 Maniacs, 311, etc.) are all grouped into an "(unassigned)" item.  If the level is set to 3, then groups should be created for "0-2", "3-5", just as they are for alphabetic characters.
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2002, 07:43:08 pm »

If you go to Playing Now and select Reshuffle while you're listening to it, it will shuffle, and show that the first file in the list (whatever it happens to be) is now the currently playing song, even though the song that was playing before you hit Reshuffle is the one actually playing. When you then hit next or wait for the song to finish, MJ moves on to the second file in the new Playing Now order.

Mirko

• Galactic Citizen
  • Coffee ready?
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2002, 08:56:13 pm »

Bug:

Track# are lost during importing medias. The most of my MP3s have tracknumbers, but they are not imported (or lost during audio analyze, I don't know). I have not checked on the MP3 themselfes after the import, but I guess they are gone there, too.

Maybe I'm able to restore them using CDDB-lookups.

RemyJ

« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2002, 09:02:01 pm »

Mirko, If the track numbers were part of the file names, you can recover them by selecting the tracks and using "Fill Properties from FileName".  That's how I got mine back.
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

Mirko

• Galactic Citizen
  • Coffee ready?
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2002, 10:31:08 pm »

@RemyJ: Thanks a lot, but I did a rename on all my files yesterday (using MJ9) :-/ I had them in the filename.
Yes I know I'm stupid and I should have known :-)

nila

« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2002, 12:31:43 am »

I'd like to be able to customise the info shown when it's using the thumbnail mode. Right now it just shows the artist-album and I'd like it to include year.
Also, right now it truncates the artist - albumname, I'd like it to show all of it no matter what. I'd also be able to toggle the viewmode for this type of album view like the old AV had as it seems that there's no way to get Rhino to finish this. I'd like the list style view etc he had. Also, for the properties box, when in the 'album' type view mode, I'd like a properties pane that showed album details, ie all the tracks etc.

Another thing, AV2 had a way I could specify rules for the covers. All mine are stored in the same folders as the albums and the rule I used to use which worked fine was: "\*front*.jpg"
I'd like some way of being able to do the same thing in MJ to get all my covers to show.

Also, I'd like the 'add image' select box to be smart so that when I click on add image it defaults to the mp3's directory when it opens so I can instantly select the cover from that directory. This shouldn't be too hard to add I dont think and would save a lot of time for users like me instead of having to browse to each directory. Not a big deal you say but when your doing it 500 times it is.
Maybe an option to have it open as sticky or smart (ie same dir as mp3)

Also, I'd like a tool to select all the albums that have mismatched bitrate (ie some songs in the album have a bitrate that dont match the others).

PhDSM

« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2002, 03:38:20 am »

Hi Guys,

I've tried with pleasure this new version. As a user of another Image JukeBox, I think it is important to a more complete set of field for image file. In fact I think that the field should be different for Audio, Video and Image.
My recommendation for Image fields:
- Date/Time image was taken
- Size in Height and Width
- Resolution (dpi)
- Orientation (P/L)
- Compression level
- Place/location where picture taken
- Related Event
- Author
- Source (Digital Camera, Drawing SW, Film Scanning....)
- Photographic parameters: Shutter Speed.....

Thanks and Best Regards
PDSM

PhDSM

« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2002, 03:40:19 am »

Hi Again,

An another important feature is the capability to leverage with data already load in another tools. For example having the possiblity to import data to preload fields using the filename as primary key and CSV format.
Regards

PhDSM

Mirko

• Galactic Citizen
  • Coffee ready?
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2002, 08:29:28 am »

Hi,

Where is the cddb-lookup? I can't find it anymore... as I lost most of my track#s, I really would like to have it :-/

Thanks,
Mirko

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2002, 08:35:26 am »

PhDSM> I couldn't agree more about image fields. I was thinking about how it lacks resolution and # of colors at the very least. MJ9's database will handle any kind of field we want to throw at it, but some types of data are better handled automatically, like resolution. And I don't want resolution showing up in an audio file's properties, but it would be nice for video, etc.

RemyJ

« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2002, 06:20:31 pm »

In thumbnail display mode, holding the shift key down while selecting items always selects more items than it should.

Example:  Select track 1.   Hold shift key down and select the track at the end of the same row.  Not only are the intervening tracks selected but all the ones on the next row, plus the first one on the following row.

Remy
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

nila

« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2002, 11:38:24 pm »

I love the 'Album' type view when viewing by images, would there be any chance of having this extended so that I could do searches and only have albums returned as search results not just hundreds of songs?

nila

« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2002, 01:32:07 am »

Couple of other points.

I'm updating some tags right now for an album,
I just noticed, unlike the old properties box, there's no display of which songs we're editing any more and no ability therefore to like one by one go through them and choose the properties for each one.

Also, the Genre didn't have a pop down list to choose from, and by accident when playing, I noticed that if I clicked on a playlist or View Scheme or anything then it would suddenly populate a drop down list. Obviously this is a smart feature but I know I personally would rather that it was just automatically generated without me having to start clicking all over the place. Especially for fields like Genre where I'm not too likely to have hundreds of entries that need some way of organising.

Another thing is, there's no: 'Update Songs' or anything button on the properties box any more. So I've just updated a bunch of ratings and there's no way to tell it to apply the changes or to cancel and not apply them. These two buttons would be hugely welcomed :). Right now to apply the changes I change from File Properties to Playlists or something and it updates them but this is more a work around than a true way of doing it.

Also, I open it up for instanced like just now, changed the part of MJ I was looking at, and now am not sure which songs I'm dealing with.

I'd also like to be able to rename any of the columns and set the align for them so I could have left, center or right align for any of them. It's a nice feature I've seen in a few programs.
The reason I want to be able to rename any fields is because for example with: 'Number of Plays' - This is really wide to fit into the column and the actual data it displays is realatively narrow so I'd like to make the row narrow so I can configure my screen better. Unfortunately this means I loose all the row header. I'd like to be able to rename it to: 'Plays' or '#' or even just 'Num Plays'.
The fact even I dont know exactly what I'd want to call it means that it's definitely something I'd like a choice over instead of just you guys giving it a specific name :)

Also, trying to open the options screen kills MJ for me.

It's coming along nicely though. Keep up the great work.

nila

« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2002, 01:36:58 am »

aaahhh!!
Just realised, as I'm clicking the different playlists with the properties window open, it's actually not just showing me a list of genres or albums in that playlist to let me choose one with the songs I selected to edit, it's actually selecting all the songs as the info about to be edited.

I almost just set my whole database (7000 songs) to all be genre:AlternRock, Rating:4

This is scary that it's so easy to do something that would have been so devistating to my music.

PLEASE FIX THIS ASAP!
Ah, I think I'd have had a heart attack if I'd done it.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2002, 05:10:55 am »

Ah, I think I'd have had a heart attack if I'd done it.

Remember, MJ 9 adds undo and redo.  So although it's easy to goof up, it's even easier to un-goof-up. (Ctrl|PLS|Z, Ctrl|PLS|Y)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2002, 05:37:55 am »

How long does the undo and redo maintain itself, though?

I mean, if I accidentally set all of my files to all be in the same album, and then exited MJ before I noticed, would the undo work when I fired MJ up the next time?

I have to say I'm really not liking this new way of editting file properties. Is there a specific reason that it was changed? It just seems to me that with this added in confusion about what files you're exactly editting, along with my post about how it's now really difficult to assign track numbers by list order, that it's just a big step backwards in ease of use.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up