INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AAC tag display issue from iTunes tracks  (Read 1165 times)

LeoH

• World Citizen
AAC tag display issue from iTunes tracks
« on: January 13, 2004, 08:49:21 pm »

I have a few hundred tracks purchased from the iTunes store that are managed by MC10 (.32 is current). The program shows many but not all of the tag info.

What shows is: track#, name, album, composer, bitrate (which, BTW, indicates 125k instead of 128k.

What does not show is: genre, date (year), last played, number plays, comments, ), and 'my rating'.

The tracks under test had empty fields filled by me in the iTunes manager (for Windows) and auto-filled fields were filled by playing tracks in iTunes mgr (to fill 'last played' and 'number plays').

With HP announcing the remarketing of the iPod and support for the iTunes Store, 'AAC' is here to stay in a big way. With 'AAC' support in MC10 via QuickTime codec and encoding available via 'iTunes Manager' (or 'Nero 6'), this is starting to become a workable choice for encoding music.

Ultimately, I would image that J River could simply sell an AAC codec plug-in to interested users for whatever Apple charges plus a markup. Let's say it was $40, I believe enough interested users of MC would buy it.

I am sure 'AAC' file support is still a work in progress but thought this might be helpful feedback.

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:AAC tag display issue from iTunes tracks
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2004, 04:43:15 pm »

LeoH,

Are you saying that when you first import these tracks into iTunes, you do not see these empty fields? We currently do not implement writing AAC tags, but for fields such as last played, number played, etc, MC will store that info.  The genre may not show up if it is one I am not checking for. What is the Genre you are looking for?

Steve

LeoH

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2004, 06:54:46 pm »

Steve,

I am stating that I import tracks into iTunes manager first when I purchase them from the iTunes store (a default that cannot be worked around). I then noticed that all of the fields that I enumerated in my post above were filled (some after I played the track). I then import the tracks into MC10 and the fields: track#, name, album, composer and bitrate show the same tag info as when originally in the iTunes manager. The other fields I listed do not show in MC10: genre, data (year), last played, number plays, comments and rating. However, these tag fields do reappear when tracks are moved back into iTunes.

-Leo

SteveG

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2004, 10:30:03 am »

Leo,

Thanks. I am curious if in regards to these fields..

data (year), last played, number plays, comments and rating

if you remove them from iTunes and then reimport them, does this data still persist? I ask because I do not think iTunes is writing this information into the tag. What is the genre for one of the files that MC does not see?

Steve

LeoH

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2004, 07:58:28 pm »

Steve,

Itunes manage does indeed use all of the fields that I listed. The only question is 'data (year)' in MC10 where I may be presumptuous in assuming that it is the same as 'year' in the iTunes manager. I set the ratings field in the iTunes manager and entered some text in the comment field, and, the iTunes manager set number of plays and last played fields when I played the tracks in iTunes manager. As for genre, I have some of several different types: Rock, Jazz, Classical, etc.

-Leo

SteveG

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2004, 04:42:42 pm »

LeoH,

I can add 'comment' and then will try for year. Rating, Last Played and Play Count are all fields that do not appear to be written to the tag on AAC from within iTunes. If you remove and reimport a file, this data goes away. When I import files with Genre set to Rock or Jazz, it is recognized by MC.

Steve

LeoH

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2004, 12:11:09 am »

Steve,

Now that is odd. You are correct. The following genre types import from itunes to MC 10 with their respective name appearing in the genre field: 'Rock', 'Pop', 'Alternative', 'Jazz',  'Country' and 'Classical'. Interestingly, 'R&B/Soul' and 'Vocal' do NOT appear. All tested tracks came from the iTunes store. I do not know how to explain the two missing genre types nor can I explain why no genre's appeared in an earlier release of MC10 but now the do. The summary above was carefully tested in the latest 10.0.41.

-Leo
Pages: [1]   Go Up