INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EAC vs MC rip secure to lossless  (Read 1757 times)

zevele10

EAC vs MC rip secure to lossless
« on: December 11, 2003, 11:56:39 am »

OK , i have time to waste.. but i did a test:
The same 30 cds to rip secure and convert to APE.

It takes the SAME time with both programs.
I have a new cd with problems.
MC did better in the sens that it riped faster than EAC with the same final result.

Beside it i listened a million times to the 2 songs with errors.
Computer , stereo ,headphones and did not heard the errors.

Listening to: 'Don't Lead Me On' from 'It's Smoke Time' by 'The Smoke' on Media Center 9.1

Charlemagne 8

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:EAC vs MC rip secure to lossless
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2003, 05:47:41 pm »

On ONE song on ONE CD, EAC was ripping very slowly ... it was working but error checking or whatever that red box is was running repeatedly with maybe 0.1% of the song being processed each time. That was not acceptable so I switched over to Media Center.  Ripped securely to wav very quickly with no problems. The conversion to APE went very quickly. I still use EAC to rip to wav 'cause I tag one way in EAC and another in MC and I don't want to change. I know the sample is limited but it seems that MC is more consistently stable.
CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

zevele10

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2003, 06:54:04 pm »

As 'mister average' user who just want to rip/convert to lossless format,it is 100% MC.
Because the rip secure is slower than the convertion , both need the same time to do all the process.
And with MC in a beautiful brown , i  feel very cosy when using it...

What is the use to tag WAV ?

Why you do not go to APE from the start ?
Converting or not to another format latter.

To make you feel OLD my dear Charlemagne8 ; the song with problem was Lament--from Island Of Real-- by The Rascals.

This one and Peacefull World are on cd since not long on Sundazed.

My LPs are not in mint condition ,si i bought them

Mirko

• Galactic Citizen
  • Coffee ready?
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2003, 12:28:09 am »

On ONE song on ONE CD, EAC was ripping very slowly ... it was working but error checking or whatever that red box is was running repeatedly with maybe 0.1% of the song being processed each time.

I have watched similar things here - one solution is changing the reading mode of EAC to a less secure one (which is _very_ secure in comparison to other rippers - not including MC, I know it can rip very secure).
Another solution is changing the CD-drive (I have two build into my computer so this is easy) - my dvd-drive (LG) seems to be less tolerant than the cd-burner (TEAC).
Maybe it is helpfull to know that some drives report "c2"-ability but they don't have it, too.

To "rip to APE first" - yes, encoding is really fast using APE and there is nearly no difference between wave- and ape-ripping. _But_ the decoding of APEs to convert them to mp3 (my hd-space is limited) is very slow - in the end the difference is so much that this is not very practical.

Mirko

zevele10

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2003, 07:19:44 am »

The same here.
I was really surprised when EAC told me that the LG-dvd was better to use than my Plextor cdw to get better rip.

Rip to APE first.
I do APE cause ,latter i change format.
But i like to have a new cd in lossless to listen to it the first times.

I never bothered about convertion speed cause i do it in the back.

I do not use MC to do it because i cannot set the priority of MC.
And MC use allways a lot of CPU power.
I use DBpower set to low priority and do not even feel it is working when doing other tasks.
And it has a lot of options like one ,or more, tags elements , remove or ad silence ect

To be able to set MC priority looks to me as a 'must have' in MC10

LisaRCT

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2003, 09:44:15 am »

I do not use MC to do it because i cannot set the priority of MC.
And MC use allways a lot of CPU power.
I use DBpower set to low priority and do not even feel it is working when doing other tasks.
And it has a lot of options like one ,or more, tags elements , remove or ad silence ect

To be able to set MC priority looks to me as a 'must have' in MC10

Same here Zevelle . . . .  and I have requested adjustable priority in the past, just like dbPower has.  Hopefully it will make it into MC10.

zevele10

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2003, 02:59:02 pm »

Mirko

Funny {?] thing..

For once i used my Plextor cd-w drive to rip.
With one cd ,after around 30 minutes ,i got 8 songs with bad resuts.
30% good down to 4% for some songs.
I riped the same cd again with my cd-dvd LG drive.
At full speed with a 100% good results.
I played the APE files and they are ok.

This LG drive was at very cheap price because it had -- as i said ..HAD- region code , but look like that it was a great buy
Pages: [1]   Go Up