INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: aTagger v1.2.0 Beta is available <<-- New version 9/29/04  (Read 21292 times)

@l@n

• World Citizen
  • bla bla bla, bla bla bla bla
aTagger v1.2.0 Beta is available <<-- New version 9/29/04
« on: September 30, 2004, 12:08:34 am »

aTagger v1.2.0 Beta is finally available for download at http://atagger.auldridge.biz/downloads/atagger_1_2_0.exe.

The list of updates/enhancements for v1.2.0 Beta are:
  • Process new online source format.  Data for an Artists's Instruments and Labels is no longer available.
  • Update the user interface of aTagger so that it is useable on a monitor set to 800x600 resolution [DougHamm]
  • If fields don't exist in the database, pop up a warning BEFORE running the entire search, rather than an error in the log at the end of it.  [enigman]
  • Fixed compare bug that would allow "Då & nu 1991-1996" to match "D.A.". [Jonas]
  • Numerous small cosmetic and processing enhancements that aren't worth mentioning
I successfully tested a couple of thousand songs using several of the different aTagger options.  I'm sure that there are still a few bugs (as well as several features) that I'll be fixing over the next few weeks.

I do have a bit of bad news...  After processing approximately 2000 songs over the last 3 days, I began getting massive errors (processing of every single file was in error).  Upon investigation, I was receiving an HTML file with the following text:

Through traffic monitoring of our websites we have identified your IP address accessing xxxxxxxx.com at a rate and speed inconsistent with the noncommercial and personal use permitted by our site's Terms of Service. As a result, further access to xxxxxxxx.com has been denied. Because IP addresses can be shared by numerous users, your access may be being denied based on the aggregate use of your IP address rather than your own individual use. To ensure that this is not the case, simply create your own individual user account by becoming a Registered Member of xxxxxxxx. [Click on the “Register” button in the upper right hand corner of the home page.] Once you’ve become a Registered Member and are logged in, you will once again have full access to xxxxxxxx, and will continue to have access, as long as your usage remains consistent with our Terms of Service. If you are already a Registered Member of xxxxxxxx, simply ensure that you are logged in when you use the site. Thank you.

I am not currently and do not plan to become a registered user of this website.  The "Terms of Service" that you are required to agree to during registration (so as to get additional functionality) forbids the use of tools like aTagger.  If you have registered with this website, you will be breaking their "Terms of Service" by using aTagger.

A positive note...  in less than half an hour of receiving this message, aTagger began working again using the same IP address.  

As always, please let me know about any problems that you encounter.

Enjoy...  @l@n

The following is a summary of the errors (and responses) reported through Reply #32:
  • The Review field gets filled with the review but it's truncated and ends with "Read More..."  [udeups]  I'll fix this ASAP
  • Look up the bios for artists on multiple artist albums  [udeups]  I don't plan to do this (at this time) as it would cause even more traffic on the data provider
  • Option to select from a list of albums when several albums are found with the same name  [cascius]  I've started working on this option but It wont be completed any time soon
  • When processing a various artist album, atagger renamed every artist to be the first one in the list. This is after turning on artist and album renaming with interactive processing of course.  [udeups]  I'll fix this ASAP
  • The plugin seems to only get the tones information sporadically  [udeups]  I'll fix this ASAP
  • Group Members info isn't populated in AKA / Members field  [Neville]  I'll fix this ASAP
  • Save the settings between sessions  [imjustagamer]  This gets requested a lot -- the Save button on the bottom right corner of all option screens will save the settings
  • Does aTagger not work with MC11?  [iCamp]  I don't know, I have only tested it with MC10 (so far)
  • Select where to save the cover art  [Cocophone]  I'm working on this option, it should be available in the next few days
  • Limit the speed of aTagger (to slow it down so that it doesn't extract data at a rate and speed that will cause access to the data source to be denied)  [Cocophone]  I'll work on this for the next release
Download the aLyrics plug-in at http://aLyrics.auldridge.biz

@l@n

• World Citizen
Re:aTagger v1.2.0 Beta is available <<-- New version 9/29/04
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2004, 12:32:42 am »

I locked the old v1.1.3 thread and copied over a message from udeups...

