INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: what is "illegal mode for this track?"  (Read 2143 times)

azdood

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
what is "illegal mode for this track?"
« on: July 31, 2004, 12:02:39 am »

I have tried every setting and every form of encoding MC has to offer and I still keep getting the message "illegal mode for this track" when I try to burn a CD.  I have checked all my "rights" options and feel that they are right.  I stood on my head while burning.  I got naked before I burned.  Nothing helped.  I could really use your input on this.  It's driving me crazy!  Out of around 40 attempted burns, I had success with only two.  I'm including my system info in hopes that it will give you a clue to what's wrong.  Thanks.

Media Center Registered 10.0.149 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows Me
Intel Pentium III 929 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 130 MB, Free - 0 MB
Resource Info: System - 46 %, GDI - 56 %, User - 46 %

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 / Shell32.dll: 5.50.4134.100 / wnaspi32.dll: 2, 0, 0, 0 , ASPI for WIN32 DLL, Copyright © Adaptec 1995 / Aspi32.sys: N/A

Ripping /   Drive D: LG      CD-RW CED-8080B   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive D: LG       CD-RW CED-8080B    Addr: 0:0:0  Speed:8  MaxSpeed:8  BurnProof:No
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: Yes /  Normalization: None
We are all bozos on this bus...

modelmaker

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:what is "illegal mode for this track?"
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2004, 10:10:14 am »

bump.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

Wile E. One

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2004, 02:45:27 pm »

Memory: Total - 130 MB, Free - 0 MB

I don't know exactly what the problem is... but this is never a good thing. Especially when trying to do intensive things like burning a CD on a non-burnproof drive.

Have you tried burning at a very slow speed... like 1x or 2x?
Now isn't this just typical of whereever this is?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2004, 03:23:41 pm »

wnaspi32.dll: 2, 0, 0, 0 , ASPI for WIN32 DLL, Copyright © Adaptec 1995 / Aspi32.sys: N/A

You have too old ASPI driver and a part of it is missing (Aspi32.sys). I am not sure if it is important with MC10 (It was with MJ). Install a new ASPI driver from here:
http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/driverdetail.jsp?sess=no&language=English+US&cat=/Product/ASPI-4.70&filekey=aspi_471a2.exe

Anyway I am now quite sure that your problem is not connected to DRM. "Illegal mode for this track" could be an error message from the burning engine. Are you burning audio CDs? What format are the music files on the hard disk?  Could you tell exactly what you do? Step by step.

If you use a CDRW disk for testing it is not wasted.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2004, 04:26:12 pm »

Intel Pentium III 929 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 130 MB, Free - 0 MB
I just noticed this one too. You must always have some free memory. Close all other programs you may have running. 130 MB is not very much, though it should be just enough with Windows ME. 256 MB would be better.

How about your hard drive? Is there enough space for temporally files?

Burning /  Drive D: LG      CD-RW CED-8080B
Your CD-RW drive is rather old. They are not everlasting. I have to change mine about every two or three years, because they become unreliable. Is your drive working with other software?

Use playback settings: Yes
This could be off, especially if you have troubles with burning.
Go to: Tools -> Options -> CD Writer -> Tick off "Apply cross-fade and DSP effects to the CD".
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

azdood

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2004, 08:47:22 pm »

Wow.  Lots of great advice.  Thanks Alex and Wile E. One too.  I following all you advice.  I downloaded the ASPI driver and took the cross-fade and DSP effects off the burning process.  Never thought of getting a CD-RW.  Good idea.  Duh.  

I have NO idea why my memory is so low.  I installed a free little program called RamBooster and hopefully that will fix it for now.  

I have lots of room on my hard drive (50% free) so that shouldn't be a problem.

I use the MP3 VBR format all the way around.

Remember, this all started with various .dll warnings  every time I tried to burn.  I'm still getting those as times, shortly before my program shuts down.

Are you familiar with a program called Dr. Hardware from Germany?  http://www.dr-hardware.com/ I downloaded that in hope I can find what's wrong with my computer.  I'm a little afraid to use it, there are so many warnings.  

If that doesn't work, I'm probably going to just get myself a new tower with all the bells and whistles I want and none of the problems I now have.

Thanks for the advice.  Much appreciated....

azdood

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2004, 11:37:30 pm »

After following all your suggestions, I burned another CD at 2X.

It was slow going but the CD came out perfect.

No "illegal" warnings and it didn't cause any errors in some dll strange file (with a shut-down of MC shortly thereafter).

The ram was a problem.  That little free program I downloaded, RamBooster, kept going to 0% and staying there so I manually optimized it during the burning process.

It's rather a slow, funky way to burn, but hey, it worked!!!  I'm closer to a solution than I've ever been.

Thank you so much for your most excellent help!

azdood

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2004, 12:01:24 am »

Also, I decided again the Dr. Hardware.  Turns out I was looking at an old model, but even with the new one, as safe as it seems, I wouldn't know what to make of its findings.

I switched over to MemMax from AnalogX and it seems to be working very well.
http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/system/maxmem.htm

Thanks again.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2004, 01:38:26 am »

I switched over to MemMax from AnalogX and it seems to be working very well.
http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/system/maxmem.htm

Thanks again.

i tend to be partial to Cacheman

azdood

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2004, 01:52:26 am »

Thanks.  I'll check it out tonight.
Pages: [1]   Go Up