INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: OT - Euro '04 are you guys getting ready ?  (Read 8348 times)

Cmagic

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Enjoying life with a little music....
OT - Euro '04 are you guys getting ready ?
« on: June 08, 2004, 01:37:07 pm »

Hi to the european folks,

Just thought I'd ask if everybody's getting ready for the interesting games starting at the weekend ?

Chicoself - Portugal as the host should be quite ready by now. Is the pressure steaming up in Lisboa ?

Hey, english folks, ready for a big game next sunday ? ;D

Edit : ooops ! just forgot that some may not know that Euro '04 is the European football association (soccer) championship that will take place in Portugal starting next week-end.

Cheers,

C.
Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

Deivit

• I find your interest interesting...
Re:OT - Euro '04 are you guys getting ready ?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2004, 02:11:20 pm »

Ready here to watch how the spanish team is not able to go beyond the quarter finals, as usual in any major competition  ::)

---
Listening to: 'Blue Samba' from 'FallingStars* Vol. 01' by 'Ike Quebec' on Media Center 10

Berto

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 02:17:55 pm »

I hope that the Dutch team achieves the same result as in 1988.
A day without laughing is a day without living

lee269

• sleep eat sleep eat sleep eat
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2004, 02:24:50 pm »

Beers are on ice, the weekend is cleared, and Im looking forward to watching England thrash the French next Sunday :).

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2004, 06:08:37 pm »

No way! Soccer is a stupid game! Why should they make 22 guys run around chasing after one ball when theyr'e all so rich that thy can buy their own ball! No, I would say that a sport for men is rally! Just look at what Petter Solberg is doing right now! Or cycling - Tor Hushovd is a great athlete! Not to forget skis, but it's the wrong season for that. Soccer? Bah, humbug! (OK, Norway didn't qualify this year, so I'm grumpy because of that! Satisfied?!?!?  >:()
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

sapnho

• Galactic Citizen
  • Leave a legacy
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2004, 12:28:47 am »

Norwegians play soccer? ;D

Don't worry Mastiff, in any audio-multizoning competition you'd qualify hands down...

The Germans will probably only be there for a few days as well...unless the goalie starts eating the other players...

Sniffy

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Honore ton erreur comme une intention cachée
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2004, 01:59:37 am »

Beers are on ice, the weekend is cleared, and Im looking forward to watching England thrash the French next Sunday
Don't want to begin a war by now. Ready to be fair play for Sunday's match between England and France.
Ok you're best in music, but football, not sure. ;)
Good WE

ChicoSelfs

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2004, 02:23:14 am »

I'm ready to Euro ;D ,  i live @ 190 Km from Lisbon (Lisboa) so we not feel the preassure here but in Lisbon it's starting to grow but it's all set to Euro. So who's coming to see the games?
Made in Portugal

PeterS

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2004, 03:22:15 pm »

I'm looking forward to a fab tournament. My brother has gone to Portugal for a whole month. He works for Radio Five Live in the UK, and gets to go to ANY game he wants to. How lucky is that!

Listen to the John Barnes rap on this tune. It's great... kinda.

Listening to: 'World in Motion' from 'Best of New Order' by 'New Order' on Media Center 10

PeterS

lee269

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2004, 03:55:11 pm »

He works for Radio Five Live in the UK

Really? This station is on my stereo constantly. You cant beat talk radio. Is he a reporter? I dont recognise the name.

Hmmm, John Barnes rap - youve been in the US too long I fear. I mean, best footie song ever sure, but come on - John Barnes? Bet you cant get a Euro 04 wallchart over there either :)

TAFKAFEX

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2004, 04:03:52 pm »

The bets are placed. I'm ready.

Listening to: 'BIG BALLS' from 'Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap' by 'AC/DC' on Media Center 10

and...

Listening to: 'Too Many Balls' from 'Live from Camp X-Ray' by 'Rocket From The Crypt' on Media Center 10

Cmagic

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2004, 05:19:04 am »

Wow !!

Looks like things have really started now !

