INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crashes in all offered versions  (Read 1610 times)

ecmartinjr

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Crashes in all offered versions
« on: October 13, 2004, 07:31:18 pm »

I have downloaded all the currently offered versions including 100173.  All versions ultimately cause my computer to crash.  Sometimes sooner, sometimes later.  Sometimes I get a "critical Error #30" message.  Sometimes I can get about 350 albums imported to the library before a crash.  If I attempt a global import it will always crash in the early stages of the importation.  Note that I have about 30,000 plus tracks of music in the .ape format.  It was suggested that I import "small batches" at a time and therefor I tried all "a's" etc.  Still it crashed when I got into the "C's".  When I removed the Media Center program from my computer it returns to it's normal "rock-solid" stability.  I got an error report (courtesy of MS service pack 2) on some occasions that it was a "driver" caused problem and that I should update my video driver (Nvidia GeForce 5600).  I did.  Still crashes.  I also reduced "acceleration" to "none".  Still crashes.  I have downloaded the Media Center program having first disabled Norton Anti-Virus and the MS firewall.  Still crashes.  Horrible.  I have enjoyed the Media Jukebox and the more recent but earlier version of Media Center and it has been good.  If no one has an answer I suppose I'll sit it out until a stable program is offered.  In the meantime I have been using up my "re-install" allowance to no purpose.  Any help will be appreciated.  Ed

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:Crashes in all offered versions
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 07:48:10 pm »

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004, 03:14:12 am »

Have you tried skipping C and importing A, B, D and so on? There may be abad file there. Also this really has to be a hardware or software problems outside of MC. I have installed all versions on very different setups, AMD, P4, PIII, all kinds of graphics and sound cards, memory configurations, you name it. I haven't had one MC caused crash outside of the odd test with early betas and alphas. For 11 this was a copuple of months ago.
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 05:19:28 am »

I have MC 10 and 11 installed on three PC platforms: a desktop P4 (XP/SP1), a laptop P4 (XP/SP1) and an AMD Athlon (W2k/SP4). I have no stability problems, though all of them have an ATI Radeon graphics card. However, I don't think a GeForce card should make any difference.

Currently MC 11 seems to have some stability problems with the new Library Server, but it has nothing to do with importing.

When I removed the Media Center program from my computer it returns to it's normal "rock-solid" stability.

What do you mean by this? Do you mean that an installed MC changes your OS or other software unstable even when MC is not running?

Is your computer/MC stable if you run MC with those files you can import?

If you continue by sharing your detailed experiences here, maybe your problems can be solved.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2004, 05:28:49 am »

Well, it would be useful to have more hardware info.

I had constant problems (read: hard crashes, requiring reboot) with MC10 when trying to burn CDS, or in many cases just when reading anything in the optical drive. This was always attributed to system problems or other CD burning software, but never really resolved - since no-one else had the same problem.

It was only when another user with identical hardware (Shuttle ST61G4) reported the same problem that we went through an intensive debugging process, and found that it was, in fact, an issue with how MC interacted with the optical drive.

It *was* all sorted in the end, and I appreciate the effort the J River crew put into solving the problem. But it was after all an MC problem, not a system stability problem.
Pages: [1]   Go Up