INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 CDRW's in 1 PC  (Read 1510 times)

chilidip

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
2 CDRW's in 1 PC
« on: October 31, 2003, 10:32:47 am »

I have been trying unsuccessfully to get two crdw drives to work completely in on PC. One drive is actually a DVD-RW/CDRW and the other is a DVDROM/CDRW drive. Both made by Sony.

In short, with both drives enabled in device manager, neither will read an audio cd. Disable one and the remaining can read it fine. Both drives read data discs and DVD's without conflict, only audio cd's present a problem.

These drives have moved on the IDE bus to every location except Primary Master with the same results. It doesn't matter if they are on different buses or how configured (master/slave).

Sony support reports this is common, but can't offer suggestions other than make one a primary-slave and the other secondary-master.

I didn't know where else to post and thought someone here might have come accross this problem as well.

Thanks in advance....Randy

chilidip

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re:2 CDRW's in 1 PC
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2003, 10:33:40 am »

My info:

Media Center Registered 9.1.291 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 1399 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1048 MB, Free - 503 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1226 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804) / wnaspi32.dll: 4.60 (1021) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-1999 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.60 (1021)

Ripping /   Drive G:   Copy mode:Normal   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Drive I:   Copy mode:Normal   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive G: SONY     CD-RW  CRX300E     Addr: 0:1:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  BurnProof:Yes
  Drive I: SONY     DVD RW DRU-500A    Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:24  MaxSpeed:24  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2003, 12:25:49 pm »

Sounds like an XP bug. I have the external version of the Sony DVD drive (DRX-500ULX).

Try this...
1) Shut her down
2) Set your preferred CD drive as master on the channel your HD is NOT on.
3) Disconnect power and comm ribbon to slaved CD drive.
4) Boot (XP should remove all references to that drive)
5) Shut down
6) Set the other one as a slave on the channel the HD IS on.
7) Boot

It may work...and it may not.

10-27

PS: It may have something to do with the IDE's PIO/DMA setting. Check it out here...
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=16329;start=msg111224#msg111224

chilidip

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2003, 12:51:01 am »

Thanks for the response. I tried your suggestion and wasn't able to get it to work.

I'd be most interested to know if anyone has ever gotten 2 cdrw's to work on the same machine and if the h/w made any difference.

Maybe booting off S-ATA discs and having the cdrw's as dual masters would do it.

Randy

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2003, 07:39:22 am »

It will work.  I've done it but I'm not sure what the problem is.

I have seen problems that were solved by moving an IDE CD drive to another IDE channel.

Be sure you have master and slave set correctly on the drives and that you have them connected to the right connector on the cable.

Also check Xen's suggestion on PIO/DMA.

Robert Taylor

• Living in a Smokeless Zone...
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2003, 03:09:18 pm »

I currently have an LG CDRW as Secondary Master, and a PIONEER A-106 DVD+-RW as Secondary Slave. I have no problems accessing either of 'em.

It might be worth trying to make sure that they are cabled as if for Cable Select mode. ie. Master is the drive at the end of the IDE cable, Slave is connected to the middle connector.

It might also be worth trying a nice new 80-pin cable. I have had many problems which ended up being caused by dodgy cables.

Hope this helps...
Cheers
Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up