INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Batch encoding/after the rip  (Read 1796 times)

Sweet Spot

• Recent member
Batch encoding/after the rip
« on: December 13, 2003, 11:08:06 am »

Can someone please tell me if there's a way to rip all of your tracks FIRST, and THEN encode them ? I really don't like the rip/encode rip/encode method. Plus I like to have total control over what I'm doing.

S.S.
Are you gonna bark all day little doggie....Or are you gonna bite ?

MachineHead

Re:Batch encoding/after the rip
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2003, 11:18:07 am »

You could rip to wav (or lossless to save space) then mass convert to the format of your choice. Lossless would preserve tags as well. Wav files are touchy when you try to apply any type of tag info.

zevele10

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2003, 11:50:10 am »

It is what i do.
I convert to APE first.
In secure it takes the same time than to wav.
I do not rip to wav ,cause it is big and , as MachineHead says very touchy concerning tags.

After that i do multiple convertions
MPC for me
 Some MP3 for some friends
Some OGG for others

Ripping, right now, Michael Mantler 'Movies-More Movies' to APE fast using MC9

Sweet Spot

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2003, 01:30:08 pm »

Ok..cool, then I'm just not used to the interface. I didn't realize that I had to choose wav from the drop down list. Alright, so I'm going to rip to .ape...I take it that extra high is the most secure yeah ?  And .ape will preserve all my tagging options perfectly then ?

Thanks.

S.S.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2003, 01:41:00 pm »

Just use the default APE encoding.  Other options are for higher compression, but you save just 1 to 3% in file size and it takes longer.

zevele10

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2003, 02:50:32 pm »

There is 2 things.
The 'security' of the rip- the most important part of the process-
To this ,set in advanced [ ou option] to secure.
Keep in mind that the speed of your drive will be -or+ 50% less than in non secure

After that ,you have the APE convertion setting. Extra hight is related to the % of compression.
But , as says JimH , you save very few in space and spend very much more time.
Not worth.

Sweet Spot

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2003, 11:41:30 am »

Two issues here:

One, Machinehead, you said that by encoding to lossless, the file tags are preserved ,(better) but I noticed that after the rips were done, and the batch conversions had begun, the lossless are first decoded back to .wav and THEN encoded to (whatever).   So are the tags still preserved even though this happens ?

And two, this really is getting on my nerves...Happened last night, but was tired and didn't see why it did, but after uninstalling and reinstalling MC, it has now happened once again.  For the encoding process, I set the original  files to be deleted after having been encoded, and what wound up happening is that I lost an entire drive letter in the media library ! (G:)

Please tell me that there's a way to restore this so that I don't have to uninstall/reinstall. I've already tried updating the library/and did an import but to no avail.

MachineHead

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2003, 11:45:30 am »

Two issues here:

One, Machinehead, you said that by encoding to lossless, the file tags are preserved ,(better) but I noticed that after the rips were done, and the batch conversions had begun, the lossless are first decoded back to .wav and THEN encoded to (whatever).   So are the tags still preserved even though this happens ?

Yes. Not always the case when you save a bunch of wav files.

And two, this really is getting on my nerves...Happened last night, but was tired and didn't see why it did, but after uninstalling and reinstalling MC, it has now happened once again.  For the encoding process, I set the original  files to be deleted after having been encoded, and what wound up happening is that I lost an entire drive letter in the media library ! (G:)

Please tell me that there's a way to restore this so that I don't have to uninstall/reinstall. I've already tried updating the library/and did an import but to no avail.

OUCH!! This may be a bug.

Sweet Spot

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2003, 11:55:51 am »

Wow. Thanks for the quick reply..I actually was just going to edit my post and say to scratch my second gripe/problem...but thinking about it more, it must be a bug because:

Let's say you decide to store the temp files in the same directory as where they'll ultimately be stored, (say D:) and this drive has multiple other folders in it with all your other music....Well, if you were to set the option to delete the temp files, I believe the result would be the same, and delete the entire directory. It's a good thing that I have multiple partitions. I use  G: for lossless and usually encoded lossless until I move them to a desired directory, but again, if I set it to delete temp files, all of my freshly encoded ones will be lost too ! So again, thank goodness I also changed the target directory !  

