INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: POST IPOD SUPPORT QUESTIONS HERE  (Read 50630 times)

vph

• Recent member
  • Say no more! Say no more!
Re:POST IPOD SUPPORT QUESTIONS HERE
« Reply #100 on: October 28, 2003, 02:19:27 am »

Steve -

I gave your m4p/iTunes instructions a go.  Here was my process and my findings, or lack thereof:

1 - Installed 2.1 on iPod.  Note:  Not that it should matter, but I didn't have MC open at the time.  It was crashing due to the previously discussed issue of a Media Core dump when attempting to access the iPod in MC.  Generally, I see this issue when I have MC open and iTunes has auto-launched after I dock the iPod (sometimes after reformatting I forget to turn off the auto-launch function - is Apple becoming more and more like MSFT?  Yikes.).  These three are an unhappy triumvirate.

2 - Opened iTunes.  Told it to stop launching when I dock the iPod (thanks Crow, MartinH, cct1...).

3 - Purchased 'I Am A Rock' - you weren't specific about which album so I chose the Greatest Hits version.  Of course, I already own this disc but I decided to forgo our food stamps for the week in the name of science.  Guess I'll be sending the kids panhandling again...

4 - Opened MC.   Initialized the iPod from MC.

5 - Imported the file in MC (file->library->import media).

6 - Gave the track a test run in MC with no problems...  except for the fact that I had the volume maxed and woke the dead, my family, and every sleeping child in California.

7 - Drag and dropped the file to the iPod (normally I just use the auto smartlist "all music" but wanted to mimic your steps).

8 - Undocked the iPod.  Selected the track.  Pushed play.  Watched the standard pause for effect...  then it shot back to the main menu without playing a note.  Tried playing the track again on the iPod with the same unfortunate results.

9 - Pouted momentarily, set the iPod aside, and wrote down my findings in this post.  Maybe your iPod just likes you more than mine likes me.

- Platform:  XP.
- iPod:  30G.
- MC: 9.1.289.
- Kid's college fund:  $.99 deficit.

Thanks for keeping on this.  I know you'll make it happen.  

VPH

francelonian

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #101 on: October 28, 2003, 05:46:38 am »

Francelonian and Jeff,

I cannot duplicate either of these reports. Can either of you send me a file you know causes the crash for me to test? (steve @ jriver.com)

It has taken me a while to get the problem to repeat, but it just did.  After the last crash, I re-initialized the iPod with the Apple Updater, and then synced from scratch in MC, with force file conversion set to mp3 @ 128.  All of my music is in mp3 format, but are at various bit rates, and many are encoded in vbr.  The sync takes a long time though (because of the decoding and reencoding), so from time to time I have had to cancel it so I can use the computer.  This has happened 3 or 4 times.  Each time I have restarted the sync the sync has skipped over previously synced songs and resumed where it left off.

But this last time it did not - the sync process suddenly stopped, just after finishing the 'skip' and getting to the first unconverted file in the playlist, and MC crashed right after that.  The song it crashed on is an mp3 encoded in vbr.

Also, just as before, when I dock the iPod now MC will recognize it for a moment, but then the iPod disappears from the handheld list. The iPod Manager recognizes it as still docked, but the iPod itself says it is unconnected.  Weird.  I will not be able to get MC to recognize the iPod unless I reinitialize with the Updater.

iPod 3G, latest firmware, XP service pack 1, MC build 289.

TimB

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #102 on: October 28, 2003, 06:28:32 am »

In Windows go to control panel > administrative tools > services and disable the Ipod service in there.

I've got two of 'em!

Is it:

iPod Service
iPodSrv

... or both?

Thanks! :)

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #103 on: October 28, 2003, 06:35:13 am »

I updated my server machine to 290 (from 289) to try and solve a problem where the images wouldn't display on the client "playing now -- track info" window when using media server (the image WOULD display in the Action Window and in 3D visualizations, however.)

Now I get a media server crash every time I try to access the server from the client.  It works for few moments -- it loads the library and I can start to play a song but then it stops responding.  When I check the server, I see a message that "media server has generated errors and will be shut down."

In other words, media server seems to be broken for me at the moment -- I cannot get the client to work properly because of media server crashes on the server.  I tried going back to 289, but it still does the same thing.  This seemed to be working fine earlier today -- I don't know what happened.

