INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: any tip setting recorder?  (Read 1291 times)

zevele10

any tip setting recorder?
« on: December 05, 2002, 04:16:12 am »

For me it is a very big pain ..somewhere to set Recorder from Mixer.
2,5 i get 'very low' -2,9 i get 'very hight' and so on for 20 up to 30 tests........

There is tips to set it faster?
Any kind of scale  recording control/volume control?
Kind of volume twice the recording control?

I wonder

The great thing is that when recorder tells you 'babe ,now you are fine ' ,the rip you get is top

The second great thing is that ,unlike TotalRecorder driver, MJ Recorder does not mess around your computer

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: any tip setting recorder?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2002, 09:47:13 am »

What are you recording from? If it's an external source (cassette, LP, etc.), you don't need to use the Mixer source and the level adjustment will be automatic.
If you're recording from a web based source, I can explain in more detail.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

zevele10

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2002, 09:51:38 am »

yes i record streams from the net.
If you are up to give me some tips ,thank you in advance

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2002, 12:37:03 pm »

Well, it can be a little complicated and it depends on the sound card driver as to what the recording sources are named. Here's how I did it:

1. open the windows mixer control and go to options/properties, check "playback" and check all the available volume controls, click OK.

2. look for the "Wave" playback source and un-mute or select this. Set the volume to about 50% as a starting point.

3. go to options/properties, check "recording", and check all the available recording sources, click ok.

4. select or un-mute the "All" or "Sum" or "Stereo Mix", or something similar. Set the volume to about 50% as a starting point. Make sure the other sources are de-selected or muted.

5. Leave the mixer open and start playing your web radio station in MJ. Open the sound recorder and select Options/Recording volume Auto/Start test. Now move the mixer slider for the "All", or "Sum" or whatever until the clipping distortion is somewhere between .1 and .5 percent. If you can't get it low enough, lower the playback volume from step 2. If you can't get it high enough, raise the playback volume from step 2.

6. Try a test recording and see how it sounds. Adjust the volume from step 4 up or down if needed.

7. Start the real recording.

This sounds like it would take forever, but it really only takes about 5 minutes.

Another option (that I haven't tried) would be to connect a cable from your sound card's line-out jack to the line-in jack. Then you could select "line-in" for the source in MJ and let it automatically adjust the optimum volume for you. If it couldn't get a good level automatically, you could adjust the "Wave" playback volume as in step 2 above.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

zevele10

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2002, 01:25:51 pm »

THANK YOU!!!
To late now -1:15 pm- to test.

But i understand 100% and i know it does not take a long time .
My problem was that i was starting settings without any hint  how hight to set both for a start.

Since few days ,i had a look at some recorders
And ,when you get the good setting with MJ recorder, it is with MJ you get the best sound  with the most presence and 'punch' and without clipping.

I may try the second solution...but to move all the gear to get to the soundcard jacks ....
Pages: [1]   Go Up