INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC11 and ATI Remote Wonder  (Read 3758 times)

alexgit

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
MC11 and ATI Remote Wonder
« on: January 11, 2005, 12:36:13 am »

Hi, I use ATI Remote Wonder in my living room with MC10.
While not offcially supported by MC it worked ok once I remapped few keys.
In particular I could start/stop/pause using appropriate keys (no change was required to remte control keys).
However, it appears that in MC11 those keys don't work anymore.
I can still use arrows in lists and ok button for enter (I suspect they just issue regualr keycodes for arrows and enter)
but no play buttons anymore. I think those buttons are also mapped to some standard codes as with most other
media players play/stop/pause works from any remote control or, say, my logitech keyboard.

Any insights on that? Any chance it gets fixed?
Thx

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC11 and ATI Remote Wonder
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2005, 11:12:39 am »

I have this issue as well.  I have also been trying to remap the keys through MC's interface using the Girder X10 plugin (through MC not through Girder) and can't get the plugin to load.  (When I choose it in the Plugin Manager nothing happens.  If I reboot or restart MC it doesn't appear either).

I would REALLY like this to work, as currently the only way to get the remote keys to work is to remap them in KeyFactory.  I don't want to do this though because it breaks their functionality in other programs (such as ATI's MMC which I currently use for TV and WiMP among others).  What I really want is to be able to assign keys on the remote to functions in MC, but ONLY have those functions apply when MC is in focus (in other words I still want the buttons to work normally for other stuff).

I know other people have the Remote Wonder out there.  What tactics are you using to work it with MC11?  Will MC eventually have a remote plugin for the RW series, or will one of us (end users) have to build one?  If so, I'm reasonably competant at VB6/VB.NET (I know, I'm planning to work on C++ when-if I have time) and if I could get some pointers as to where to start I'd be happy to give it a whirl (though with my limited time it will take a while unless I have some help).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

modelmaker

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2005, 02:30:07 pm »

The ATI RW doesn't work for me MC11 either and this fact is making me seriously consider going back to my earlier version of MC where it did work.

The remote is an essential part of my media system and all the improvements in MC11 don't mean squat if the remote doesn't work anymore. For me, it's a deal breaker.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

alexgit

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2005, 06:59:52 pm »

Dear J River,
isn't it a time to look at issue again?
Very trully yours, Alex

Seriously, looking at other posts that suggest using girder and other things - I am not interested in taking
time from my family to tweak my living room computer.
If you want to design product for mass market - please consider that most people just want to install application and start using it,
not figure out how to make Remote Wonder that comes with their ATI card work.

Hope, I don't sound too harsh....

modelmaker

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2005, 07:31:21 pm »

ditto.
Jay.

JONCAT

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2005, 07:25:58 am »

I agree. ATI is a popular card, and the Remote Wonder is definitely being used by a lot of users here. I am using the RW Key Factory plugin. It wasn't too hard to setup but there exist a few conflict issues. It would be nice to see this fully supported by MC.

JC

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2005, 08:44:37 am »

Other than the KeyFactory plugin, which of course breaks other program functionality, does anyone have any other methods of working with the RW1/2 and MC?  I'm willing to use Girder, but it seemed that re-assigning all of the regular ATI functions (for the TV tuner for example) would be pretty difficult if not impossible using Girder.

I've also noticed that with MC11 the multimedia keys on my Microsoft keyboard are no longer working without manual reassignment, so it seems to me that either MC is no longer recognizing the regular "multimedia" windows messages or that Microsoft changed the regular windows messages recently and MC hasn't "caught up" yet.

It wouldn't be ideal (an actual MC plugin for the RW1/2 would be ideal) but a possible stop-gap solution would be a generic MC remote plugin that properly recognizes those windows messages that are sent by the Remote Wonder and most multimedia keyboards (I haven't tested it with a Logitech keyboard but my 2 different Microsoft ones don't work).  This probably wouldn't be as difficult to create, and would help a broader cross-section of users.

EDIT: I actually re-tested this and the keyboard keys do now work.  They must have been broken in an old build of MC for a while and I scripted a work-around and never realized that it had been fixed.

Though, I too suspect that ATI's Remote Wonder is going to be a fairly popular choice, and may be worth JRiver's time.  The AIW cards provide a lot of what someone building a HTPC needs, ATI now offers a HDTV Tuner card, and the Theater 550 Pro chip-based cards are garnering some great reviews (the TV Wonder Elite ships with the new Remote Wonder Plus).

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2005, 08:23:16 am »

I realize that this probably isn't a "show stopper" for the v11 release, but it is definately something that will "turn off" new MC users.  With each new release, you have the possibility of pushing new users to the product from reviews at CNET and other places.  I love MC, but if it was me coming to the product, and my remote control stopped working...

As I said, I realize the drive to get 11 out the door, but a committment to work on it for version 11 after release would probably go a long way with new users (meaning that they won't have to pay for the v12 upgrade to get that functionality back).... Not to mention with me.   ;D

(Though I know I will probably pay for v12 anyway).

alexgit

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2005, 07:40:47 pm »

It seems to be broken again. It didn't work on MC11 274 and 283. It worked ok at around 269 (I will retest it later today).
Worst thing that multimedia keyboard keys don't work anymore either.

Did anything changed lately?

alexgit

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2005, 12:10:32 am »

Confirmed:
MC11.266: ATI RW and Multimedia keyboard works OK!
MC11.274: Does not work
MV11.283: Does not work

I just reinstalled 266 over 283 - didn't change any configuration and it worked again. I don't know where between 266 and 274 it got broken but it did.

modelmaker

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2005, 10:51:15 am »

I'm running 280 and rw works fine.
Jay.

modelmaker

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2005, 11:01:50 am »

Just installed 283 and rw still ok.
Jay.

alexgit

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2005, 12:00:29 pm »

May be it's related to Windows Server 2003 I am running. Or may be it's some permissions thing (even though I have no idea why it would affect RW). I will do some more tests to see if I can figure what the problem is.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2005, 12:15:31 am »

Just to confirm for you, the RW2 is working fine for me as well with the latest build, and with all of them since .266 (and my multimedia keys are working also).  I am on XP Pro, not Server 2003 though...

alexgit

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2005, 12:59:13 am »

Ok, I got it fixed.
I did following:
1. Completely removed c:\Program Files\JRiver
2. Reinstalled 283
3. Gave full access permission to MC11 foder and to library foder to my guest user which is used to run the program.

Now everything seems to work.
I suspect that some permissions got mixed when versions of MC were installed over each other and Server 2003 has different way to set and control them than XP.

keithol

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2005, 11:09:02 am »

A somewhaat unrelated question, but does MC11 run on WIndows Server 2003?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2005, 12:28:17 pm »

A somewhaat unrelated question, but does MC11 run on WIndows Server 2003?

Yes.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up