INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using MC9 with a 128Mb USP MP3 Player  (Read 1175 times)

V-Man

Using MC9 with a 128Mb USP MP3 Player
« on: October 17, 2003, 04:16:02 am »

Hi

Can anyone give me any tips on how to use MC9 together with my new MP3 player? It is an "unbranded" 128 Mb USB flash device with normal drive-letter access (looks exactly like a MuVo actually, but it's got a Chinese name - bought it off eBay).

Main questions are:

Can I automate the process of copying the tracks of a playlist to the root directory of the device, at the same time naming them based on their playlist position? The USB player can only play files in the root dir in alphabetical order.

Also, can I get a warning if there is not enough space for all the files before I copy, so I can choose which ones to omit (otherwise it will just lose the last few tracks rather than my least favourite ones)?

Finally, can I also have MC9 re-convert files to a lower bitrate so I can fit more songs on the USB player? I know there will be a big drop in quality but it may be adequate for mobile use.

Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:Using MC9 with a 128Mb USP MP3 Player
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2003, 07:59:17 am »

This reply is just mainly to bump your question so Steve sees it, but yes on conversion.  

The drive should show up under the CD and Handhelds section.

The root can be set in the very recent 9.1 builds.  The one on the downloads page should work.

Did you check MC Help?

SteveG

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2003, 09:34:26 am »

V-Man,

You have many options available to you.  

Can I automate the process of copying the tracks of a playlist to the root directory of the device, at the same time naming them based on their playlist position? The USB player can only play files in the root dir in alphabetical order.

If your player handles nested folders, try right clicking on the player's drive letter and choose synchronize (you can also click on the little Portable icon in the task bar). When you are in the synchronization dialogue, you can select Playlists and they will be created on your player under a subfolder called Playlists. If your files must be at root level, either right-click on files and 'Send-to' your drive or drag and drop files either on the action window or on the player drive letter.

In regards to the alphabetical playback, one option will be after your files are named based on playlist position, right click on the drive letter and select the option Select Name/Filename field and select 'FileName'. With this option selected, files will appear on your player named by the filename on MC which will handle the alphabetical playback requirement of your player. If your player supports nested folders then you should be ok.

When you are ready to transfer files if you click on the root level, you will see information about available space and if you click on 'Options' you will see the ability to do on the fly conversion of files. If you use synchronization, you will also see available space information and 'Options' for conversion. As you change conversion options, the available space will estimate the available space and display this to you.

Steve

V-Man

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2003, 07:45:15 am »

Thanks. I get how it works now. I had to drag the files to the AW to get them in the root dir.

It would still be nice to have an option added to the transfer options dialog to specify how the files should be named. Currently it uses the same filename as the source.

Also, slight cosmetic 'bug' but the MC window doesn't refresh very well if you drag another window over it whilst uploading to handheld.

SteveG

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2003, 08:15:51 am »

V-Man,

It would still be nice to have an option added to the transfer options dialog to specify how the files should be named. Currently it uses the same filename as the source.

This is already available. Right click on the Portable Drive letter and use the 'Select Filename/Name' option to toggle between how you want files to be named on your portable.

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up