If there's a flaw in anything I'm saying please correct me. Perhaps I missed an essential step, in order to avoid this from happening.

S.S.

zevele10

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2003, 12:09:55 pm »

This problem ,i do not know about.
I allways let MC put the temp files where he wants.
Like in the default settings.
Anyway , why who would you want to change this setting  as the temp files are deleted 'on the fly'?

Do you convert- as i do- in more than one format latter?

Sweet Spot

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2003, 12:26:26 pm »

Not sure what you mean about formatting in more than one drive (letter I"m guessing that was supposed to be ?)

I changed the default because I have my file tree in Explorer set up in a very particular way. I like to have total control and see everything that  is going on. Besides, why would the option be there if the files are deleted on the fly anyhow ? Does this change when you DO change the temp directory ?

Part of the problem here is that I'm not just deleting the temp files, I'm actually deleting the originals too. Perhaps this is the real issue..and not the temp. I'm deleting the .ape files because I'm not really in the mood to archive my files on disc at this point (or I mostly have them all archived anyway) and there's obviously no point in keeping the .apes on my HD.

As discussed before, I'm now encoding to .ape first because of the sensetivity seen in file tagging when encoding to .wav, otherwise, I'd encode directly to Ogg from the initial .wav rip.

zevele10

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2003, 12:51:43 pm »

LATER not letter -sorry-

Means you rip to APE because ,after that ,you convert the APE to different formats - MP3 and OGG  or AAC-
I do not understand your fixation concerning wav.
People rip to APE in 3 occasions:
- they just keep this format on they computer
-they want to convert in more than one format later
-because convert to APE is fast ,they do it and convert , later,to the one format they like.

In your case ,look like it is the last raison.

So way don't you just rip to APE with the cd infos you got and make all the tags on the final format -OGG-

I do not say you are wrong , just i do not understand the "why" of your process.

Sweet Spot

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2003, 02:50:55 pm »

LOL...Ok, bare with me here. Let me try first to stop laughing @ the "fixation" comment. I don't know why that makes me laugh so much ? ;D

First let me say that no, I do not encode to .ape so that I can encode to various file types later. I like to stick to one file type if possible. If I want to post lossless files to usenet, I can always rip again..not a biggie.

2)I don't really have enough space to keep lossless on my HD's (believe it or not, Im still only dealing with under 60 gigs)

3)The third option you listed still doesn't really explain why I'm doing it so to explain :

Ok, here's the deal. As I said before, (and understanding this part is instrumental to getting what I'm saying) I noticed that during the .Ape to (in my case) Ogg conversion, the .ape files are FIRST DECODED back to .wav becore it actually encodes it to whatever format you want (again, in my case Ogg.) Now, the decoding process takes only about 4-5 seconds (or less) but still, this is an extra step. I'm curious to know why MC can't just encode straight from .ape to peoples format of choice ? Perhaps there aren't any native encoders which do this period...I don't know.

SO...really, the only reason I'm doing it (encoding to .ape rather than just straight to .wav.....and here comes the fixation part) is because I was told that if I encoded straight to wav rather than .ape, my tagging scheme might get messed up, but that if I encoded to .ape, all tags would be just fine. Thats' why I asked whether or not the tags would remain even through the decoding process.

Sure, encoding to .ape is faster than encoding to .wav, but my point is that it still gets decoded back to wav before the batch encodings...so why bother with the extra step ? I know I definitely wouldn't bother with that step IF what I said above about the tagging wasn't true. And if someone tells me that it isn't and can back it up....I'd totally skip the whole .ape conversion.

Please tell me you understand now.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up