INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Analyze and normalize complete album  (Read 996 times)

chopdog

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Analyze and normalize complete album
« on: August 19, 2004, 12:42:43 am »

I just wanted to check - if I tick "normalize" during ripping, it does normalise the whole album to a common increase in levels, doesn't it. I won't end up with uneven volumes on tracks ?

Chris Shaw

• Galactic Citizen
Re:Analyze and normalize complete album
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2004, 02:49:04 am »

MC 10 doesn't but it was added to MC 11 a few builds ago. It's called "Album Gain" if you want to seach the forum for mentions

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2004, 03:46:17 am »

Analyzing and normalizing are different things.

Normalizing alters file data permanently. In theory normalizing also adds some noise, but probably you can't hear the difference.

Analyzing is safe, because it just measures volume and intensity levels. Volume leveling is done at the playback stage if you have Replay Gain enabled.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

chopdog

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2004, 05:32:53 am »

Thanks. Aware that they are different - hence the subject name. In other words, I would like to analyze and then normalize a complete album. I would like it to alter the file permanently. There is such a difference between CDs 15 years old and CDs of today, so far as volumes are concerned. I want to do this so they all sound good through my Squeezebox - a fabulous piece of kit - every home should have one. If Squeezebox had a plug in from MC10 or 11 which adjusted its volume based on the "Analyze Audio" results, then that - ideally - would be the result of the century (for me, at least, although I don't see why everyone wouldn't want it !)
Pages: [1]   Go Up