Stiil confident in your bets ? :)

C.  
Bob Marley (War)

pank2002

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2004, 05:45:50 am »

Tonight, Itally's gonna get wiped by denmark tonight. watch out
Music is life... the rest is details.
Here is a security related website: secubi.dk

Penfold

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Lunchlady Doris, have ye got ony grease?
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2004, 05:57:12 am »

Enjoyed watching the English thrash the French last night I must say! hur-hur

jleerigby

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2004, 07:36:45 am »

This is not a time for gloating.  It's a day of mourning in England.  We were well and truly mugged.  Given that the French are supposed to be the best team in the world I would think they are feeling very relieved and perhaps somewhat lucky at the way in which they won this game.  England deserved to win.  Despite France's posession they hardly troubled the English goalkeeper until injury time.

England come out of this game with initial disappointment followed by the knowledge that they have what it takes to beat the best team in the world.  In Wayne Rooney they have a player who will be the star of the competition.  You should not rule out the possibility of England winning the tournament.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2004, 11:48:15 am »

The game really was just another proof that Beckham isn't the most talked about player in the world because of his playing skills...

lee269

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2004, 01:18:40 pm »

Enjoyed watching the English thrash the French last night I must say! hur-hur

Well I set myself up for that didnt I? However, there are straws to clutch at - the performance was good even in defeat. We defended well and I dont remember France having a shot on goal. Its difficult to begrudge Zidane his goal because he is a certified genius. It is easy to begrudge Eriksson for bringing Heskey on though because he is a certified liability.

Roll on Switzerland - we are going to thrash them! :)

TAFKAFEX

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2004, 03:56:18 pm »

...Roll on Switzerland - we are going to thrash them! :)

If not, they should change to ... let's say golf?  :P

jleerigby

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2004, 05:06:23 pm »

Roll on Switzerland - we are going to thrash them!

Of course I agree with you Lee but I really wish you hadn't said that.

TAFKAFEX

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2004, 06:39:17 pm »

I don't see any chance for Switzerland, but nevertheless:

Champions League 02/03:

14.08.02: Celtic Glasgow - Basle         3:0
28.08.02: Basle - Celtic Glasgow         2:0    - Bye Celtic.
25.09.02: Liverpool - Basle                  1:1
11.12.02: Basle - Liverpool                  3:3    - Bye Liverpool.
26.11.02: Basle - Manchester United   1:3
03.12.02: Manchester United - Basle   1:1    - Bye Basle.

So...

Rands

• Galactic Citizen
  • How am I supposed to enjoy this with you crying?
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2004, 07:23:13 pm »

Guess I should start paying attention to this.  I just got into football last year and followed the EPL.  Too bad that, in the States, it's practically impossible to catch any game live and so I have to tiptoe around the web to make sure I don't have results ruined for me if I want to maintain suspense.  

At this point, I know absolutely nothing about football teams outside of the EPL.  Time to learn!
Toast goes in the toaster.

JollyJim

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2004, 09:29:27 pm »

The truth is that England will never win anything 'cos they don't have a winning attitude. It does'nt matter how well we defended, how useless Beckham is when ya really need him....I mean, missing a penalty at that level is just totally unforgivable. Does'nt matter how many or how few shots France had on goal, does'nt matter about the referee, the weather, does'nt matter about anything except getting the ball in the goal several times....we ain't gonna do it. The only 'winning' player we had was Rooney and they took him off. Sorry to say this chaps, but ya know it's the truth.....and don't bet too heavily on us beating Switzerland 'cos ya never know with this lot.

jleerigby

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2004, 02:12:33 am »

The truth is that England will never win anything 'cos they don't have a winning attitude. It does'nt matter how well we defended, how useless Beckham is when ya really need him....I mean, missing a penalty at that level is just totally unforgivable. Does'nt matter how many or how few shots France had on goal, does'nt matter about the referee, the weather, does'nt matter about anything except getting the ball in the goal several times....we ain't gonna do it. The only 'winning' player we had was Rooney and they took him off. Sorry to say this chaps, but ya know it's the truth.....and don't bet too heavily on us beating Switzerland 'cos ya never know with this lot.