Thanks for any help with this,

Larry

cct1

• World Citizen
  • I like shiny things
« Reply #104 on: October 28, 2003, 11:50:48 am »

There are some reports over at the lounge that 290 has fixed the AAC issue--any one here had a chance to try it? I haven't as of yet...

If the AAC is fixed, that will be a great step.  But IMHO there is one thing that MC9 is gonna have to figure out how to do--and that's making dynamic playlists.  They are truly incredible, I've been playing around with them on Itunes/Ipod--they are significant addition to what the ipod can do.   A number of people that use MC9 have noticed this and are using Itunes because of it  (there have been posts asking if there is a way to use the Itunes dynamic playlists and MC9 at the same time, etc.).

MC9 kills Itunes for file management and complexity of smartlists--Itunes is very basic with regard to these.  But Itunes has a few advantages over MC9--tunes are automatically added to the Itunes libray--no need to import, synchs automatically and quicker, nicer radio, and the dynamic playlists.  Out of all these, the synching is not a huge issue, if can't be improved upon from a speed standpoing--MC9 handles it just fine, although slower.  The radio isn't a huge issue either  (and probably something that can be improved on down the road, but it's a low priority for the ipod crowd).  The dynamic playlists are going to be a sticking point though from the looks of the boards.

You guys have done a ton for ipod support, and I hate to belabor the point and sound ungrateful, but I think to keep the windows crowd, the dynamic playlists are going to be huge.  The AAC support IMHO was critical, and you guys did a great job getting that out.  

I don't want to sound too critical of MC9--I think it's missing one thing, with regard to the ipod but it's a big thing.  The flip side is many people have been dissapointed with Itunes--it's not very robust as compared to MC9.  Sneak dynamic playlist support in there, and you guys have a homerun.  Just my 2 cents..Well, maybe it's only worth 1 cent, but I'm charging two anyway...

CautionESPN

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #105 on: October 28, 2003, 12:04:22 pm »

I'm confused here, what do you mean by dynamic playlists?  What can you do with the iTunes playlists that you cannot do with the MC playlists?  I've found the iTunes lists to be a LOT less functional.  The only thing i like about them is the ease with which they are created.  What am i missing?

Macavity

• Recent member
« Reply #106 on: October 28, 2003, 12:18:12 pm »

I believe he is talking about the dynamic playlists ON the iPod. These playlists will automatically update on your iPod without needing to sync with your computer.

For example: A list of your favorites that haven't been listened to in the last week. Once you listen to one, it drops out of the playlist, and another one takes its place. All without connecting to your pc.

Pretty cool.

SteveG

« Reply #107 on: October 28, 2003, 12:41:59 pm »

Crow,

I purchased two of the tracks you mentioned and followed your test and the files played with no problem. Can you verify that the file duration is correct in MC before you transfer the tracks to iPod?

PS sorry about the death in your family.

willrmc,

In order to implement this solution I must modify the plugin to handle keeping track of when the sync occurs so I can guess when the rating in MC should apply. I will do this eventually but what to hammer out the AAC playback issues on iPod first.

vph,

Thanks for depleting your college fund by .99  :) . Can you verify for me what the Duration is of 'I am a rock' in MC?

francelonian,

It appears you have successfully synced and cancelled 3 or 4 times. We have to figure out what is different about the one time when you crash. Were other vbr files involved in the successful syncs? My guess is yes, and that vbr is irrelevant. If you can isolate the file on which it crashed, try sending just that file or that file with a small number of other files to see if the problem is file specific.  In regards to the appearing and disappearing iPod, this is most likely a hardware issue. Look in Windows Explorer and see if you see the drive appearing and disappearing there as well. If you do, then you know the problem is hardware related.

Tim,

Deselecting the 'Open iTunes when attached' should be enough.

Larry,

Media Server seems to be working fine for me with 9.1.290. If you are still stuck, please post this out to another thread for help.

cct1,

Are you talking about On The Go playlists on iPod or Dynamic Playlists in iTunes? Dynamic Playlists in iTunes are the equivalent of smartlists in MC.

Macavity

• Recent member
« Reply #108 on: October 28, 2003, 12:56:22 pm »

Are you talking about On The Go playlists on iPod or Dynamic Playlists in iTunes? Dynamic Playlists in iTunes are the equivalent of smartlists in MC.

