INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT -- way OT  (Read 3280 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
OT -- way OT
« on: February 22, 2004, 07:26:32 pm »

What I Did Last Summer

by JimH

Dedicated to Mike (as the Falls fall) Noe

When I began to learn how to fly, I didn’t think much about what it might be like to solo.  It seemed unlikely that I would continue with the lessons long enough to get to that point.  As I progressed from one stage to the next, there were so many details to learn that I didn’t think about the future.

After about 30 hours of lessons, my instructor began to talk about “pushing me from the nest”.  I was still having a lot of trouble landing.  I had trouble coordinating the feet and the hands.  For those who’ve never experienced this, the feet are used to move two pedals that resemble a pair of brake pedals.  They control the rudder (a tab at the back of the vertical part of the tail) in the air and the rudder and nose wheel on the ground.  When you push your left foot forward, the plane wants to turn left.  The pedals also have a top portion that is a brake so when you want to brake, you must slide your feet up on the pedal and push.

Your hands are on the “yoke” which moves forward and back to pitch the plane’s nose down or up.  It does this by wagging the horizontal part of the tail, the stabilator on my plane (a 25 year old Piper Warrior).  The yoke also rotates like a steering wheel.  This rotation moves the ailerons, the big tabs at the back of each wing, up and down, which tilts the plane to the left or right.  It is a big disappointment when you’re trying to steer the plane down the runway and nothing happens when you turn the “steering wheel”.

When you add up the four ways the yoke can move and the two foot pedals doing two different things, you can imagine that this is intimidating to learn.  It’s tougher still when you try to steer the plane with the wrong control.  In my case, I finally discovered that I was trying to steer on the ground while my feet were still up on the brakes and not down where they should be.

In the beginning it feels like you’re trying to parallel park by aiming at a parking space while you’re still backing in reverse at 70 miles per hour and timing the release of the gas to allow you to roll to a dead stop without touching the brakes as you enter the parking space and make the final turn.  It’s probably as much fun to watch for the instructor as it would be for a high school driving teacher trying to teach the 70 MPH parking method to a 15 year old kid.

Once I finally was able to get the plane on the ground safely (that’s not to say “land the plane”) it hit me that the next step would be a solo.  I had to admit it scared me.  I began to wake up at night and think about it.  When I was driving, it made my hands sweat to think about the solo.  After that, each time I flew, I thought “I’d better get this landing thing right because this may be the day that he steps out of the plane and tells me to go back for a couple more takeoffs and landings.”

This went on for an agonizingly long period – three weeks at least.  Then one day the instructor gave me an exam to take.  I could take it home and use the book to do it, but I had to get it completely right, no mistakes, before I could solo.  I paid very close attention to this test.  I knew a single wrong answer could do me in, even if it wasn’t caught.

I should describe the landing itself and what goes through your head.  If you’re coming from a point away from the airport, you must dial in the radio frequency of the weather report to learn the wind direction, speed, and runways in use.  You then make a call 10 miles out.  “Flying Cloud Tower, this is Warrior 2240 Golf (for the letter G) 10 miles southwest, inbound for landing with Mike.”  In this case, the Mike is for the letter M and it’s the particular weather report you just listened to.  The tower will say, “Warrior 2240 Golf, runway 28 Left, report when three miles out.  You go through a similar routine when you’re three miles out.  

By this time, you’ve done your checklist for descent.  The critical items can be remembered from the pseudo word, BCGUMPS.  Booster pump for the fuel, Carburetor heat on and off, Gas level and pressure, Undercarriage (on a Warrior the wheels are always down but it’s good to think about anyway because you might need it some day), Mixture (gas and air), Primer in and locked, and Seat belts fastened.

