INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Strange MP3 tag behavior  (Read 934 times)

MGD_King

• Citizen of the Universe
  • It's not easy being me, but it sure is fun!
Strange MP3 tag behavior
« on: March 28, 2004, 10:06:38 pm »

I got a new head unit for my car last week. It reads ID3v2.4 tag info out of MP3s, which is cool because it displays up to 64 characters of text from the tags. But here's something that has me puzzled.

Some files (complete albums actually) don't show up correctly in the display. The stereo shows no ID tag info for the track(s). I've narrowed it down to this after burning about a half dozen CDs while testing- the image (cover art) is somehow corrupting the tag info. I verified this by removing the cover art and it displays fine in the car.

Before coming to this conclusion, I tested everything I could think of. I edited tag fields, I removed some tag fields (genre and year) and that didn't do it. I completely removed the tag, and then added it back, and that didn't do it. I then removed the cover art, and that did it.

Now here's a couple of options that I have. I can find new cover art for all the corrupted files, but that might not do it, plus, the only way I have of knowing what's corrupted is when I look at it in the car. Or, I can not save the image in the MP3 itself, just "link" to it the way that Media Center does.

Any one have any thoughts on this strange behavior? Why would an image (a .jpg file of less than 100KB) corrupt the tag info? More specifically, why would it corrupt the tag info on some albums and not others or all? Is it the .jpg file itself that's corrupt?

MGD_King

Re:Strange MP3 tag behavior
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2004, 10:51:35 am »

Anyone? Bueller?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2004, 10:54:55 am »

I doubt that the files are corrupt.  It's probably more likely that the firmware of your player doesn't properly support internal art. (or simply tags that large)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MGD_King

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2004, 11:40:24 am »

That's what I'm thinking Matt, but that wouldn't explain why it only does it to some files (folders, which would be a complete album with the same cover art embedded in the file) and not all.

Thanks for the response!  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up