INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: flac, wma, ape, mc, mj questions  (Read 1241 times)

khaos100

• Junior Woodchuck
flac, wma, ape, mc, mj questions
« on: April 08, 2004, 08:53:30 pm »

I hate lossy compression. I don't want to hear about how higher bit rates are just as good. They aren't, just listen to the original uncompressed recording next to a supposed great lossy compressed one on a high end system or with high end head phones. Lossy sucks.

That being said, MP3s and me don't mix.  Yet I'd like a portable without using full uncompressed wav.  APE is out since it isn't very popular.

So there's WMA 9 Pro and FLAC.

First, do any portable players use the new WMA 9 Pro?  Also, am I right that now JRiver won't support WMA encoding so it's pointless anyway?  

I believe Rio supports FLAC on some of their players.  So if i upgrade to MC from MJ, I can still use APE on my PC and convert to FLAC for the portable right?

My biggest thing is I could care less about all the other stuff in MC.  I have the software I like for video and recording and want this only for my music.  I don't mind not using the other stuff because if MC works as well as MJ I'd still pay the $40 for it, but the lack of WMA support worries me.

I need assurance that the FLAC encoding in MC is as easy to use as APE and that MC supports the transfer to players that use FLAC.

Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:flac, wma, ape, mc, mj questions
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2004, 08:57:50 pm »

Media Center fully supports WMA lossless compression.

khaos100

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2004, 01:07:24 pm »

Thank you.

Now, before I purchase MC, how does the upgrade work?  Will it replace MJ, or will it be a separate installation with the two beside each other?  If it's separate, a simple import of the already tagged APE file from the hatdrive should work, correct?  Will the album images I have on another hard drive still be associated?  Do you still allow multiple installs? I need 2, one for my laptop and one for a PC.  

Thanks.

pipsqueak

• "Actually, it's elementary, my dear Dawson!"
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2004, 05:08:31 pm »

mc replaces mj

it should move over your data

last question - dunno

JimH

• Administrator