INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Possible to check integrity of APE files?  (Read 2002 times)

sapnho

• Galactic Citizen
  • Leave a legacy
Possible to check integrity of APE files?
« on: January 01, 2005, 07:11:23 am »

I recently had a power failure while MC was writing to the disk changing file properties. I have >20k APE files on my server and I was wondering if there was an automatic way to check the file integrity of the APE files.

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Possible to check integrity of APE files?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2005, 01:22:24 am »

Yep. The full monkey's audio package has a "Verify" command in it. Check it out at www.monkeysaudio.com.

Best,
Brad

sapnho

• Galactic Citizen
  • Leave a legacy
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2005, 04:06:31 am »

Thanks for this.

Unfortunately my suspicion has been confirmed that during a copy process some APE files got corrupted and are now reported as "invalid checksum". The backup copy that I kept on an external drive, however, seems to be fine. What happens is that there are a few seconds of silence in the "invalid checksum" files when I play them on MC.

You are really wondering what causes this. I don't think it has anything to do with MC but you wonder how reliable computer hardware really is. As some threads here indicate, this is not a completely isolated issue, unfortunately.

I remember that when I built the fileserver (where I discovered the errors), I initially used a 40 cable instead of an 80 on two of the four harddisks. Could that have anything to do with that?

BTW, does MA have the "verify" option on in MC?

Richard Berg

• Junior Woodchuck
  • .sigs are lame
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2005, 02:12:13 pm »

I remember that when I built the fileserver (where I discovered the errors), I initially used a 40 cable instead of an 80 on two of the four harddisks. Could that have anything to do with that?
If your drive controller didn't automatically step down to UDMA-2 (which it's supposed to), then yes.  It could also be a physical error, firmware bug, network glitch...
Pages: [1]   Go Up