Hi @l@n. Great work on the new version. One initial comment. The Review field gets filled with the review but it's truncated and ends with "Read More..."

Thanks for all your work. Looks great.

gbdesai

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2004, 01:07:51 am »

Wooooohoooooooo!  This sucks that I am out of town, wait, I can remote desktop into my home and try it out now!  Thanks @l@n!!!

cascius

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2004, 02:14:41 am »

Well, I'm playing around with it right now and it works pretty well so far. It's been finding the info abour 1/2-2/3 of the music i fed it. :D

I'm sure you have better bigger things to do now that it's finally released but there are two things I'd like to ask though:
- Some of my files have incomplete/slightly different album names than the ones on AllMusic.com. (same goes with track name/number) What would you guys recommend as the most efficient way to get those right?
- Something I hate, which isn't atagger fault, is the fact that album dates have nothing to do with the actual time period of the songs but rather the release date of the CD itself. I know that through XXXXXXX you can actually find out when a track was first released by clicking on it in the track list. Is that a feature that could be included in a future release? That would be real quick ass! I hate to have a best-of of let's say Elvis come up with the year 1998... U know what I mean...  ;)

Anyway, thank you so much for the great efforts you've put in releasing this new version, even though you were having to deal with the hurricanes down in Florida.

-Cascius

udeups

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2004, 02:19:17 am »

Would it be possible to have the plugin look up the bios for artists on multiple artist albums? Right now, even if it finds the album, the bios of the individual artists are not updated.

It would also be nice if it looked up the bio regardless of whether it found the album or not. It would be cool if this could fill the shoes of King Sparta's Artist Bio Finder plugin in that respect...

cascius

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2004, 02:25:13 am »

Argh! I hate to bring up another issue but here we go:

I was having problems with the album name "Pulp Fiction - Original Soundtrack"
So I looked it up on "a site" and found that the correct name was "Pulp Fiction"
So I replaced it and tried atagger again. Now here's the problem:
It found another album also called "Pulp Fiction" by a "Mr. Trip One"; and there was no option to select any other albums with the same name.
I think it comes from the fact that the artist can be marked as "Various Artists" for the album...

Oh well, just wanted to throw that on the table.

-Cascius

udeups

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2004, 02:29:27 am »

Another issue. I've got a various artist album and when processed, atagger renamed every artist to be the first one in the list. This is after turning on artist and album renaming with interactive processing of course.

Also, the plugin seems to only get the tones information sporadically. Even when the Tones/Moods data exists for a given album, the plugin doesn't show it in the line as it's tagging... Not sure what the criteria is for this to happen, but it happens consistently on certain albums and not others for me. Not terribly helpful, I know, but thought I'd mention it anyway...

Neville

• World Citizen
  • I am the black crow king...
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2004, 02:41:20 am »

Thanks for plugin.
It seems that Group Members info isn't populated in AKA / Members filed.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2004, 03:16:39 am »

First time using aTagger but I can't get it to work.  The plugin recognizes the album, I then hit start, it then prduces a report telling me it could not find the artist album.

Any help would be appreciated.
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

cascius

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2004, 03:29:31 am »

Yes I had that problem too. Here's what i did that fixed the problem:
Stop MC
Reinstall atagger
Start MC

And that fixed it... lol

Good luck,

-Cascius

:::::::::EDIT:::::::::
Here's another reason why:
Do not sign in to your "you know what" account or you won't be able to find any results.
This just happened to me and signing out fixed the problem.

LonWar

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2004, 07:16:40 am »

Hi Allan,
    Thanks very much for this update... It saves everyone a ton of time....

Request.. Is there a way that we can save the settings between sessions? I think that the other version had this...

Amazing Plug man,,,,, Thanks
-

iCamp

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2004, 10:06:30 am »

Does aTagger not work with MC11?  Using MC11 when I click on aTagger under plug-ins in the tree I get the following error message:
"Interface plug-in aTagger could not be found or created"

Cocophone

• Recent member
  • I might be a porcupine.
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2004, 11:16:19 am »

I didn't see were you select where to save the cover art.

Thanks for fixing aTagger.

bobe4

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2004, 12:21:41 pm »

I'm getting this error a lot, any help out there?