Thanks JollyJim for reminding us all what a typical English attitude sounds like.  Thankfully there are still some of us left who are will give praise, have hope and stand by our team until the end.

IanG

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2004, 02:58:29 am »

how useless Beckham is when ya really need him....I mean, missing a penalty at that level is just totally unforgivable.

Some of us still remember that goal against Greece!  And saving a goal at that level requires rare skill, which Bartez has.

Ian G.

jleerigby

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2004, 03:07:37 am »

how useless Beckham is when ya really need him....I mean, missing a penalty at that level is just totally unforgivable.

Some of us still remember that goal against Greece!  And saving a goal at that level requires rare skill, which Bartez has.

Ian G.

I was there, right behind the goal.  This is the only England game I've ever been to.  That moment will stay with me for the rest of my life.  I remember it as if it were yesterday.

JollyJim

• World Citizen
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2004, 05:07:03 am »

JLee - 'Thanks JollyJim for reminding us all what a typical English attitude sounds like.  Thankfully there are still some of us left who are will give praise, have hope and stand by our team until the end.'  

I'm not sure what you mean by 'typical English attitude'.... I'm just trying to be realistic. I'd love to see them win but all the excuses in the world won't help. Name one other national squad that could have lost the game in injury time. As far as the penalty goes, a correctly struck and aimed ball from the spot is physically impossible for a keeper to stop and I would expect someone of Beckham's capabilities to be able to do that. It's his job, it's what he gets paid an inordinate amount of money for. As an opinion, he should'nt have taken the penalty as he and Bartez played together for a long long time and Bartez would have had a good idea as to Beckham's intention.

I guess you think I'm being 'negative'.....I gave up on negative/positive/glass half empty/full stuff years ago and just try to be realistic which seems to be an unacceptable attitude these days.

Like you, I'll keep on watching them and hoping but, much as I'd like to be proved wrong, I don't think they'll achieve anything.....I don't have any confidence that they'll even beat the Swiss

Best wishes...Ji8m

Cmagic

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2004, 05:46:40 am »

Dear english friends,

Don't worry. You know I remember a time where the french team was always losing. Sometimes at the last minutes with a bitter feeling of injustice (Germany - France semi-final World cup '82).  Also, remember the pitiful performance of the french team in Corea '02.
Now for the game against England last sunday the french team was lucky. England played well, and Rooney was very good. I think Beck did shot a good penalty, Barthez was just luckier.
That's the way it goes with football.
Anyway, my feeling is that we will meet again at the final. Wouldn't that be nice ? :)

I would also like to point out the great sense of fairplay of the english folks after the result of the game. Merci messieurs les anglais !

In any case, although an interesting game, football is nothing compared with rugby, isn't it ?

C U at the final :)

Christian
Bob Marley (War)

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2004, 07:23:09 am »

But we must also give credit to Denmark, who managed a draw with Italy (supposedly one of the world's best teams, with one of the world's worst crybabies as a captain) and especially Sweden, who annihilated Bulgaria 5-0! That was an impressive game! Swedes and norwegians are old rivals and have a love-hate relationship, but even I have to acknowledge that one...

jleerigby

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2004, 07:25:29 am »

Nice words Christian.  You are a perfect gentleman.  Thanks.  

I think your reading of the game is very fair.  I think France played well but, until the last few minutes England's defense was excellant.  

It's just a shame that it's an English trait (not all of us) to be negative and always quick to criticise those who are trying their hardest to do the best for their country.  England's performance against France, who really are an awesome sided, will have won them a lot of respect around the world.  I have not heard a single 'football expert' criticise England's performance.  Like you said, that's just the way it goes with football sometimes.

Rugby is a great game but there is no game in the world that can unite people and excite passion like football does.  Even Americans are beginning to realise that now.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2004, 08:38:11 am »

...there is no game in the world that can unite people and excite passion like football does.  Even Americans are beginning to realise that now.

