INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Switching HTPC On/Off via PPC over wireless  (Read 2203 times)

yap

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Switching HTPC On/Off via PPC over wireless
« on: January 26, 2005, 07:21:16 am »

Does any one know how I can turn on and off my Music Server PC using the PPC??? my system setup as below...

I have my Music server PC (XP with MJ10) connected via LAN to a Wireless ADSL router that is always on. I want to use the PPC with Netremote to control the MJ10 but I do not want my PC on all time hence I am looking for solutions to turn the PC on/off via PPC over wireless as when needed.

Any ideas will be much appreciated...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Switching HTPC On/Off via PPC over wireless
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2005, 09:19:18 am »

Did you try the forum at www.promixis.com ?

brentb

Re: Switching HTPC On/Off via PPC over wireless
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2005, 04:30:58 am »

You could plug the HTPC into an x10 appliance switch. Then run an automation program like Homeseer, http://www.homeseer.com/ which has a web interface. Log on to the web interface using the PPC browser, click on the Homeseer interface link to turn on the HTPC remotely, Homeseer sends the command through the powerline to the x10 switch, and voila, remote switching from anywhere you can get to the the internet. If you just want to do it locally, there are various x10 devices which will receive IR signals, and convert that to an x10 powerline signal to be sent through the powerline as above. Just use a remote control program on the PPC that sends out IR.

Homeseer could be set up to do this whole scenario based on just about any event: IR received, email received, specific times of the day, motion sensor tripped, you name it, this program is very versatile. Maybe more than you need for your needs.

good luck
Brent
Pages: [1]   Go Up