INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stupid networking question  (Read 2914 times)

bjsolem

• Galactic Citizen
Stupid networking question
« on: August 08, 2004, 10:55:58 pm »

Forgive me, I'm new to home networking....

If a get a tower pc to add to our wireless network, and throw a big ol' drive in it, there's no reason that I couldn't have pics on that pc's drive be part of my normal MC library on my laptop, right?

In other words I don't need to use the mc server or anything like that.  As long as both pc's are on the network and the tower's drive is shared, MC will treat the pics just like an external drive.

Just want to make sure before I lay out the cash.

Thanks in advance.

bebop

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:Stupid networking question
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2004, 11:14:10 pm »

Well, I checked out our home net, and everybody's stuff shows up on the tree under my computer, my network places, so you should be able to see the stuff in the folders  and it also show up when I look at file-library-import media.  

Robert Taylor

• Living in a Smokeless Zone...
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2004, 12:36:56 am »

Just make sure that your workgroup is the same for all machines om your LAN (ie I use "HOME" for all my machines).

Oh, and if you're using Windows XP, please don't be tempted to use their "Home Networking Wizard". If you do, you will be sorry. You have been warned!! (I speak from personal experience...)

Gimme a yell if you strike any difficulties, I have five machines networked at home, no sweat (4 X WinXP, 1 X Linux Firewall (Smoothwall).
Cheers
Rob

bjsolem

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2004, 07:29:47 am »

Thanks a lot.

I need to get around to buying the pc first.  But if it ididn't work with mc as I described above than there really wasn't any point.

Sounds like it'll work the way I want it to.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2004, 07:49:49 am »

Yes, it should work, but browsing is not going to be very fast if you have a typical wireless LAN and megapixel images. I would still use a wired 100 mbit LAN for image browsing/editing.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

bjsolem

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2004, 09:09:39 am »

I'm using wireless g and my router has wired ports as well.  Once I get a tower I'll experiment a bit.  If necessary I will use the tower as my main pc for pics.  The main thing is that my laptop is out of hard drive space, and we keep taking tons of pics.....

And no one wants the pictures to be completely 'off-line'.
Pages: [1]   Go Up