Actually, there are quite a few differences between Dynamic Playlists and Smartlists. I know Adam covered some of the differences over at the Lounge when he posted his MC9/iTunes comparison. From what I can tell, there are pros & cons to each of them. In a perfect world we could combine them for a Dynamic Smartlist.  ;D

Mac

SteveG

« Reply #109 on: October 28, 2003, 01:19:25 pm »

Mac,

To clarify, the smart playlists in iTunes, when transferred to iPod update automatically. We do not do this yet but will try.

Steve

cct1

• World Citizen
  • I like shiny things
« Reply #110 on: October 28, 2003, 01:52:12 pm »

Mac,

To clarify, the smart playlists in iTunes, when transferred to iPod update automatically. We do not do this yet but will try.

Steve

THAT's what I'm talking about--sorry for any confusion--it's a big time feature.  MC9 has Itunes smartlists clobbered in what you can do from a functional standpoint--it's not even close.  But the dynamic smartlist that updates on the ipod without synching, is a huge feature--very popular.  From a functional standpoint, I think it's second only to AAC support in importance with regard to what MC9 needs to have to successfully compete with Itunes.  Again, because MC9 offers much more sophisticated smartlists, you add a dynamic capacity to them, you've got a killer application, one that will be untouchable.  Itunes may be able to improve their smartlists to a degree, but if you've got all the goodies in MC9, you're still going to have file management capabilities and many, many other extras that Itunes will never be able to provide.

CautionESPN

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #111 on: October 28, 2003, 02:15:43 pm »

Ok, include me as one who is DYING to get the iTunes dynamic playlist functionality! Holy crap do i want that!  Super and i mean SUPER cool.  I would use this all the time and it would mean i didnt have to resynch every morning

Iplod along

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #112 on: October 28, 2003, 02:52:55 pm »

FILENAME PROPERTIES HAVE CHANGED

I have just had too reset my iPod and during the sync process some files did not transfer across. I noticed that this was due to some files having a vertical line in the file name and not the customary \. I have no idea haw this may have happened as things were OK previously on the files in question.

I have tried to edit the file name on a track by track basis although a message appears says this has created a lost folder (whatever that means). Is there any way I can do a batch change. I have looked at the user guide but its is not helpful because if I highlight a number of files in the properties section for file name it appears <varies>.

Thanking anyone for their help in advance.

PS if i obtain the free download of iTunes and proceed with set up, do I mess up MC?

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #113 on: October 28, 2003, 03:18:53 pm »

Steve:

CCT1 is talking about Dynamic Playlists.  And they are very different in iTunes (and hence on the iPod) than in MC9.

For example:  in MC9, when you click on a smartlist, everytime you click on it, it changes.  So, if I create a smartlist of 5 random tunes, each time I click on that smartlist its contents are updated.  Not so in iTunes.  In iTunes if I created the same playlist it would never change.  Ever.  I would grab five random songs from the library and stay that way.

The only way to get the smartlist to change would be to add a qualifier to it that could update the contents.  For example, a "Last Played > 1 day".  The way iTunes (and iPod smartlists) are updated is that when you play a song, as that song no longer meets the criteria of the smartlist, it will be removed and a new song will be added.

You can do this easily in iTunes and watch the smartlist change.

Now, how does this apply to the iPod?  Easy, smartplaylists that get copied to the iPod through iTunes, don't get copied as a list of tunes (as in MC9); rather, the rules get copied.  Or at least that's how we believe it works.  Because these smartlists don't require a sync to be updated.  If I create the same smartlist: "5 random tunes, last played > 1 day" it will update dynamically on the iPod.  So, you will play a song, then, when you go back to look at the contents of the playlist, the song you listened to will be removed.  All w/o a sync.

This also applies to ratings and playcounts.  If I have a 5 Star Rated playlist and I change a song from a 4 to a 5, it will be added to this smartlist w/o a sync.

So, that's how they're different Steve, and I think it has implications for the sync speeds as well.  Basically, what I think you've been doing is creating "Manual" playlists using MC9's smartlist capabilities.  This requires you to update the "Playlist" column for each song when syncing.  I don't think iTunes has to do that.  It just needs to update the rules for each smartlist.  Then the iPod applies them.

Get it?

Adam

kadish

• Recent member
  • Lovin' MC9...
« Reply #114 on: October 28, 2003, 03:56:50 pm »

Just to add my two cents, the dynamic playlist functionality sounds interesting but I agree with Steve that his focus right now should be solving the problem with playing iTunes .m4p files on the iPod via MC.

