INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which ID3 2.X version.. 2.3?  (Read 1356 times)

drierp

• Recent member
Which ID3 2.X version.. 2.3?
« on: October 28, 2003, 10:55:55 pm »

Can anyone tell me which version Media Center 9 supports?  ITunes was nice enough to allow me to convert between any versions I want, while I can't find any documentation to the version(s) that MC9 allows..  

It does appear it doesn't like 2.4 one bit, which I find a bit surprising, given is was spec'd out in dec 2000..  I wish I knew that before MC9 trounced a few hundred tags..  Isn't it part of the ID3 spec that if an application doesn't recognise a future version, it should leave said tags alone?  

Also..  if I were a wishing man, I'd wish for a column telling me the version..  (or maybe even 2 cols, one for 1.x, and one for 2.x version)... this would also extend to us all the other wonderful features (smartlists, ...) MC9 is already good at.

Thanks,
Peter

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re:Which ID3 2.X version.. 2.3?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2003, 05:25:22 am »

most mp3 programs do not support id3 version 2.4

i think MC9 reads it but does not write it.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

drierp

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2003, 07:39:46 pm »

I tried it again, and it appears to show 2.4 tags as a 0 length 2.x tag, with no values.  If it's edited, they all go to blank.  Not good.

NoCodeUK

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2003, 04:44:42 am »

You can find out what id3 versions are being used by going to the plugins page and selecting the properties of the mp3 input plugin.

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

rocketsauce

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2003, 05:36:41 am »

The mp3 input plug-in properties doesn't show whether the tags are ID3 v2.3 or v2.4.

As King Sparta said, though, it's been my understanding that, for whatever reasons, there are very few programs that actually support v2.4 tags. I'm not really even sure what the difference is between v2.3 and v2.4.

Rob

MachineHead

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2003, 06:21:07 am »

And yet another reason for mp3's to support apev2 tags. Wish MC could do this now. Or at least give us the option of writing apev2 tags if we wanted them.

Pages: [1]   Go Up