INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TV out made simple  (Read 2126 times)

TXgary

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
TV out made simple
« on: January 20, 2005, 08:41:49 pm »

Lots of options to play music, photos, and video from office computer to den TV monitor and stereo.  Everything from tivo to wireless gagets.
One simple questions. 
Why not.,  can I run tv out (with a card) about 60 feet to the den tv and use that as my monitor, then run wireless mouse out and set next to tv in den then use the wireless remote to switch to MC11 and watch everything via the TV as a monitor?
Seems like a simple solution.  MC is all inclusive for music, photos, videos, and TV recording, etc.  Makes sense,
What are the drawbacks, surely someone has already tried it.
Thanks

modelmaker

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: TV out made simple
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2005, 02:28:39 am »

What you're describing is certainly possible as part of my system is setup that way.

I hard wired my home for sound and video years ago, long before I got into computer technology, so I had to adapt what I already had to the newer technology.

My media computer is in my workshop and I wanted to be able to control it from my bedroom, about 35 feet away.

I first hooked up A/V cables to the sound and video cards and to the existing cables to my bedroom (and the inputs of a VCR).

In addition, I got 2-15foot USB extention cables for a total of 30feet to hook up my 'Gyration' mouse & keyboard (RF but only a 25' range - they now have one with 100' range) and voila, I could control, watch and listen to my computer!

However, while watchiing streaming video/photos etc was fine, readabillity of text sucked. So I got some VGA monitor extention cables and put a monitor in my bedroom as well. I can now run MC (or anything else) and view the app. on the monitor and with MC's display configuration ability when I want to view full screen, MC will send the image/video to the TV.

I don't know how far you can extend the feed for the monitor, mine is 45' without any appreciable degradation. When running any line level or video feed keep it at least a foot away from any parallel AC lines and cross AC lines at right angles if must.

Instead of running A/V cables you can use A/V transmitter/recievers like the ones Radio Shack sells for about 70$.

There are other options today, Mastiff is really the expert in this area around here, check out his website: http://mastiff.now.nu/

Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

TXgary

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 08:52:31 am »

Good information.  What about viewing in Theatre View.  Can you read the TV as a monitor then to select what you want to play?
Having an additional monitor would be the best, I can see that.

I appreciate your comments.

modelmaker

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2005, 01:07:32 pm »

I'm still running MC 9.0 and Theater View in this older version doesn't work very well, but if you're running version 10 or 11, they made a lot of improvements from what I understand and Theatre View is certainly very readable in any version on a TV. But you will still have the problem with any other Windows app not designed to be viewed on a TV. You could probable pick up a reconditioned monitor from a repair shop for cheap. Maybe you know someone that has an old 15" they're not using anymore. You will need a video card that will clone the screen to 2 monitors (Matrox makes some nice ones)

My set up is quite practical, as I can organize and tag as if I had another computer in the room or was on a network, I can also write emls or work any other app, watch TV and can still switch the view when I want.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up