INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: adjust the buffer in MJ8?  (Read 1131 times)

xja

• I'm a llama!
adjust the buffer in MJ8?
« on: December 16, 2003, 06:21:29 pm »

I am trying to play WAV files off of a server over a 802.11b wireless network.  I realize playing uncompressed WAV files over WiFi is pushing the bandwidth limit.  I am able to do this without any stuttering using Windows Media Player.  However, with MJ8, I get stuttering, pause while the buffer increases, and even then still get some broken audio.  It seems that if WMP can play the files cleanly that MJ8 should be able to also.  Is there a way to adjust the buffer settings to avoid the stuttering and broken audio?

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re:adjust the buffer in MJ8?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2003, 12:35:38 pm »

I know of no option in MJ proper to change this...but you could open up the System Registry (using either regedit or regedt32) and do some exploring. Odds are that the setting is hardcoded. Ever thought of converting these wav's to another lossless format? (ie ape or flac). That will drop the bitrate down (from 1441) to 800 kbs or so.

10-27

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2003, 01:00:31 pm »

Your best bet is to convert the files to APE (Monkey's Audio) .  The sound will be identical since APE is a lossless format, but the bitrate will be about half.

xja

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2003, 01:43:21 pm »

Thanks for the responses.  As a matter of fact, I have already starting converting to APE, and that does work fine. The only reason I had wanted to avoid that was because I also wanted to be able to play the audio files on a Mac (with OS9, not so friendly with lossless codecs!).
Pages: [1]   Go Up