One would have thought they would have noticed it during the '94 world cup on home turf.

But baseball, American football, basketball & hockey rule the roost. Why is that ?

My guess is they can all be interrupted at regular short intervals by corporate advertising. Try doing that with footie and you lose the flow. This is the biggest obstacle to football getting traction in the US.  No ads, no money, no media interest. Why limit ad revenue to player's jerseys only when you can have much more.  And for an international tournament you dont even have that. Football can't compete on these terms with the american ones.

The exception here is that the US won the women's world cup. So if the women like it i suppose the men will follow :) They do play a lot as kids, but as adults, the money is in the other american games.

The other differences are (that i can tell), in no American Game will a team be penalised by playing one (or more) player/s down (as a result of a red card). If a player gets sent off, there is a sub waiting on the benches. In American football there are lots more subs due to the dangerous nature of that game.

The closest one can come to football passion is ice-hockey, the players tend to beat each other up rather than the fans ;)

Ona side note i could never understand why the Americans call their version of the game football, they handle the ball with their hands, push & shove and then kick. Football is played with one's feet, foot and ball, no hands allowed (cept for the out) that's why they call it football.

(
* hit_ny starts a little flame fest LOL)

Deivit

« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2004, 10:30:50 am »

Well... don't take it too seriously guys. Try to enjoy the games.

Actually, you know what they say... football is that game in which 22
guys chase a ball around for 90 minutes... and then the Germans win  >:(

By the way... nice game tonight... Holland vs Germany 08:45 PM CET

Enjoy!

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2004, 01:08:05 pm »

Even though I hate to spoil my very nice message count (hint: this is my message number 667...  8) ) I have to ask: That quote about the germans, was that George Best? I actually thought about that qoute earlier today, when norwegian radio had a segment about the "hate match" today. I always thought that England - Germany was the big hate match, but I guess the germans still have a grudge against the flat land people for kicking them out of the WC (no, not  the toilet, the world championship, dummies!  ;D).

Deivit

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2004, 01:25:33 pm »

... football is that game in which 22 guys chase a ball around for 90 minutes... and then the Germans win  >:(

That quote about the germans, was that George Best?

Actually, I think it's Gary Lineker's... someone correct me if I'm wrong

Cmagic

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2004, 02:07:06 pm »

That's right David, that quote is attributed to Gary Lineker.

NL:0 - D:0 at this very moment !

C.
Bob Marley (War)

Berto

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2004, 04:39:06 pm »

Holland beats Sweden in the quarter final and will meet Portugal in the semi final next wednesday.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2004, 05:06:54 pm »

Should say Holland scrape thorugh to semi-finals after winning on penalties...given they have been elliminated in a similar way in at least 4 prior tournaments, this is a LUCKY win.

i'm hoping for a czech vs holland final...will holland lose to them again ? ..(like in the qualifiers)

..given the upsets so far, its hard to predict who will be in the finals let alone win it.

Berto

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2004, 05:19:56 pm »

Should say Holland scrape thorugh to semi-finals after winning on penalties...given they have been elliminated in a similar way in at least 4 prior tournaments, this is a LUCKY win.

Finally we got loose of that bad reputation!!

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2004, 04:27:59 pm »

Finally we got loose of that bad reputation!!

Got the money of their back....i hear you.

But the Dutch have a very good team, they dont have to play defensively.

I would prefer to see them play attacking football like the Czechs just did against the Danes.

cattani

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Come to Black Sea !!! Constanta !!!
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2004, 05:11:36 pm »

Cehia Rules !!!

semifinal:

Portugal - Olanda
Greek     - Cehia

I think Cehia win the tournements !!!
Fii optimist si asteapta imposibilul !!!

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2004, 06:24:55 pm »

if by cehia you mean the czechs....i agree...

they have played fabulously so far. Won every single match !!!!!!

Why leave it all to chance for penalties or silver/golden goals, wipe out the opposition in 90 mts. Thats the way.

