INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems Burning MP3 to DVD  (Read 3583 times)

Joe Karnes

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Problems Burning MP3 to DVD
« on: October 11, 2004, 04:35:20 pm »

When I try to burn MP3 files to DVD, regardless if it is 4 GB or 400 MB of data I get an indication that it is over capacity for the media.  I have selected Data CD or DVD and I am using Memorex DVD+R 8x 4.7 GB media on which I have no problem burning DVD movies with my DVD Cloner software.  I also have no problems using Media Center to  burn Audio or Data CD-Rs with various brands of blank media.  If anyone has any suggestions I would very much appreciate them.  Thank you very much,  Joe Karnes

Media Center Registered 10.0.173 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2998 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 151 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / wnaspi32.dll: 4.60 (1021) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-1999 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.60 (1021)

Ripping /   Drive F: ASUS    CD-S480/AH        Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive K: HP      DVD Writer 300c   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive K: HP       DVD Writer 300c    Addr: 3:0:0  Speed:16  MaxSpeed:16  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: Yes /  Normalization: None

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:Problems Burning MP3 to DVD
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 07:48:09 am »

Try burning in test mode and ignore the "over capacity" warning. Does it complete without errors? If so, try doing a real burn and see if it works ok. I'll have to look into why the capacity is not being figured correctly on that drive.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Joe Karnes

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 10:25:15 am »

Thank you for responding John T.  I changed my write speed to 4X and selected test mode.  I selected burn Data/DVD and dropped 1165 MP3 files which Media Center indicated at the bottom of the screen to be 4.3 GB.  The action window indicated 4445 MB - 4468 MB over capacity of your CD.  Would you like to continue?  Confrim Action, you have selected more music than will fit on the listed capacity of your CD.  Would you like to continue?  I checked yes and the test for write in started then I received a burn error message and the DVD ejected.

I then tried with another new blank DVD with 94 files which was 365.3 MB.  The action window indicated it was 93 files, 363 MB - 386 MB over capacity.  I received the same messages through out the burn attempt as I did on the first one and the test burn ended in error.

As I indicated in my inital post I am using the same DVD media that I have been using successfuly to burn
DVD movies with a different software called DVD Cloner.  We live in a very rurual area so if need be I will pick up a different brand of media the next time we get to the city if you think that might be a part of the problem.  Thank you again, Joe Karnes

Intel Pentium 4 2997 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 209 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) / wnaspi32.dll: 4.60 (1021) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-1999 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.60 (1021)

Ripping /   Drive F: ASUS    CD-S480/AH        Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive K: HP      DVD Writer 300c   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767

Burning /  Drive K: HP       DVD Writer 300c    Addr: 3:0:0  Speed:4  MaxSpeed:16  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: Yes /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes

Joe Karnes

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 05:03:02 pm »

I just tried twice to burn the same MP3 files I described in the reply above  to a TDK DVD+R 4x 4.7 GB media.  I got the same messages throughout the attempts and both ended in burn error.  As indicated in the help file, I disabled Windows XP burner and that has not helped either.  Thank you, Joe karnes

JohnT

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2004, 07:59:49 am »

MC is apparently getting bogus information from the DVD writer as to capacity and probably other parameters as well. Could you create a log file and email it to me?

Turn on MC's logging for CD burning by changing the value of this registry key from zero (0) to one (1):

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Center 11\CD Writer\Logger

Then just start up Media Center and try to burn a DVD (you can leave test mode checked to avoid creating a coaster). Then exit MC and find a file in the MC program directory called "cdwriter.log" and email that to me. Remember that the log file is overwritten each time you start up MC, so you must send the file before restarting MC. It's quite large so you may want to zip it before sending.

Thanks!
John T.
JRiver, Inc.
johnt @ jriver.com

Joe Karnes

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2004, 09:54:17 am »

John T., I attempted to do as you requested and this is what I found.

-Software
-JRiver
+CD Labeler
+Media Editor
+Media Jukebox
+Music Exchange

The registry key indicated below was not found.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Center 11\CD Writer\Logger

I notice the registry key you indicated refers to Media Center 11\CD Writer\Logger,  I have Media Center 10.0.173.