Processing artist: Bauhaus  album artist: Bauhaus  album: 1979_1983: Volume One  track #: 1  song: Double Dare
    *ERROR*: Blank Artist and/or Album found.
    aTagger Status: Processing Error

gbdesai

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2004, 01:01:06 pm »

That just means it can't find your album.  Sometimes it helps on albums that remain unresolved to go look at AMG to find how they spell the artist and album name, then fix your tags to match so aTagger can find it more easily.  for this album try:

Artist: Bauhaus
Album:  1979-1983: Volume One

And then rerun aTagger and see if it works better.

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2004, 01:36:20 pm »

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Just noticed something when I tried to go to the AMG site
(I am not logged in and did not try to log in):

Through traffic monitoring of our websites we have identified your IP address accessing allmusic.com at a rate and speed inconsistent with the noncommercial and personal use permitted by our site's Terms of Service. As a result, further access to allmusic.com has been denied. Because IP addresses can be shared by numerous users, your access may be being denied based on the aggregate use of your IP address rather than your own individual use. To ensure that this is not the case, simply create your own individual user account by becoming a Registered Member of allmusic. [Click on the “Register” button in the upper right hand corner of the home page.] Once you’ve become a Registered Member and are logged in, you will once again have full access to allmusic, and will continue to have access, as long as your usage remains consistent with our Terms of Service. If you are already a Registered Member of allmusic, simply ensure that you are logged in when you use the site. Thank you.

. .  . . and then I noticed I had not been getting any data since many files age   :(

Do we need to limit our access rate? NetLimiter perhaps?   ?
. . . the game is rigged

cascius

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2004, 01:44:04 pm »

Hi Allan,

Request.. Is there a way that we can save the settings between sessions? I think that the other version had this...

Sup man?

Just look at the bottom right corner in the settings nad you will find the cute little "save" button. :D

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2004, 02:00:19 pm »

I still can't get it to work. Not registered to the site and I tried reinstalling. I am using MC 10 default pluigin settings.  After I press start, MC pauses for about 40 seconds then returns the error that it could not find the Artist Album.  I have tried it on several different albums to be sure and no luck.

Not sure what else to try?

"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

Cocophone

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2004, 02:03:48 pm »

Would it be possible to have a way to limit the speed of aTagger?

I would rather it go slow and not upset Allmusic.

Like the saying: "Pigs can slip under the fence, but Hogs get slaughtered"

Thanks.

AoXoMoXoA

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2004, 02:41:16 pm »

I tried to throttle it with NetLimiter but didn't use the right finesse, it worked for a bit but then I got a NteFramework error and aTagger crashed MC (or visa-versa)  :P

Oh well . . . I will just spoon feed it an album at a time until I get done or there is a solution. Still beats the option of manual look-ups and hand-tagging>  ;)
. . . the game is rigged

cascius

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2004, 03:00:57 pm »

Ok, here's a trick:
1. Add the tag astatus to you tag library.
2. Start attaging some of your music
3. Create a smartlist for AUDIO that doesn't include astatus of value "succesful"
4. Add a limit to the number of songs in that playlist.
5. Change settings in atagger to get the list of songs from that smartlist

Hope this helps,

-Cascius

matshif

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2004, 03:14:45 pm »

Can you use aTagger with MC 11?

paulr

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2004, 03:16:13 pm »

I am using it with MC11.  It works, but it has crashed MC a couple of times.  I haven't tracked down what triggers a crash yet.

matshif

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2004, 03:18:13 pm »

Thanks paulr

cascius

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2004, 03:24:22 pm »

There seems to be 1 common denominator to the few crashes I have had: some sort of fail to write to file/tags.

I've done the 3 following things and it seems to have fixed 99% of the crashes:
- i had a couple corrupted mp3s with which MC wouldn't see the length of the track. I removed them.
- I went to my music folder and made sure all files weren't read only.
- do not look up track info of a track while it's playing. atagger won't be able to save the changes and will crash as well.

Since then MC has only crashed ounce, because i was playing a file and trying to update it at the same time.

-Cascius

matshif

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2004, 03:35:01 pm »

- I went to my music folder and made sure all files weren't read only.