Steve, I'll try a test tonight as well and report back with as much info as I can think to provide.

Eugene

SteveG

« Reply #115 on: October 28, 2003, 04:21:47 pm »

Holy crap do i want that!

This made me laugh out loud.  I get what the deal is with these, but must do some work to figure out what is going on.  I will do what I can. I have another project that needs some attention first.

IPlodAlong,

I don't follow. You have files in MC that have '|' in their filename/filepath? Do the files play?

gundan

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #116 on: October 28, 2003, 08:09:40 pm »

I am having a weird issue with smart lists and my ipod. I am on build 289. I subscribe to the audible service and get fresh air. I use the audible manager to download the programs and further use MC9 to upload it to my ipod.

Till build 289, the smart list feature would work great. Every weekend I would delete the last smart list(including the files) and further create a new smart list with the files that I had just downloaded in the week that ended. Further I would synchronize it with my ipod.

I would have a fresh batch of programs every monday. But with build 289, the smart list seems to work fine, but when it syncs up with the ipod, it just seems to append to the playlist in my ipod rather than selectively deleting and inserting programs. This is quite so annoying. I did not notice this in the previous builds. Can somebody tell me whether I am doing something wrong here? If so what should I do, to get it done right?  

francelonian

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #117 on: October 28, 2003, 08:15:17 pm »

francelonian,

It appears you have successfully synced and cancelled 3 or 4 times. We have to figure out what is different about the one time when you crash. Were other vbr files involved in the successful syncs? My guess is yes, and that vbr is irrelevant. If you can isolate the file on which it crashed, try sending just that file or that file with a small number of other files to see if the problem is file specific.  In regards to the appearing and disappearing iPod, this is most likely a hardware issue. Look in Windows Explorer and see if you see the drive appearing and disappearing there as well. If you do, then you know the problem is hardware related.

OK, will do - thanks for this.

tlongacre

• Galactic Citizen
  • gettin' in touch with my inner child, watch out!
« Reply #118 on: October 28, 2003, 09:37:51 pm »

Hey,

I just wanted to say that I'm having the same problem as vph -- that is, I bought about 4 songs from iTMS and they play fine on my computer, through iTunes or MC9 or whatever. However, when I transfer them to my iPod, they just get skipped, even though they are listed -- it acts like they are 0 seconds long.

When I look at them on the iPod list through MC9 (when the iPod is plugged in), they have a duration of 3:14 and 4:22 which is correct.

This happened after I disentangled iTunes and the iPod and completely reset the iPod and reinitialized it from MC9 and then synched a smartlist.

I have a 2G 10gig iPod using the latest firmware (1.3?) and MC9 .289 -- I downloaded .290 in case it makes a difference, but I'm not hopeful.

vph

• Recent member
  • Say no more! Say no more!
« Reply #119 on: October 28, 2003, 11:16:15 pm »

vph,
Thanks for depleting your college fund by .99  :) . Can you verify for me what the Duration is of 'I am a rock' in MC?

Steve -

Both iTunes and MC say the same:  2:52.  

I also tried messing around with several options to no avail.  

I'm trying to step back and look at the problem from the big (again), I can play the m4p in iTunes (duh).  I can play it in MC.  You have run it from the same desktop platform that I'm on (XP, right?).  I can see the tracks on the iPod, so I know it's there.  The file length is the same on the iPod as it is on my desktop (which, I assume, is what you expect).  I assume the duration on my 'I Am a Rock' college-fund-drain is the same as yours.  

From this, other than there possibly being something different between our transfer mechanisms (hardware, not MC), does this point to a possible difference in either: 1) our iPods (mine: 30Gb); or 2) the actual OS we downloaded (ie., we're both on 2.1, but maybe there are unintended variants).  Or maybe it is possible that in your environment you have some magical/mysterious/mystical soon-to-be-released feature from MC that does affect the file transfer.  Have you tried the soup-to-nuts process on a clean box?  I'll try loading up the iPod on my laptop and see what happens.

Yes, I understand the issue could be further upstream (ie., in our XP settings, in our iTunes settings, in our hardware settings) that simply isn't being caught by the MC playback but is manifesting itself on the iPod.  But I only have 3 or so synapse remaining (the reduction in numbers as I age has been exponential) and can't factor those alternatives in quite yet.