As you do this, you’re descending from cruising altitude to the “pattern altitude” – usually 1000 feet above the airport.  You enter it at the mid-point of the downwind leg, parallel to the runway you’ve been cleared to land on.  You’re doing 90 knots (about 100 MPH) about a mile out at this time and you can see the runway well.  When you pass the “numbers” where you will touch down, you pitch the airplane forward, reduce the power considerably, and put in the first “notch” of flaps (10 degrees on the Warrior).  In less than a minute, at the point when the runway is at about a 45 degree angle out your back window, you make a ninety degree turn to the “base leg”, still maintaining the rate of descent.  You put in a second notch of flaps (25 degrees) and check your speed and altitude.  The final turn hopefully puts you in line with the runway, headed back into the wind.  You put in the final notch of flaps (40 degrees).

On this final leg, there are a lot of things that can happen, but you hope you’re in line with the runway.  You may need to “crab” into the wind (point the nose to one side) in order to stay in line with the runway.

It is a strong sensation the first few times you do this because it looks like you are going to fly the plane into the ground and you’re keenly aware that it could be done.  The runway looks small.  It looks hard.  There are often several planes waiting to take off exactly where they can watch you bounce down.

The feel of the plane’s controls have also changed with the introduction of flaps and the much slower speed.  Everything is “mushy”.  You don’t get an immediate response and so the tendency is to oversteer.  If you do this, you come down out of the air with your tail wagging and your wings bobbing left and right.  It’s not pretty, but it’s not easy to do otherwise until you get a really good feel for how the plane will behave in slow flight.  Once you have it, you learn to make small adjustments and the movement is much more graceful.

It is critical at this point that you have the plane under good control.  It must be in line with the runway.  You must not be moving around too much.  You must have the speed at about 70 knots when you’re pointed straight at the numbers, then 63 knots as you pass over the numbers.  As you pass over this “threshold” where the numbers are, you ease the power out and you pull the yoke smoothly back so the plane “flares” (level attitude) and you let the plane settle on the main wheels.  If you do it right, you’re still pulling the yoke back as this happens and the plane’s lift is gone as it touches.  This is called a “full stall landing”.  I can’t do it, but I’ve seen it done.  

This whole process of the final leg to the chirp of the tires touching the runway feels like it takes about ten minutes because there are so many things going on.  But you aren’t done yet.  You must keep the nose up and use your feet to keep the plane centered on the runway because you’re still doing about 50 knots and you don’t want any grass in the wheel fairings when you park the plane.

Bigger picture here:
http://www.jriver.com/~jriver/2004/flying/DSC00051.JPG

smOOzz

• Junior Woodchuck
  • fine and warm
Re:OT -- way OT
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2004, 08:06:59 pm »

Bravo !  
and just remember “You must learn from the mistakes of others......."
And don't invent too many new ones...especially ones you can't fix in a hurry.

Galley

• Galactic Citizen
  • Insert witty text here
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2004, 09:09:19 pm »

I got my private pilot's license in college at the University of North Dakota.  I had to do a 500-mile round-trip SOLO flight from Grand Forks to Bismarck to Fargo and then back to GF.  On the way to Fargo, the winds had increased, blowing me off course, but I used dead reckoning to find my way back.  (Dead reckoning is using points on the ground to orient yourself).  I-94 runs in a straight line from Bismarck to Fargo, so I just turned north until I found it.  Of course, ND is miles and miles of nothing, so it was easy to spot.
Another time I was doing touch and go's at GF, and my Cessna 152 began to slide sideways on the icy runway.  To avoid hitting a dry spot and having the plane tip over and damage the wing, I gunned it and took off the side of the runway.  :o

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2004, 07:09:04 am »

Congratulations Jim.

You are completing a lot of long, hard work.

Keep you studies up, your airtime high, & you wheels safely back on the ground.

Years ago, I took the controls of a small Beechcraft from my brother one day in Ohio.  I will never forget that day & have always had dreams of flying myself.

For those who can't afford a real plane I suggest you try Microsoft's Flight Simulator 2004 a Century of Flight.

The sensations that Jim talked about are all there in FS; the homework, the sweaty palms, the check list, rudder / brakes, do I have the correct air speed, setting the flaps, lowering the gear, aligning up with the runway, crosswinds, communicating with the tower, setting the prop speed & mixture correctly for the altitude & speed, & yes trying to do a hundred other things at once.

