INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dolby digital music, DTS music (CD and DVD), 24/96 Chesky DAD, DVD VOB files....  (Read 4849 times)

Health Nut

• World Citizen

Hi,

I have a variety of music, most of the new stuff is multichannel music and I continue to get more and more DD, DTS music... I also have Chesky DAD 24/96 2.0 stuff...  In any case, I reaslly think there should be an easy way to rip DD, DTS and be able to play it back via MC...  What can I do?  I think this ability is critical... Red Book 16/44.1 audio is dwindling for me, particulary newer titles...  I want to be able to use MC for everything.  I would love to play my VOB files (DVD-Dolby Digital music videos by MC instead of by Theatertek... particularly becasue I want the ability to use playlists and random, etc...  DVD music is only going to get more and more prevalent...  We can rip VOB files , just need to be able to play them back via MC... what about 24/96 Chesky DAD 2.0 stuff, etc..?

loraan

• Galactic Citizen

Can't MC play VOB files? If you go to a directory wherein a DVD has been ripped, it can play back the DVD. How is this different from playing back the VOB files?

Disclaimer: I've never ripped a DVD-Audio, so I've no clue if there are differences between that and a DVD-Video.

Mike Noe

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Here is how I chose to backup my Chesky and DAD 24/96, etc:

16/48 LPCM (uncompressed):   SMartRipper Demux (track at a time)
16/48 LPCM (dolby stereo):   DVD Decrypter, VOB incl video&audio streams, DVD2AVI convert
24/96 LPCM:            VStripper, demux raw, LPCM24 to add wave header
24/48 LPCM:            SmartRipper, all VOBs full (no stream), vStripper Raw PCM, LPCM24 to add wave hdr

I think the new version of DVD Decrypter now handles the 24/48 discs properly, so for those rare ones, it should allow a raw WAV backup.

The goal was to have my backups in WAV format, of course MC handles WAV just fine.  You could then go the extra step and convert to APE or FLAC or whatever.

THe key here is getting a good backup into uncompressed WAV.

Good luck.
openSUSE TW/Plasma5 x86_64 | Win10Pro/RX560
S.M.S.L USB-DAC => Transcendent GG Pre (kit) => Transcendent mono OTLs (kit)
(heavily modded) Hammer Dynamics Super-12s (kit)
(optionally) VonSchweikert VR8s

Health Nut

• World Citizen

Here is where I'm frustrated:

Media Center runs rings around buying multidisc CD changers, however, I have so much multichannel Dolby Digital and DTS music....  All of my best versions of much of my music have been replaced by multichannel mixes in DD or DTS....

So... when will I be able to RIP/Backup my DD and DTS music just as it were 2.0 red book stuff?

I think it is imperative to address the 'one stop shop' issue of DD and DTS music (forget about DVD-A and SACD stuff as this is not an easy issue at the moment) Easy ripping/playback of  DD and DTS music is critical ... One of the best appeals to J Rivers is the 'one stop shop'... Time is money as well as headaches... If you can make ripping DD and DTS music as easy as ripping standard CD's, that would be huge...

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

You can rip and play DTS discs with MC today. (use WAV or APE)

My understanding is that ripping a DVD-A disc violates the DCMA, meaning we could get sued for writing software to solve this problem.  Write your congressman.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Health Nut

• World Citizen

I ripped some DTS "CD" music and I get 'digital hash' for about 2-3 seconds and miss the corresponding first 2-3 seconds of the track...

Any ideas?

I use a Meridian 861 processor connected to an M-Audio all digital card 24/96 ...

I only have a handful of DTS "CD" music... the majority is on DVD or DVD-Audio... You know how DVD-Audio has either DD or DTS version for those who don;t have DVD-Audio players.  Since those are sampled at 48 khz... I assume it will be very time consuming to make it work... something like the person above in this thread described... any way to make this easy?  So much music coming out in DD, DTS, DVD etc...  I guess DD and DTS on DVD is in the same boat as DVD-Audio in terms of legality just because it is on a DVD?

bspachman

• MC Beta Team

I can't help with your digital noise problem, DTS works fine for me with a MAudio DiO 24/96 and a Denon 3802 over a toslink connection. Maybe doing any auto-switching operations on your sound card manually before the track plays?....

As for getting music off of DVDs, there have been several threads about it in the past couple of months. I've had success with the DVD ripper, DVDDecrypter. You can set it up to rip the AC3 audio streams from each chapter individually. You then need to convert them to WAV files with other utilities. See http://www.doom9.org for the gory details.

For DTS soundtracks, the method is similar, except I use a program named "VOBrator". Its claim to fame is the ability to rip DTS audio streams directly to WAV files. They then playback fine in MC.

Once you have the WAV files, it doesn't matter what the sampling rate is, MC plays 48kHz files fine. Burning to 44.1kHz CDs or converting to lossy formats may cause the occasional issue, but you would lose the multi-channel aspect of things anyway, which would kind of defeat the purpose.

Good luck!
Brad

PhilG

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile

Whether this is any use depends on your budget, but Steinberg's WaveLab can do DVD-Audio ripping (details at http://www.steinberg.net/ProductPage_sb.asp?Product_ID=2181&Langue_ID=2)

One more to add to the list...

thomaspf

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!

In order to get your DTS tracks played back correctly you need to configure Media Center to use the ASIO drivers for your M-audio card. Waveout or DirectSound in Windows change the bits before sending them to the sound card so your receiver can't detect the encoded signal any more.

Cheers

Thomas

thomaspf

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!

With regards to AC3 and DTS track ripping Here is how I do that in Zoomplayer.

I have the DTS/AC3source and AC3filter installed on my machine. In Zoomplayer I made sure that dstsource is registered to open .dts and .ac3 files. I enable S/PDIF pass through in AC3filter and from there I can play all tracks by simply loading them.

MC could probably implement something similar if they wanted to.

Cheers

Thomas  

Mike Noe

• MC Beta Team

DTS playback.  On my setup (RME --> toslink --> Proceed AVP), I have to set the card driver to "non-audio" for DTS passthrough.  Works fine from the DTS source.  You might check if the m-audio driver has a similar reqm't.
openSUSE TW/Plasma5 x86_64 | Win10Pro/RX560
S.M.S.L USB-DAC => Transcendent GG Pre (kit) => Transcendent mono OTLs (kit)
(heavily modded) Hammer Dynamics Super-12s (kit)
(optionally) VonSchweikert VR8s

thomaspf

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!

RME cards are a different animal. Their sound driver does not connect to kmixer and therefore does not get the mangled bits.

M-audio drivers use a standard audio driver model which exposes this problem. The way around it is to use the ASIO driver.

Cheers

Thomas
Pages: [1]   Go Up