INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Not bugs, but feedback  (Read 1490 times)

park

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I wish I had more to say!
Not bugs, but feedback
« on: October 11, 2004, 02:44:33 am »

Library Browser:
Excellent and intuitive way to visualise genres and artists but:

it should always start at root level (genre). For me it often starts at artist. the list is too long.
or it should be set to the genre, artist, and album of the album that's playing, so that you can continue on the same train of thought.

sorting should be remembered per filter. i rarely want to see my genres sorted by date, yet this is really useful at an album level.

ideally the sorting would be a series of icons in that top bar so that you could easily flick between them. I find myself changing them all the time, even within the same view.

Windowed View:
I really like that double clicking on an image or movie will send it to full screen view, and double clicking again will send you back to the library (not playing now). that's cool and useful for tagging images, but:

the way windowed view works feels really annoying. eg: I click windowed view and media center auto minimizes, so i click on it in the task bar but nothing happens. I have to physically close the windowed view to get media center back. that just feels wrong.

it also makes image tagging impossible. It would be really useful to have the window open over the library while clicking on images so that i could see them big while tagging them.
(i know that shift clicking "windowed view" achieves this, but it feels like hidden functionality.)

ideally the "image" display in windowed view should show whatever image is currently highlighted rather than going to slideshow, and if you add multiple images it assumes you want to see a slideshow.

Import
The ability to tell media center to write all library info onto the any tags if there is a difference would also be useful. I almost always want my file to reflect the info in media center and not the other way round.

Thanks,
Bri

park

• MC Beta Team
Re:Not bugs, but feedback
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2004, 02:00:21 pm »

and while I'm at it a couple of feature requests:

I have my views showing album thumbnails at 64x64 so that i can see as many albums at a time as poss. Then I click on individual albums with the "image" action window open to see the album art nice and big.
Please make it so that i dont have to keep navigating to the image action window every time i start MC. Have it remember which ones were open or at least an option to do so.

Sometimes I hear a song in playing now and i want to go to that album in the library. It'd be reeeeally cool if there were a button above the library which made all panes jump to the fields for the currently playing song. (Eg. the genre, album and artist and whatever other panes are visible would all auto highlight filtering everything to the album playing now).

What do you think?

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 07:14:28 am »

seems I'm on a roll. am I the only one that thinks these ideas are any good though,

How about this:

"quick find in cover art directory" doesnt try to match the exact name, but instead does it own best match and you can set it to loose or strict like with "get from internet". It's a pain having to add from file just because the tag has a question mark or something in it, but the jpg filename doesnt.

Cheers,
Bri

(I'll shut up now  :))

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 08:04:32 am »

... I really like that double clicking on an image or movie will send it to full screen view, and double clicking again will send you back to the library (not playing now). that's cool and useful for tagging images, but:

the way windowed view works feels really annoying. eg: I click windowed view and media center auto minimizes, so i click on it in the task bar but nothing happens. I have to physically close the windowed view to get media center back. that just feels wrong.

it also makes image tagging impossible. It would be really useful to have the window open over the library while clicking on images so that i could see them big while tagging them.
(i know that shift clicking "windowed view" achieves this, but it feels like hidden functionality.) ...

By adjusting options and windows in MC 10 you can get e.g. these views (and prevent MC from changing to minimized state):

In MC 11 you can also use the Split View and get a floating MC Display, Playing Now and Media Library visible at the same time.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2004, 09:30:49 am »

Very good point about the split views thing. I hadnt thought using it like that. (Actually i only just figured out how to use it. didnt know what control view 1 and 2 meant and so when ever i navigated the screen looked a mess. I had two library views up with all their panes and stuff. Until i realised what the control views did i figured it was buggy and still not working properly)

However, it still needs a lot of fiddling. Eg, I double click on a file (an image) and it goes to full screen. Useless for tagging. So I change, in options, to make it go to playing now if it has a display, but doing that means that when i double click on an image the actual library at the bottom goes to playing now so i end up with 2 playing nows visible.
So basically what i have to do is have the playing now in windowed mode and floated so that when i double click i can still see the library. Which makes split view pointless because the space that playing now it taking up is now redundant, and which also brings me back to my original post. It seems like a hack shift clicking to get this behaviour.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2004, 09:46:17 am »

I have in options:

Double-click: Replace playing now (Single)

Jump on Play: None

Start playing when files added to Playing Now: ticked

MC does not jump to the full screen display or away from the library view.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up