And that is for a slow moving Cessna 172 or 182.  Flying a high speed jet is all that x10!

Sometimes after a flight I am tense, nervous, & yes the sweaty palms; but I love it.  Have been doing it for 10 years now & plan on continuing.

I have been flying Filght Sim since 95 & am currently on my eighth Flight Sim including three MS Combat Flight Sims that provides an entirely different experience.

My computer is set up for Flight Sim.  I have a Saitek X-45 HOTIS (stick & separate throttle), CH Products Pro Pedals (with toe breaks), CH Products Flight Sim Yoke (just got that one, really nice for civilian planes), Logitech WingMan Cordless Rumblepad (for quick & dirty short flights).

My latest purchase is a Natural Point TrackIR 2 which tracks my head movement for viewing.  This eliminates having to use a jerky Hat switch as I can now simply look around with my head.

I even subscribe to a wonderful magazine called "Computer Pilot".  Many of the articles are written by real pilots.  It is one very slick mag.

As you can see, Flight Sim (and real flying) can become additive real fast.
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2004, 01:06:57 pm »

Here's what I really did last summer.

http://www.movies01.com/jriver/rainstorm1.wmv

It's a 3MB movie clip of about a minute, standing on the highway in Nebraska, looking at the sky, which was mostly black following a very heavy rain but had a couple of big bright open patches of sky showing.

Thanks to Kevin for taking it and editing it.  There's more on the way.

Mike Noe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2004, 01:54:42 pm »

Way to go, JimH.   :D

That's a great write-up.

Hope you don't mind, I'd like to post the body of this on the board at our field (W13).  We have 42 students at various points in the "process" (me, instrument,  being one of them).  We have a short field (2000ft) and it gets very frustrating for some of the new pilots to get past all the thinking and on to the "feeling".

I believe this will help some of them.

A bit of trivia about our field... You may have seen the recent CBS scandal news story about GA airport security problems.  Well, they interviewed John Trissel, the field manager at W13.  CBS set the interview up under false pretenses and took John's comments out of context.  It created quite the furor in many circles and John has taken most of the heat for what happened.

Typical in aviation...you just never know what's going to happen if you stand around and watch for a while.   :)
openSUSE TW/Plasma5 x86_64 | Win10Pro/RX560
S.M.S.L USB-DAC => Transcendent GG Pre (kit) => Transcendent mono OTLs (kit)
(heavily modded) Hammer Dynamics Super-12s (kit)
(optionally) VonSchweikert VR8s

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2004, 01:58:49 pm »

Hope you don't mind, I'd like to post the body of this on the board at our field (W13).  
Of course it's OK, Mike.  Thanks for asking.  Please put a red pen on a string beside it so people can make the corrections it must need.   ;)

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2004, 02:03:55 pm »

CBS set the interview up under false pretenses

CBS News normaly does, We are not allowed to talk to any of them because of this. Only written statements from the home office.

Jimh So, It Is Not Clear Yet To Me, Did You Solo Yet or is that in the future?

Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2004, 02:26:44 pm »

Yes.  Here are some pictures from my third time up alone.

http://www.jriver.com/~jriver/2004/flying/

DocLotus

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2004, 02:41:36 pm »

All I can say is that looks COLD :-\
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

DocLotus

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2004, 02:43:16 pm »

Jim, the link to "Here's what I did last summer" seems to be broken >:(

jleerigby

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2004, 04:57:53 pm »

Wow Jim.  That's awesome.  Must have taken a lot of determination.  It's an achievement most of us can only dream about.  Congratulations.

Being chief pilot on interact must be a piece of cake in comparison.  I suppose there'a few similarities to be drawn if you think about it though...  

Riding high,
top of the world,
everything going smoothly,
then a bit of turbulence,
some of the passengers get a bit sick,
one even jumps out the exit,
then the pilot rides the storm,
"sorry for that bit of turbulence passengers, I think we're through the worst of it now"
And indeed we are,
Pilot makes a beautiful smooth landing,
Passengers applaud,
And they can't wait for the next big exciting flight.