Hope my amateur sleuthing doesn't offend.  I'm just trying to throw a few thoughts out there.  I'll let you know how the laptop testing goes.

VPH

Iplod along

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #120 on: October 29, 2003, 01:14:38 am »

Steve,

The items do no play on the iPod as they do no sync although they do play from the media library.

iPlod along

kiwi

• Don't worry, be happy...
« Reply #121 on: October 29, 2003, 01:27:57 am »

Hi Steve,

A while back you made the following update:
2) Delete files is still a checkbox, but if it is unchecked it will sync files but playlists will not be additive.

Am I correct in understanding that this allows for playlists to be sync'd w/o deleting any non-selected files?  This doesn't delete the existing files that were in the old playlist?  Is that correct?  Not that it's a big issue.

Edit: For now I'll just manually delete the files.

Thanks,
kiwi

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
  • Bike, Mind and Body are part of the same system
« Reply #122 on: October 29, 2003, 01:37:19 am »

Ok.. Some more information..

So, I was driving into work and I went to listen to my audiobook, and it was not there.. So now, allong with my playlists being going I am missing files.

When I got to the office I plugged in and looked at the hard drive. The files WERE there, they were just not showing up in the IPOD. So here are my questions

1) Is this some weird Itunes/MC/ipod issue? I have used Itunes with my ipod once (and it is still installed)
2) Is this a problem with ITunes being installed at all?? I dont like it automaticallly come up when I put the ipod in the cradle.

So, do I need to uninstall Itunes?
Do I just need to never use it again? (which is ok, I dont like it and I love media center)
Do I need to re-initialize the ipod?
Anything else?

Yes, the two don't get along well.  It sounds like a restore with the ipod updater, followed by an initialize for MC9 will fix this.  If you're not going to use Itunes, might as well delete it.  It can peacefully coexist with MC9, but you have to alter it to do so--when you install it, you basically have to turn all the options off, AND  follow the advice Martins post:

To stop iTunes saying hello when you dock your iPod you either need to:

1) Open iTunes with the iPod docked - you'll see an iPod options button on the bottom right hand corner of the screen (there are a few square buttons here).  Choose this and you'll see an option in there to "Start iTunes automatically when iPod connected" or something similar, uncheck it.

2) In Windows go to control panel > administrative tools > services and disable the Ipod service in there.

I have unistalled iTunes as I don't intend to use it and am still having sync problems, all of which are described by others.

I checked Control Panel>AdminTools>Services and iPOD serrvice is still there.

Is it just iTunes related?
Is it OK to delete it? There doesn't seem to be a disable option.

I'd really like to know the answer to this if anyone knows.

Thanks

Ash

kadish

• Recent member
  • Lovin' MC9...
« Reply #123 on: October 29, 2003, 07:02:05 am »

Steve,

Here's what I've found with my iPod/.m4p/MC testing:

1. Did restore with 2.1 Updater to get clean iPod
2. iTunes automatically pops up
3. Turned off auto-synch/start options in iTunes
4. Left the name of iPod as default 'Eugene's iPod'
5. Closed iTunes
6. Brought up MC9.1.290
7. Clicked on H:
8. Message that iPod needs to be initialized
9. Initialized iPod w/MC
10. Ejected iPod
11. Closed MC and opened iTunes
12. Bought new Springsteen exclusive track released yesterday
13. Closed iTunes
14. Opened MC and imported Springsteen .m4p
15. Placed iPod on cradle and dragged new song to H:
16. Clicked on H: and then clicked on Transfer button
17. Song transferred

Afterwhich I ejected iPod again and tried the song.  No luck.  Same thing, it doesn't play anything.  The main thing I notice is there is an extra second on the iPod that is not showing in my MC database.  So for the new Springsteen song:

MC database: 2:03
iPod: 2:04
iPod view from MC (drive H:): 2:04
iTunes: 1:59 (?!)

Hope some/any of this information helps!

Eugene

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #124 on: October 29, 2003, 08:04:41 am »

7. Clicked on H:
Are you using the iPod as it appears under the "CD, DVD, & Handhelds" section of the tree?  Don't use H: under "My Computer".

kadish

• Recent member
  • Lovin' MC9...
« Reply #125 on: October 29, 2003, 09:11:52 am »

Jim,

Yes, I'm using the H: under CD, DVD & Handhelds.

