INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: adding file to mp3 player + media server library  (Read 1338 times)

Wasted

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
adding file to mp3 player + media server library
« on: October 22, 2004, 02:53:01 am »

It would be really nice if it is posible to add files to a mp3 device from a medialibrary shared via mediaserver.

I mean it's no problem if it takes a bit longer to fill your mp3 player and when you are localy connected to your media server you can stream very fast so it's no problem.

Now I have to 'convert' my files first, then browse to the mp3's via the file system and then drag / drop them on my mp3 player device.

With the new media server system it's posible to autoconvert to a selected format so it should be posible to add files to a mp3 device by 1 single action.

I hope somebody understand what I'am talking about if not please let me know whats not clear and I will try to explain a bit more.

Does it have something to do with legal issues ? or something ? I mean it would really be a killer option and makes live so much easier for ppl using a media server in combination of portable players.

IanG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:adding file to mp3 player + media server library
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2004, 07:38:16 am »

Now I have to 'convert' my files first, then browse to the mp3's via the file system and then drag / drop them on my mp3 player device.

You can synch a handheld from a playlist(s), and I think MC can do the conversion on the fly.

Ian G.

Wasted

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2004, 07:53:28 am »

Yes, I know that is posible but my problem is not the converting, more that I expose my libary via a media server and that I have 4 clients connected to that single mediaserver and 2 of that clients do have 'portable music' players.

Now I have to make fileshares to give them access to the same files that are shared by the mediaserver (The on the fly conversion is very nice, but can only work if the files are from a local library and not a mediaserver library)

Then when I buy new music every client have to update their library to relect the changes. The idea of a mediaserver is very good and really working nice for me. I can listen to all my music and it don't mather where I am. (Home/Work/School/Friends with inet connection) but it would be very nice if I can work with mp3 players the same way. without switching to oter libraries.

(Sorry if the story is a bit confusing, English isn't my main language so sometimes it is very difficult for me to explain myself)

IanG

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2004, 08:00:00 am »

(Sorry if the story is a bit confusing, English isn't my main language so sometimes it is very difficult for me to explain myself)

You're very clear!  Unfortunately I don't think it can be done.

Ian G.

SteveG

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2004, 09:47:09 am »

Wasted,

It cannot currently be done, but we will revisit whether we will add it in.

Steve

Wasted

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2004, 09:49:49 am »

Thank you very much, ohw and btw even without the feature we are talking about I really enjoy using Media Center.

Thank you both for reading and replying to my post.

Pages: [1]   Go Up