Thanks again for sharing your wonderful story.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2004, 06:11:26 pm »

Yes.  Here are some pictures from my third time up alone.

http://www.jriver.com/~jriver/2004/flying/

I never flew a plane only my OH-58 A\C

I always like flying not sure why, maybe the same reason I liked Jumping from a plane "the feeling" of being so high in the air.

I am now wondering why:

1. why Did you start flying
2. do you like it?
3. And if you like flying, why?

Alot of people fly, but I don't think it is the same as having the controls in your hand and the Adrenalin rush you get. It is like getting high really (Disclamer: I never inhaled). maybe thats why i liked running around in the army trying to get shot at.

Thats just my view point.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2004, 07:26:35 pm »

OH58...
I thought you said something about that back when you were lying to the people about WMD.  I'm impressed you're still here.  No, I'm amazed.

Bigger picture here:
http://www.jriver.com/~jriver/2004/helicopter/OH58.jpg

I'll have to think about the questions.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2004, 07:42:42 pm »

OH58...
I thought you said something about that back when you were lying to the people about WMD.  I'm impressed you're still here.  No, I'm amazed.

Bigger picture here:
http://www.jriver.com/~jriver/2004/helicopter/OH58.jpg

I'll have to think about the questions.

I think that is one of the newer 58's due to the windshield is flat, and the doors have less glass. it also has been some years and I am older. Of cource we flew with the doors off most of the time, maybe thats why I remember the more glass on the doors.

here is one with the round windshield, and more glass on the doors. not the Exhaust stack one is set back, one is straght up. the one going straight up is to cut a chance of a heat seeking Missile from hitting you. it sends the Exhaust up to the blades to mix it with cold air more.

there is a few models the civ make has longer landing gear "Bell 206 JetRanger".

this one also does not have landing skid plates, they strap on the landing gear to do running landings, and are normaly on most if not all military OH-58's
Fayetteville, NC, USA

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2004, 03:04:05 am »

Excellent story Jim and congrats.

It looks so easy in the movies.

Bryan

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2004, 10:43:41 am »

This just happened (last week) to a close friend of mine..  I thought it appropriate to post in this thread...  I'm sure Jim and other pilots here can deeply appreciate what this guy went through..

This incident could have easily turned out much worse and I'm glad he was able to keep his cool and recall his safety training when he needed it.. It saved his life..

His recollection of what happened is an interesting read..  The FAA is supposed to get him the conversation transcripts which he will post on the site..

http://www.willij.com/

BTW, he uses MJ (at my recommendation).

Bryan

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2004, 03:03:29 pm »

Great story!  And a good ending.  Sounds like he handled it as it should have been.

Even with just the 50 hours I've got, my instructors have spent a lot of time preparing me for just this situation.  "Fly the plane.  Establish your best glide path.  Look for a place to land.  Then start thinking about restarting the engine."  They've pulled the power on me several times and made me pick a place and get to it in a position to land.  Twice they did this while were in the pattern and made me land without power.  Even on a runway, even knowing you could push the power back on, it's heart pounding stuff.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2004, 05:27:22 pm »

RED SPRINGS, N.C is about 20 mins from me

small world
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Bryan

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2004, 07:20:45 pm »

Great story!  And a good ending.  Sounds like he handled it as it should have been.

Yeah a very good ending indeed..  He was pretty shook up about it..  I am too sorta.   I flew in that plane less than a month ago and he's always trying to get me to go up with him.  I told him today I wasn't getting back in that thing but of course I'm lying and just giving him a hard time..  (wondering now how much parachutes cost...)  :-\  He said he must have sat there for 20 seconds after the plane stopped and was still pulling back on the yoke.   The FAA guy said it was some darn good flying and he should have been on his back considering how soft the ground was..  

His insurance company claims it wasn't technically a crash so they're only going to pay for a fraction of repairs..  Typical from the only industry in the country that is both wealthier and greedier than the recording industry..   ::)

Bryan
Pages: [1]   Go Up