INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ogg Vorbis files slow to update  (Read 1276 times)

wonmug

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Don't worry, I'm always like this!
Ogg Vorbis files slow to update
« on: December 30, 2003, 08:03:04 pm »

Now that MC 10 has been in the works for a while, I decided to try it out. The first thing I found was that updating of OGG file tags is, if anything, slower than ever.

I am now in the process of updating five OGG files simply by rating them all 3 stars. Since starting, I have opened Interact, and written this post. It has just now finished the first file and is updating the second. (The message is "saving tag changes (2 of 5).")

This is unacceptable performance in a program as mature as MC. Please address this problem.

(Still at 2 of 5. I wonder how long it will take to update the many other OGG files I have recently added to my collection.)
From the desk of: wonmug

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re:Ogg Vorbis files slow to update
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2003, 09:04:59 pm »

Where are the files?  Local disk, network server, etc.?

Does moving them make any difference?

Is it all OGG files or certain ones?  If it's only certain ones, could you provide a sample?

Are you storing / removing cover art internally?

Thanks!
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

matshif

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2003, 09:13:44 pm »

I have also noticed this.

I have my files on a local disk and have the problem with all OGG files.

The long saving time come even if you just add a dot.

I counted to 9 sec for just 20 files.

The same change with MP3 goes like just that.

Media Center Registered 10.0.26 -- C:\Program\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 3179 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1047 MB, Free - 659 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1276 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive E:   Copy mode:Normal   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Drive F:   Copy mode:Normal   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive F: _NEC     DVD+RW ND-1100A    Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:16  MaxSpeed:16  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: No
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

wonmug

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2003, 11:37:39 pm »

Where are the files?  Local disk, network server, etc.?

Does moving them make any difference?

Is it all OGG files or certain ones?  If it's only certain ones, could you provide a sample?

Are you storing / removing cover art internally?

The files are on a Firewire drive (250 GB). It happens with all Ogg files, but the first update is always the slowest. That is, if I newly import Ogg files, the first time I update a tag field takes several minutes per update. Subsequent updates are faster, but still much slower than updating tags for other formats. I don't store cover art with the files.

Nikolay

• Former CTO, JRiver, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2003, 09:52:03 am »

I believe, it's a problem with Ogg format. In order to change any tag information in a file, we have to open the file, read all the tag info, change the info, and rewrite the file. That's how it's done in their SDK.

Did you try any other tools? Did you see any difference in speed?

I just tried winamp; tagging speed is the same as in MC.

Nikolay

matshif

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2003, 11:10:09 am »

Well It's not a big problem to me. I don't change tags that often. I mostly listen to my music. 8)

wonmug

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2003, 05:57:41 pm »

Well It's not a big problem to me. I don't change tags that often. I mostly listen to my music. 8)
If your files are not properly tagged to begin with, you have to tag them at least once. Else why would you use a program as sophisticated as MC? You could just as well use one of the free players. (Why is it that when someone points out a missing or defective feature, someone always has to come back with "So what? You don't need that feature anyway!"? It happens all the time in discussions between Mac and Windows fans, or Linux and Windows fans, etc. It really drives me nuts. I obviously need this feature to work or I wouldn't be asking, OK?)

Anyway, the problem is not changing tags, but the initial tagging time. In answer to the previous post, yes, I have tried other dedicated tagger tools, and they all tag Ogg files instantly. So there's got to be a better way than what MC is doing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up