INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: APL file format support could be better  (Read 9652 times)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
APL file format support could be better
« on: December 15, 2004, 12:47:27 pm »

I posted about this earlier, but I think this needs a separate thread.

CUE entries have still several disadvantages. E.g. copying or moving CUE album files to another folder or computer preserving tagging is difficult (impossible?). Tagging generates false error messages. They cannot be played with Library Server. More can be found in the "Cue file support in MC11" thread.

That is why I would prefer physical APL type link files with APE2 tags. Until now I though that APL can support only Monkey's Audio format.

I have recently found that MakeAPL and Foobar 2000 can make APL files from CUE sheets pointing to MP3, Musepack and Ogg Vorbis audio files. Foobar 2000 can play them flawlessly. MC accepts only the APE variant.

I have made a little test package. It includes a small audio track in various audio formats (APE, MP3, Musepack & Vorbis), corresponding cue sheets and APL files (made with MakeAPL and Foobar2000).

Perhaps Matt could have a look for it. I wonder if only a minor tweaking is needed, because MC can already use playback range information from CUE sheet files. It is here (about 4.5 MB).
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
Re: APL file format support could be better
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2004, 02:07:40 pm »

I have recently found that MakeAPL and Foobar 2000 can make APL files from CUE sheets pointing to MP3, Musepack and Ogg Vorbis audio files. Foobar 2000 can play them flawlessly. MC accepts only the APE variant.

Yes, i discovered this some time back with Mp3s and FB2K. Needless to say i was just as amazed. Proceeded to ask for a similar method to be able to use CUE files. Fast forward a bit, we now have cue support.

I'm wondering whether Matt disapproves of using (APE)PL for formats other than APE. Since he's intimately invovlved with MC, i hope he can clarify this. Given that he hasn't created a stink about FB2K using APL to point to other media, leads me to think prolly not. 

Since i earlier asked for a way to make placeholders, i think APL could do this too.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2004, 02:09:32 pm »

APL licensing fees are assessed on a per-format basis, so costs may be prohibitive :P (sarcasm)

Seriously though, we'll look at it sometime.  Thanks Alex.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2005, 11:02:42 am »

Bumb

Thanks Matt, I guess you have nothing to do. So how about?  :)

I just organized a few cue track folders. It is impossible to move them inside MC. If I try this will happen:

So I made playlists, exported them in MPL format, edited manually and reimported the MPLs just for moving a few CUE track albums to another folder. I would love to use mp3/ogg/mpc APL files instead.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2005, 11:22:27 am »

Funny that you bring this up Alex, but the other day i was drooling at this very idea.

That Matt said he would consider it....

Omni

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2005, 01:11:42 pm »

I just organized a few cue track folders. It is impossible to move them inside MC. If I try this will happen:

Did you check to see if the files had actually been moved though?

I reported this bug a few builds ago.  MC will move the files and update your library just fine, it's just that MC trying to update the tags within the file at the old location.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2005, 02:13:44 pm »

The error mechanism may be related, but in this case there are no physical files. Those are only library entries. MC made them by reading information from a CUE sheet file. They all point to a single Audio CD image file. Moving the physical image file is not a problem.

CUE support is a new thing and there seem to be many kind of problems. I think it would be better to have physical "link" files for the link information and tags. APE/APL files work fine. I am just asking if MC could support other encoding formats in APL.

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 01:00:31 pm »

bump.

Has anyone ever found a simple way to manage this?
I haven't upgraded to v13 yet. Is there something in that version that helps?
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?
Pages: [1]   Go Up