Can you explain how I can see when a file is read only?

Marra

• World Citizen
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2004, 03:53:38 pm »

I've just discovered this great plug-in using MC11.
I have one request.  I have already a field I use for sub-genres. I  wish this to be incorporated with the styles that aTagger finds.  The problem is :
a) I can't copy one field to the other using MC because it replaces the existing list.
b) if I copy sub-genres over to styles before aTagging, aTagger replaces rather than appends to this list.

Any thoughts how best to combine these fields.

Thanks.

cascius

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2004, 03:55:57 pm »

Sure Matshif:

Right click on a file and choose properties. In the new window that will appear there will be a check box with "Read Only" next to it.

To batch change an entire folder (with subfolders) into not Read Only, simply right click on that folder, properties, and uncheck "Read Only"

Hope this clarifies how to do it.

-Cas

matshif

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2004, 04:07:30 pm »

Hope this clarifies how to do it.

It sure does, thanks!

pipsqueak

• "Actually, it's elementary, my dear Dawson!"
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2004, 04:15:49 pm »

yet to try it out...have my media pc in parts on the floor at the mo' as i install a new mobo/cpu/vga card, but am looking forward to it later today / tomorrow...

may need to call in sick so i can sit around and play with my new machine!

anyway, thanks alan for finishing this for us

pip

zeltak

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2004, 04:20:44 pm »

amazing amzing program alan! it will save me litrely hours and hours of work (i have 40,00 mp3 files that one early ver of MC change all the date tags to 2004  :-[). its still a bit shaky and crashed here and there but its a life saver for me. thx alot again!!!!!!!!!!

Zeltak  ;D

LonWar

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2004, 04:25:48 pm »

Hi Allan,

Sup man?

Just look at the bottom right corner in the settings nad you will find the cute little "save" button. :D

That's what I get for NOT wearing my glassess.... THanks for pointing it out!!
-

LonWar

« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2004, 04:26:57 pm »

Does aTagger not work with MC11?  Using MC11 when I click on aTagger under plug-ins in the tree I get the following error message:
"Interface plug-in aTagger could not be found or created"

It works with 11... Try uninstalling and reinstalling atagger
-

bobe4

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2004, 01:10:35 pm »

I'm still having the problem of getting the error: Can't find artist & album.

I tried the advice above of uninstalling it, reinstalling it.  I also tried multiple albums that were named correctly.  any advice??

also, for the albums that are misnamed, wouldn't this program rename the album to the right name?  If so, how.

by the way alan - thanks for making this - it will be great when I can get it to work!

bobe4

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2004, 02:04:03 pm »

Now I'm getting this error, but the artist name and album name in MC match allmusic exactly:

Processing artist: The Chameleons  album artist: The Chameleons  album: Strange Times  track #: 1  song: Mad Jack
    *ERROR*: Blank Artist and/or Album found.

Any help?

@l@n

• World Citizen
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2004, 02:24:09 pm »

Bobe4, I sent you a private message with steps to help me help you figure out what is going on.

--@l@n

Havana

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2004, 08:02:33 pm »

I cannot get aTagger to work (even with an unistall and reinstall).  Here's what happens:  I have an album in playing, album show's up in aTagger, hit Tag and I get the following message - The following library fields need to be created before the selected tags can be upated - styles, tones, type, etc.  If I highlight one song it starts to tag by itself, comes up with the tag info, but it will not allow me to click yes.  Any help would be awesome.  Thx.

@l@n

• World Citizen
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2004, 09:31:58 pm »

I cannot get aTagger to work (even with an unistall and reinstall).  Here's what happens:  I have an album in playing, album show's up in aTagger, hit Tag and I get the following message - The following library fields need to be created before the selected tags can be upated - styles, tones, type, etc.  If I highlight one song it starts to tag by itself, comes up with the tag info, but it will not allow me to click yes.  Any help would be awesome.  Thx.

Havana, what you need to do is add the library fields to your MD database so that aTagger has a place to store the tag information that you have configured aTagger to process.  The library fields that aTagger will attempt to populate are defined under the Tagging Options of the aTagger plugin.

