INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Handheld Plugin Path ?  (Read 1698 times)

Sundog_AK

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Handheld Plugin Path ?
« on: December 20, 2003, 06:42:54 pm »

I have an iPaq PDA and have been trying to use the handheld plugin for MC 9.1 (Windows CE) to sync the music on a SD card within the iPAQ.  The plugin can drill down from the left pane window, and see the directory paths but I can see of no way of telling the plugin to default to the SD card directory path rather than the root "Windows CE\" for the que.  The default plugin path dumps everything to the PDA main memory (when using the "drag and drop to here" function).  This is obviously not very useful since the amount of memory built into the PDA is limited, as opposed to the SD Card's 256 MB.

I also have a Nomad Jukebox I which MC 9.1 does very poorly in working with (..looses connection midstream..etc) and have given up on using MC for that unit.  But with 6 GIGs of space on that, I don't move music back and forth often.  

Not the case with the PDA...I would really like to avoid having multiple programs to get the music to the portables, especially since most is in APE format and easier to do from MC.  

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.  

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:Handheld Plugin Path ?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2003, 09:50:15 am »

Sundog,

In regards to your PDA, try drag and dropping the files onto the 'Storage Card' entry in the tree. After you have done this once, if you do a 'Send to', MC will remember the path.

In regards to the Nomad Jukebox I, if you are having lost connections in the middle of actions such as uploads, this is almost certainly a driver issue. What version of the Creative drivers are you using and where did you get them?

Steve

Sundog_AK

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2003, 03:54:39 pm »

Thanks for the reply.  

On the PDA, I had tried that but that didn't work either.  When I drag and drop I get an error box with "Cannot open the destinatation file for writing"  Seems odd because it isn't write protected, etc.  In Windows Explorer I can drag and drop to the SD Card no problem (the way I have been having to copy outside of MC 9.1).  It is communicating with the PDA since the first time I tried within MC 9.1, it copied it to the iPAQ but to the internal PDA memory.  But the iPAQ 2215 was not happy about most of its internal memory being full.  I have another SD card and will try that to see if it is something with that SD card even though seems unlikely.  

On the Jukebox, I suppose it could be a driver issue but it seems odd that the other programs (Creative's, other 3rd party) can access the Jukebox fine.  What happens is if you click on the Nomad icon in the MC tree, it will give you an error that it is not connected (when it is).  If you click on it again, it will access the Nomad and copy fine. With version 9.0 of MC, it wouldn't even do that, it would lock up MC.  I do not have the Nomad here (it's at work) to give you the exact errors or to see if the current build has fixed any of that.  I will bring it home over Xmas long weekend and try out to see.  

Thanks again,

Chris

SteveG

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2003, 04:35:27 pm »

Chris,

When I drag and drop I get an error box with "Cannot open the destinatation file for writing"

When exactly do you see this error? After you drag and drop and then click on 'Transfer'?

If you go to Tools->Plug-in Manager->Handheld->PDA, do you show version 9.0.05 of the plugin installed?

Steve

Sundog_AK

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2003, 05:13:43 pm »

Correct, I get the error after clicking transfer button and the plugin does show as 9.0.05.  I also should have noted that I can delete files from within MC on the SD Card (from left directory tree pane), so it is something paticular about the copying portion.

Sundog_AK

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2003, 01:55:56 am »

I did some fiddling and it isn't the SD card.  It also appears that the plugin is not recognizing the size of the SD card (256 MB).  With the drag and drop window open, I noticed MC only shows the internal memory remaining in the PDA (15 MB).  If you drill down through the directory structure to the SD Card in MC 9 (left pane), it does not update or change the size value.  The iPAQ 2215 uses PPC 2003, I don't know of that is a difference for the plugin you developed.

I also tried copying a small file, such as a cover art JPG, thinking maybe it was just not relaying the size information correctly to the plugin.  However, if you do like you described in your previous post, once you hit the transfer button the transfer progress dialog window comes up, but then so does an additional empty error window with no text in main dialog window (just red "X").  The title on the top of the dialog window is "h".  Nothing else.  It then proceeds to hang at the "Device Transfer Progress" box and you can not cancel out of the transfer.  MC still works but the transfer box can not be canceled unless you exit out of MC completely.  

So in summary:

1) I can add/delete folders within the SD card through MC
2) I can delete any files on the SD card through MC (that I previously copied through Windows XP explorer). So MC does "see" the card contents, etc.
3) The plug in works fine when transferring to internal memory of PDA (not workable though with only 15 MB).  
4) Plugin hangs when copying smaller files (such as JPG file) to the SD Card path with an odd "h" error dialog window.
5) I uninstalled and reinstalled the plugin. No change.   I am using plugin version 9.0.05.  MC is version 9.1.316.   It is on a Windows XP box..with all current patches/updates..etc.  
6) It isn't the card or some glitch of the connection to the computer.  I can copy fine through Windows to the card via Windows Explorer, and like said above, MC does see the directory contents of the card.  I need to see if I can borrow a Compact Flash card and see if it does it on that as well.  

Thanks,

Chris

SteveG

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2003, 02:48:14 pm »

Chris,

I will take a look at this next week and post more.

Steve

SteveG

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2003, 10:34:05 am »

Chris,

I cannot duplicate the failure to transfer to the SD card. We have different PDA's, are transferring different files, and have different SD cards. Could you email me a file that fails for you so I can test it and rule that out as the problem? (steve @ jriver.com) Also, what version of ActiveSync do you have installed?

In regards to the reporting of available space on the storage card, as far as I can tell, CE does not provide a way to get this information.

Steve

Sundog_AK

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2004, 11:14:42 pm »

Steve:

Activesync version is 3.7.1 Build 3244 (most current as far as I know).  I will email a file when I get back to the home computer.  However, I doubt it is a corrupt file simply because those same files that fail in MC work fine when transferring directly from within Windows Explorer.  I had tried it within MC for APE, WMA, MP3, and JPG files all with same results.

Thanks,
Chris
Pages: [1]   Go Up