INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MJ8 Works on Linux (sort of) with Codeweaver  (Read 732 times)

mlmitton1

• Change this by choosing profile
MJ8 Works on Linux (sort of) with Codeweaver
« on: September 16, 2004, 08:25:03 pm »

The only program I miss from the Windows world is Media Jukebox.  So I tried to run it in regular Wine, and I got a message saying IE5 or better was required.  Then I downloaded a demo of Codeweavers version of Wine, which comes with a nifty interface.  I downloaded IE6 (which with Codeweavers is done with a simple click), and then installed MediaJukebox8.exe.  The only trick I needed was that I did an "install" on that file, which then creates a file called "InstallWizard.exe", so I reran Codeweavers, installing that file.

And, in Suse 9.1, I automatically had an entry for MJ8 in my start menu, it opened up readily, I imported all my files (~8000), and they seem to play just fine.  Though it hasn't crashed on me yet, it is a bit buggy--there's an occasional box letting me know about an error that I have to click on, and I can't get anything involving the CD drive (ripping, burning) to work.  But as a player, it works just fine.

BUT OF COURSE--I will not be using MJ8 like this.  (I just couldn't find anyone talking about a Wine success on these boards, so I thought I'd share).  I was curious to see if it would work, and it sort of does, but hardly well enough to replace native Linux media players.  So, we still need a LINUX PORT!

(I know JimH--there are currently no plans...But still...Don't be afraid of MusicMatch's experience, they pulled their player in 2000, and the Linux landscape is completely different now.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up