SteveG

« Reply #126 on: October 29, 2003, 09:54:26 am »

Everyone,

In regards to purchased iTunes mp4 file playback on iPod after transferring with MC.....

This morning I started with a clean XP machine. Installed MC 9.1.291 and iTunes 4.1.154. My iPod is a 10 gb with firmware 2.1. I purchased 3 tunes from iTunes Music store. Imported them into MC. Transferred them both using sync and by drag and drop. All files play fine.  For those who trasfers are working, can you chime in with hardware specifications to try to give me a clue.

Gundan,

Please try with 9.1.291. Do you have 'Delete files not in sync' checked? With 291 it should not matter, the result should be only the selected files in the playlist. Are these Smartlists or Playlists?If smartlists, make sure that your rules are not including files that you do not intend.

Iplod along,

To summarize, you have files that fail to sync even though they play in MC? Any error messages? Try drag and dropping one of the failing files to the iPod and see what happens.

Kiwi,

Am I correct in understanding that this allows for playlists to be sync'd w/o deleting any non-selected files?  This doesn't delete the existing files that were in the old playlist?  Is that correct?

Yes. With the delete files unchecked, any files not in the synching playlist will remain on iPod but be removed from the checked playlists.

Ash,

I have tested with the iPod service running and stopped and it made no difference for me.  I do not know what happens if you totally remove it.

crowfan

• Galactic Citizen
  • For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you.
« Reply #127 on: October 29, 2003, 12:28:57 pm »

Steve,

Thanks for the thoughtfulness.

Here are the song times for the songs I mentioned:

“She Don’t Want Nobody Near” Counting Crows:
MC:  3:11
iTunes:  3:08
iPod:  3:12

“Amie” Counting Crows:
MC: 4:32
iTunes:  4:29
iPod:  4:33

“The Boys of Summer” The Ataris:
MC:  4:26
iTunes:  4:18
iPod:  4:27

Here is my system info as well.  Remember, this is a system where the songs are NOT playing on the iPod.

Thanks,

crow

Media Center Registered 9.1.290 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2253 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 230 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1226 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804) / wnaspi32.dll: 2, 0, 0, 0 , ASPI for WIN32 DLL, Copyright © Adaptec 1995 / Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0001)

Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:Normal   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Drive E:   Copy mode:Normal   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive E: LITE-ON  LTR-40125S         Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:40  MaxSpeed:40  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

"It's going to be a trilogy."   Robert Jordan, circa 1989

thtv01

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #128 on: October 29, 2003, 02:11:52 pm »

Steve - It looks like Audible files stoped working with 291.   They worked when I had 288 or 289 installed but now on 291 they don't play at all.  They sync just fine along with all my other files but when you select one of them to play nothing happens.  It just stays on the one I'm trying to select (title screen), never goes to the next screen where it starts playing.

Anyone else notice problem?

I'm going to try going back to 288 tonight and see if they still work there just to rule out any other problems.

Thanks
Tim

kiwi

• Don't worry, be happy...
« Reply #129 on: October 29, 2003, 02:20:55 pm »

Steve - It looks like Audible files stoped working with 291.   They worked when I had 288 or 289 installed but now on 291 they don't play at all.  They sync just fine along with all my other files but when you select one of them to play nothing happens.  It just stays on the one I'm trying to select (title screen), never goes to the next screen where it starts playing.

Anyone else notice problem?

I'm going to try going back to 288 tonight and see if they still work there just to rule out any other problems.

Thanks
Tim
I have had the exact same problem.

Restored my iPod a few times (with apple's restore utility), no luck.

Never tried a blank iPod in iTunes, but it didn't work when I just tried to add AA files to the MC initialized iPod. They'd get to the iPod.  I could play them on the computer from the iPod, but no go on playing on the ipod, it would just sit there.

Then I fired up ephpod and added one song and they all worked.  Weird.

kiwi

SteveG

« Reply #130 on: October 29, 2003, 03:12:42 pm »

kiwi and Tim,

I just retested here with 9.1.291 and had no problems transferring and playing .aa files on a clean XP.  Anyone else having the same problem or not having the problem?

Everyone,

The Adam/Kurt Rating modification is in the next MC build. If 'Sync Portable Data to MC is enabled and the last sync time  is longer ago than the modification date in MC for a file, the MC rating data will not change.