To do this using MC10 (not the aTagger plugin):
  • select Tools | Options... | Tree & View
  • press the Add button
  • set Name to Styles and Data Type to List (semicolon delemited)
  • press the OK button to create the user defined library field
  • repeat the previous three steps for each of the user defined library fields that you have configured aTagger to use (for each of them minimally set the Name and Data Type values)
  • press the OK button to close the Options dialog
The instruction are the same or simular for MC9 and MC11.

Please let me know if this information helps.

Enjoy...  @l@n

Absurrrd

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2004, 09:50:04 am »

Greetings and Felicitations,
Now that aTagger is back and running or running for some ? it might be helpful to have a special troubleshooting thread and perhaps post additional setup instructions for folks havin problems using it. Isn't that a brilliant idea.  :P  It's better than watching the debates. Remember the good ole days when presidential candidates weren't so funny looking.  :-\
                                                           Chris

gbdesai

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2004, 10:04:21 am »

I did some tagging last night and this morning I get that message from AMG:

"Through traffic monitoring of our websites we have identified your IP address accessing allmusic.com at a rate and speed inconsistent with the noncommercial and personal use permitted by our site's Terms of Service. As a result, further access to allmusic.com has been denied. Because IP addresses can be shared by numerous users, your access may be being denied based on the aggregate use of your IP address rather than your own individual use. To ensure that this is not the case, simply create your own individual user account by becoming a Registered Member of allmusic. [Click on the “Register” button in the upper right hand corner of the home page.] Once you’ve become a Registered Member and are logged in, you will once again have full access to allmusic, and will continue to have access, as long as your usage remains consistent with our Terms of Service. If you are already a Registered Member of allmusic, simply ensure that you are logged in when you use the site. Thank you."

I don't know if they evaluate usage overnight or something because I was fine during tagging last night.  I've heard they have a 30 minute time out, I'll wait and see.  I understand the legal reasons that the "logged in" (registered) version of allmusic should not be used, but what is technically different that makes aTagger not work properly?

Gautam

cascius

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2004, 12:02:55 pm »

gbdesai, read the first post again :P

Cocophone

• Recent member
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2004, 12:15:51 pm »

Alan,

would it be possible for you to code in a Pause between songs or albums?

That might make aTagger not get a bad rap at allmusic.

==Cocophone==

Havana

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2004, 06:45:16 pm »

Thx @l@n for the help, but now I'm having a problem of another sort.  Everytime it processes an album, it cannot find it (this includes well known albums).  I've tried every setting in various combination to no avail.

gbdesai

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2004, 10:54:49 pm »

cascius,

I did read that post.  But I am experiencing the something more permanent.  It has been hours and hours since I accessed AMG but it still gives me the message.  I just wanted to know if others that got the message now eventually get back in.  I was just trying to figure out if AMG decided to make the IP address ban much longer.  

On the second note, I just was curious what the technical limitation of logging in is.  I know @l@n won't support it because of the license agreement, but what is actually different that makes it not work.

Gautam

LonWar

« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2004, 08:13:39 am »

I believe you they can bam your user ID for use that exceedes it's eula
-

pipsqueak

« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2004, 10:12:55 am »

hey alan - how does atagger sort the files?

i was midway through a bunch and it crashed, i now need a way just to add in the latter quarter, just cant figure the sorting though

pip

AoXoMoXoA

« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2004, 10:17:53 am »

It has been hours and hours since I accessed AMG but it still gives me the message.  I just wanted to know if others that got the message now eventually get back in.  

I have the same problem about the message from AMG.

If you have a Dynamic IP address you can disconnect from your ISP and log back on with a different IP (yes only a band-aid fix). In my case with DSL I need to reboot my DSL modem.

. . . the game is rigged

pipsqueak

« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2004, 10:35:19 am »

AoXoMoXoA

Ha! Thats EXACTLY what i've been doing. Not sure how a fisex ip owner would circumvent this though...

pip

Absurrrd

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2004, 02:38:44 pm »

Once the library fields have been added to MC, is there anything else that needs to be enabled   before the tag data can :-\ be saved ?

pipsqueak

« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2004, 02:51:45 pm »

Absurrrd  - nope
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up