INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: USB External audio box  (Read 3512 times)

PP43

• Change this by choosing profile
USB External audio box
« on: October 21, 2004, 01:38:14 pm »

Anyone using external USB devices for different zones? If so what type are you using?
Anyone using the Griffin technology One? imic one

Bill Kearney

• Galactic Citizen
Re:USB External audio box
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2004, 09:40:44 am »

I've got a Creative MP3 usb sound card attached as a second zone.  It appears to work reasonably well.  I've only just started using MC so I can't really add much more.  The only thing that sort of concerns me is that it's rather a bit much work to switch between zones.  I'd love to have a simpler way to jump from one zone to another.

patricklang

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Re:USB External audio box
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2004, 04:19:57 pm »

I happen to own an M-Audio Sonica and Griffin iMic as well.  I have not used either as a second zone.

The iMic works without any special drivers and is cheaper, but the Sonica sounds significantly better and supports 24bit/96khz.  The sonica is about on par with the Creative Labs sblive in terms of sound quality.

If you're going to be doing a long cable run (>10 feet or so), I would not recommend either of these cards, the signal level is less than a typical internal card.

Do you have any specific things that you want me to try with either of them?
Enjoying bit-perfect audio since Media Center 10!

Current 192k setup: SB Recon3d (using hdaudio.sys) -> SPDIF -> Emotiva XDA-1 -> Rotel RX-975 -> Event 20/20 v1
Headphone setup: Meta42 amp, AKG k501, AKG k271
Portable setup: Meridian Explorer -> Etymotic ER-4P with S adapter

Bill Kearney

• Galactic Citizen
Re: USB External audio box
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2005, 05:13:03 pm »

I've got creative mp3, extigy and now an FM transmitter that lists itself as 'usb speakers'.  All work just fine with MC11 as independent zones.

What SUCKS though is there's no way to switch zones without using the keyboard.  It would be very helpful to have an on-screen button or toolbar item that would allow switching zones.  A simple 'next zone' action would be nice.  Having next/prev or zone selectable ones would be niceer but not 'as necessary'.

Having to use Ctrl-T from the keyboard sucks when you have a wall-mounted touchscreen display.

Markeau

• Galactic Citizen
Re: USB External audio box
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2005, 07:07:47 pm »

I use the Xitel Pro HiFi Link to connect my PC to my Yamaha DSPA1 HT amp via optical TOSLINK, works great ... it comes with a 50' TOSLINK, 50' coax, and 50' double phono cable ... but it does not support ASIO
Pages: [1]   Go Up