INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT: New Sound Card Recommendations?  (Read 4471 times)

MGD_King

• Citizen of the Universe
  • It's not easy being me, but it sure is fun!
OT: New Sound Card Recommendations?
« on: May 17, 2004, 10:07:41 am »

My current sound card is a Soundblaster Live PCI 128 (on board the mobo) and I just picked up a set of Creative 5.1 Surround Sound speakers (5200 series) so now I need a new sound card that supports surround sound. My question is should I go for the Creative Labs - Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Audio Card or save a couple of bucks and get the Creative Labs - Sound Blaster Audigy LS Audio Card? The only difference that I can tell is that the Audigy 2 card has 7.1 capability, which isn't a concern as I have 5.1 speakers.

Anyone here have any advice? If anyone here has one of these cards, please post your pros/cons about it so I can get a better idea as to which to get.  To give you some idea of what I do with my PC, I play some games and I use MC for my music.  I have a DVD player, too, but don't use it much. Maybe I will with the right sound card?

Thanks in advance! And thanks for the move JimH! I forgot to post it here in the "Device Feedback" forum.

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
Re:OT: New Sound Card Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2004, 12:07:49 pm »

I think that in addition to 7.1 the top end card also has a better S/N (Signal to Noise Ratio) which will provide cleaner output.

Suggest you check out all the specs on both cards.  There may also be some other features that are not apparent in the top end card.
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

GRAYDOG

• World Citizen
  • Weimaraners Rule
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2004, 05:59:12 pm »

What's the price difference ? I have the  Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Audio Card and the sound is great . I use Klipsch  5.1pro media ultras  with the card . I belive you can go here http://us.creative.com/products/
 and compare

MGD_King

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2004, 06:25:18 pm »

The price difference is about $30.00. I'm leaning towards the Audigy 2 ZS. Thanks for the posts!  8)

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2004, 08:02:10 pm »

... I'm leaning towards the Audigy 2 ZS...

That's what I have and I love it. There is one problem that I have not been able to solve, mostly because I haven't really tried:
Media Center's DSP doesn't appear to function ... at least the "effects" and "equalizer" don't. "Replay gain" and "Output format" do. I have never tried "direct x host" since once long ago and it crashed me.

CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

cascius

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2004, 12:26:20 pm »

Charlemagne, I've had a similar problem in the past and here's what i figured: When using MC output format (5.1 for example), the other DSP effects do not work. So what I've done is disable the output format and use the creative lab stereo -> 5.1 automatic converter. Now I can use all the other DSPs adn it sounds great.

PS: I use a creative labs Live 5.1.

-Cascius

MGD_King

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2004, 08:44:48 pm »

I went ahead and purchased the Audigy 2 ZS and I have to say it was well worth the money! It's so much cleaner sounding than the onboard card, and the surround sound is awesome for games like Call for Duty and Battlefield: Vietnam.

Charlemagne, I tried the DSP in MC and it worked fine for me. I don't use any other DSP effects other than the EQ, but I had no problems.

Thanks for the input everyone! I'm a happy listener now! 8)
Pages: [1]   Go Up