Steve

thtv01

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #131 on: October 29, 2003, 04:00:39 pm »

The only things different that I can think of since the last time my Audible files were working is a couple of things:

1.  Installed iTunes, purchased a few songs, imported to MC9, sync'ed them to the ipod to test them.  Haven't got them to play in MC9.
2.  Installed 291

(Of course I did all of the normal things involved with installing the 291 build.  Wipe clean and reinit....ect)

So maybe it has something to do with me importing the iTunes files into MC and syncing them to the ipod.  I can remove them from the equation tonight and see if that makes a difference.  I have never let the iTunes software touch my ipod so I don't think it's that.

One last note.  My ipod is a 2nd gen with v1.3 and my PC is running XP Pro.

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #132 on: October 29, 2003, 06:29:04 pm »

Just a quick update - I just sync'ed my iPod with build .291, and everything worked perfectly. No missing playlists, no missing songs. Everything seems OK.

Looks like SteveG cracked this!

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #133 on: October 29, 2003, 06:52:52 pm »

Everyone,

The Adam/Kurt Rating modification is in the next MC build. If 'Sync Portable Data to MC is enabled and the last sync time  is longer ago than the modification date in MC for a file, the MC rating data will not change.

Steve

You are a GOD sir!  :D  You have infact outwitted Apple at their own game.  This is BETTER than iTunes implementation.  :D

Thanks for this.

Adam/Kurt.  ;D

willrmc

• Junior Woodchuck
  • this town is a part of us all...
« Reply #134 on: October 29, 2003, 10:02:28 pm »

i tried uploading both unprotected and iTMS aac files to my iPod and these are my results. the unprotected files (ripped in itunes) imported fine to MC (except for the annoying no tag thing) and uploaded and played on the iPod just fine. the itms file imported fine and uploaded fine, but when i tried to play it on the iPod it just quit back to the main screen. i tried playing it several times and this is what i got.
although if you are unable as you said to read the m4p tags, then aac files are pretty much useless to me. i dont want to have to rewrite a bunch of tags every time i reimport them. i guess i'll just chalk this one off and wait for the dynamic ipod lists! (crosses fingers)  ;)
---------

thtv01

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #135 on: October 30, 2003, 12:19:13 am »

I retested the Audible files tonight.  I removed the iTunes files from my ipod and from MC's library.  Then wiped the ipod clean and reinitialized with MC version 291.  The Audible files worked.  So I'm guessing that it did have something to do with the iTunes files being either in MC or on the IPOD.  I guess I could re-import them and do a sync to see if it screws them up again.  I'll let you know what I do.

Also, on the missing tag names from iTunes files.
Does it hurt anything if I add tags to them once they are imported into MC?  Just wanted to make sure that I don't mess these files up and make them not playable.  I guess my knowledge of the built-in security of .m4p files from iTunes is lacking.

Thanks
Tim

SteveG

« Reply #136 on: October 30, 2003, 09:19:45 am »

Tim,

I do not think editing or adding tag changes will hurt anything. I just tried this with a iTMS file and could still play it in MC and iTunes.

I guess my knowledge of the built-in security of .m4p files from iTunes is lacking.

Don't worry, they don't exactly document this stuff  :).

willrmc,

I still am somewhat at a loss on this because it works here on clean XP machines. Hopefully someone will trip on the missing link on why some have problems with this. I will keep looking too.

Steve

Wobbley

• World Citizen
  • What a bum rap for a nice, sensitive guy like me
« Reply #137 on: October 30, 2003, 10:55:46 am »

Check it out iPodders:

ExtremeTech has revealed that XtremeMac will be releasing a BlueTooth adapter which will allow the iPod to "stream music from the player – or any music source – to portable speakers, headphones, a home stereo, or even a car" early next year.

"The technology and the circuit boards are provided by a company called Infinite Range. They've spent the past few years taking Bluetooth wireless and applying it to music. The company has developed RangeScan, Bluetooth audio technology that will let any hardware developer send audio from one device to another wirelessly. And as I learned in that parking lot, it really works."

Wobbley

kadish

• Recent member
  • Lovin' MC9...
« Reply #138 on: October 30, 2003, 01:56:03 pm »

Re: iTunes songs problem on iPods

Is it not unusual that the song durations are all different between iPod, MC9 and iTunes?  Just wondering if that could be a clue of some sort....