...it might well be time for a change in the old guard !

lee269

« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2004, 01:18:48 pm »

Well, since Englands shocking demise in this tournament, Im supporting the Czechs. Best, most attacking team Ive seen so far.

A replay of the Czech-Holland game for the final would be nice. That was the best game Ive seen in quite a while.

TAFKAFEX

« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2004, 01:55:48 pm »

... wipe out the opposition in 90 mts. Thats the way.

Yup. And don't bash the referee. Or his ex-wife. Or his new girl-friend.
Bad loosers.
And not 'very british'... ;).

lee269

« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2004, 02:06:19 pm »

Yup. And don't bash the referee. Or his ex-wife. Or his new girl-friend.
Bad loosers.
And not 'very british'...

Indeed. Im glad I didnt bash the referee.

TAFKAFEX

« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2004, 02:16:19 pm »

Glad to hear someone who don't reads the 'Sun'.

Or was it 'knocking', 'batting', 'slat', 'beating' or 'palpitation'?

Or in one single word: 'unfair'?

Even http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2004300013,00.html today (not on the front page, off course ;D)

PeterS

« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2004, 03:46:10 pm »

Dodgy ref. Many, many other calls went against England that day.
I am not codoning the personality assassination against this guy by some of the English media, but lots of people, myself included, thought he ruined the game. Yes, England were poor and their tactics predictably cynical after going a goal up, but I thought they did enough.  Talk about home cooking.  ;D

lee269

« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2004, 03:50:00 pm »

Tafka, I couldnt get your link to work. Im not a Sun reader, but I can guess what it said.

England supporters have a record of bad behaviour that it is taking many years to live down. Thankfully there was no such violence this time AFAIK apart from the murder of an England fan in Lisbon, in a non-football related incident.

Our (tabloid) newspapers are depressingly quick to pick on a scapegoat for our exit from major tournaments. Whilst I was screaming 'goal' when the disallowed one went in, the same as everyone else in the country, the fact remains that if we try and defend for 87 mins we dont deserve to win.

Other countries newspapers are equally scathing - I saw what the Italian papers said about their teams exit, the Sweden-Denmark game, and their exit from the 2002 World Cup. I also heard about the Dutch newspapers schadenfreude about the German exit.

Englands fans have a reputation that we deserved for a long time, and are now having to work off. The sight of the enormous, good-natured, English presence at the games, and the absence of problems was another step forward.

I still reckon it was a goal though :)

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2004, 06:08:37 pm »

Englands fans have a reputation that we deserved for a long time, and are now having to work off. The sight of the enormous, good-natured, English presence at the games, and the absence of problems was another step forward.

Prolly OT, but i think fans with a past record of causing trouble are barred from travelling to matches abroad. Can anyone confirm that ?

I this helps a great deal in keeping troublemakers out....

the fact remains that if we try and defend for 87 mins we dont deserve to win.

...after scoring so early, its quite bewildering they chose to play in such a manner. I am dissapointed that England is out, i had high hopes of them actually winning the tournament.

Sauzee

« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2004, 12:27:32 am »

I got given a nice t-shirt the other day.  It said;

Scotland, Undefeated at Euro 2004.

;D ;D ;D

dedidio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2004, 07:38:16 am »

Prolly OT, but i think fans with a past record of causing trouble are barred from travelling to matches abroad. Can anyone confirm that ?

This is true - there is quite a large operation goes on every time there are big matches abroad which stop know trouble makers from getting to the matches.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_yorkshire/3841301.stm This mentions how banned fans have to show up at their local police station on match days.

Us brits have not been as well behaved as you believe though:  http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/3821165.stm

The trouble makers are the minority though.  Most fans are just out to have a good time watching the game they love.

((P.S.  It was a goal, the ref needs glasses!))   ;)
http://www.theindependentstate.co.uk - Where everyone is as bored as you.

PeterS

« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2004, 10:05:11 am »

Fairytale ending for the Greeks!
Congratulations to Greece on winning Euro 2004 against all odds.
Sorry Ronaldo. Maybe next time.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up