Thank you and please let me know what else I can do. Joe Karnes

Joe Karnes

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2004, 10:45:19 am »

John T, I may be looking in all the wrong places but I have been unable to find MC program directory file "cdwriter.log".  I have looked in C/Program Files/J River and I have ran a search with no results found.  Do I need to be patient and try to resolve this problem with MC 10 or should I try and upgrade to MC 11?  Since you requested I send you the files I am going to email you my last two replies to let you know what is going on.  Thank you Joe Karnes

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2004, 11:04:54 am »

MC 10 has the key here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JRiver\Media Jukebox\CD Writer\Logger
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Joe Karnes

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2004, 11:45:07 am »

Thank you Alex B., John T. emailed me the same information also and I did find the registry key and changed the value from zero to one.  I then tried another DVD burn and got the same error messages.  I am sorry I still do not know where or how to find and send the cdwriter.log file. Thank you, Joe Karnes

Joe Karnes

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2004, 02:01:21 pm »

I have now with a lot of help found the cdwriter.log file and emailed it to John T.  I then took the same 93 MP3 files I had been trying to burn to DVD and burned them successfully to a CD.  My burner is a combination CD-R\DVD+R.  Thank you, Joe Karnes

Joe Karnes

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2004, 09:10:01 am »

John T. did you receive the CDwriter.log file I emailed or do you need me to send you another one?  Thank you,  Joe Karnes

JohnT

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2004, 09:30:53 am »

John T. did you receive the CDwriter.log file I emailed or do you need me to send you another one?  Thank you,  Joe Karnes
I got it, thanks. I'll investigate later today and let you know what I find.

JohnT

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2004, 01:29:46 pm »

The log file is inconclusive as to what the problem is. The drive seems to respond ok until the writing begins and then simply returns generic write errors. Is it possible that the drive itself has gone bad? To test, try burning a DVD with another program, like the one that came with your DVD writer or computer.
The reason I question whether the drive is OK, is there seem to be a lot of people that have had problems with this burner after six months or so of use. Check out this thread for example:
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/99634

Joe Karnes

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2004, 03:27:37 pm »

John T. I just used a software called  DVD Cloner II ver. 2.20 to burn a DVD and then used Sonic Record Now Ver. 6 to burn a CD.  They both worked fine.  I checked out the link you sent me on my burner, but since I can burn both DVD and CDR with my burner it would seem to me that the problem is not with my burner.  I did note that on the post on the HP burner that several of them refered to the fact that their burners had worked at first but then started having problems.  I bought this computer in April of this year and from the very first I was unable to burn MP3 files to DVD using Media Center but I could burn audio and data CDR using Media Center.  I could burn CDR from the first and still can burn the DVD and CDR disc with other software.  Please let me know if there is something else I need to do.  Thank you, Joe Karnes

Joe Karnes

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2004, 10:43:09 am »

John T. thank you for your message indicating that this seems to be some incompatibility with MC.  I very much appreciate the fact that you are checking this out.

I just uninstalled and reinstalled my DVD burner, checked for driver updates, uninstalled all other burner software, disabled all anti-virus and spam software.  I then tried to burn an MP3 DVD with Media Center and it ended in error again.  I was able to then burn another MP3 data CDR with Media Center.  Thank you again, Joe Karnes

Joe Karnes

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2004, 11:18:51 pm »

(Hi Joe,

I may have to get hold of the same burner as you have in order to fix the
problem. It seems to be some incompatibility with MC.
I'll take another look at the error messages in the log file to see if I
can come up with any ideas.

Thanks,
John T.)

Hi John T.,

Have you been able to determine if there is any solution to the incompatability issue with my DVD burner and MC 10?  I would think that there must be someone else with the same burner I have that would be using MC and I had hoped they might have some input.  I guess there may not be other burners like mine or perhaps if there are they are not having problems with them.  I had asked before if you thought by changing to MC 11 that might solve the problem.  Again my burner continues to work fine with my other software.  Thank you again for any help you can give me.  
Joe Karnes

Joe Karnes

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2004, 12:56:56 pm »

11-5-04    I need to track down one of these burners. I've been swamped with some
other issues lately but I'll try to get this resolved by the end of next
week. Sorry about the delays.

Regards,
John T.
JRiver, Inc.

John,
I have had to replace my power supply under warranty and I then uninstalled my hp dvd writer/ cd-writer combo and physically removed it from my system.  I then hooked it up again and installed it.  For whatever reason I can now burn MP3 files to DVD with MC 10.  There is still a problem with the Burn CD or DVD window indicating incorrectly, I burned 7 MP3 data disc all the approximate same size and each one of them for example indicated like the following.  1250 files 4319 mb - 4342 over capacity.  As you had indicated to me previously I chose to burn anyway as I have many times before but this time it worked.  I have also burned audio CDs with MC10 and I am still able to burn DVD movies with other software so I am hopeful that everything is okay now.  Thank you for your help.  Joe Karnes

Intel Pentium 4 2999 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 178 MB

Ripping /  Drive F: ASUS    CD-S480/AH        Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive K:  Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max

Burning /  Drive K: HP      DVD Writer 300c    Addr: 3:0:0  Speed:12  MaxSpeed:16  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes

JohnT

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2004, 01:04:25 pm »

Glad to hear it's working for you Joe. The capacity display problem has been remedied in the latest version 11 builds.
Pages: [1]   Go Up