Eugene

SteveG

« Reply #139 on: October 30, 2003, 02:13:47 pm »

Eugene,

Good guess. The durations are different because I cannot read the tag info but rather must guess by using the bitrate and file size. This does not account for the extra size of tags which results in a slight variation in duration. I know that if the duration is set to 0, the file skips. This was a problem when the duration was reported incorrectly. If the duration were the problem, I would expect to be unable to play the files as well. In addition, I would expect the file to play at least for the incorrect amount of duration listed.

Steve

dallardice

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #140 on: October 30, 2003, 02:35:05 pm »

Last played -19076214.8 minutes ago
How do I get rid of these?

Tried resetting to Never played and then re-synchronising, but back in the iPod it is still showing these on some 2000 tracks - the rest are accurate.  I've checked the time on my Ipod since I know that was an issue, but it's correct now.

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
« Reply #141 on: October 30, 2003, 02:47:16 pm »

kiwi and Tim,

I just retested here with 9.1.291 and had no problems transferring and playing .aa files on a clean XP.  Anyone else having the same problem or not having the problem?

Everyone,

Steve

Oh wow, sweet!  Way to nail that one down, friend!  :D

-Kurt/Adam
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #142 on: October 30, 2003, 02:49:59 pm »

dallardice:

You'll need to first get the correct values into the iPod.  To do this:

1. First in MC9, clear the songs that have bad values.
2. Next, sync to the iPod w/Sync iPod into to MC" unchecked.  This will overwrite the values on the iPod with data from MC9.  In essense reset everything
3. Next time you sync, recheck the "Sync iPod Info w/MC9

Steve:  brings up a point--if the iPod value is "invalid" maybe it should leave the MC9 value as is (if it's valid) or change it to "Never Played" if the MC9 value is invalid.

Just a thought....

Adam

packyb

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #143 on: October 30, 2003, 03:21:24 pm »

I know that this topic has been covered ad nauseum, but I just did a search and didn't find the answer that I am looking for.

When sending mp3's to my iPod, I encode them at 192kbps. I have heard that mp3 Encoder VBR might be better, but there is no choice for kbps, rather there are "Normal, Normal/High and High" quality choices. How do these settings correlate to an mp3 encoded at 192 kbps?

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #144 on: October 30, 2003, 03:25:28 pm »

A lot of people prefer VBR encoding, but I just wanted to put in my 2 cents which is that VBR has the "potential" to be more problematic on the iPod.  I've noticed that you're more likely to lose a little bit off the end of songs with VBR's, which comes into play when you have songs with no gaps (i.e. ablums where one song leads directly into the next.)  I stopped using VBR a while back because of this.

VBR also seems to add to the encode time.

Larry

dallardice

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #145 on: October 30, 2003, 03:27:12 pm »

1. First in MC9, clear the songs that have bad values.
2. Next, sync to the iPod w/Sync iPod into to MC" unchecked.  This will overwrite the values on the iPod with data from MC9.  In essense reset everything

This doesn't work - after step 2 I still have the negative values in the Ipod.  I'm on build 286  -I guess I should update and try again.

Iplod along

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #146 on: October 30, 2003, 04:22:43 pm »

I've noticed that you're more likely to lose a little bit off the end of songs with VBR's

Larry,

I've noticed this on a number of tracks yet playing from the PC it plays in full. What have you changed to? Did you have to re-rip the 'shorten' tracks to overcome the problem before you changed the encoding

By changing the type of encoding did it affect your library or just the recordings after the change?

iPlodalong (in a technical dreamland)

SteveG

« Reply #147 on: October 30, 2003, 04:44:16 pm »

Dallardice,

Please try updating and then follow Adam's advice.

Adam,

Good point. I will add something to check this.

Packyb,

It depends on the content of the file.  

Larry, iPlod (and others with VBR files),

Are you consistently seeing track cutoffs? If so how much? I think I can fix this if you are seeing it.

dallardice

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #148 on: October 30, 2003, 05:04:32 pm »

Please try updating and then follow Adam's advice.

No joy on version 291 either.

TimB

« Reply #149 on: October 30, 2003, 05:19:50 pm »

Steve:  brings up a point--if the iPod value is "invalid" maybe it should leave the MC9 value as is (if it's valid) or change it to "Never Played" if the MC9 value is invalid.

Adam

As a former sufferer from this problem I'd vote a big YES on this.  However I'd also like to see an iPod vs computer clock check when MC detects that an iPod is connected with a prompt if the difference is greater than x.

:)

Thanks!

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up