INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I heard this rumor...  (Read 2330 times)

rovingcowboy

• World Citizen
  • I love media jukebox
I heard this rumor...
« on: July 07, 2003, 09:23:53 am »

>:(

the next operating system from Microsoft will be called  "longhorn"  and that they in their  oh so great and stupid minds have decided to make us pay to upgrade from all other windows os's  by making  All Prior  Applications  that work Now  NOT  work in  longhorn.  
:o
since you here at musicex  are programers and appliaction authors   i thought you would be able to  find out if that is true.  

if it is   what the .... would i want to get that new os for.
>:(
roving cowboy / keith hall

ijusth

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re: I heard this rumor...
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2003, 10:44:31 am »

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2003, 11:38:36 am »

I hope it is true.

Since Windows 95, 98, 98se, WinMe was a mess

Trying to stay compatible with The Older 3.0 And 3.11 16 Bit

This should also cut out Virus and Trojan Horses for sometime

Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

paulfife

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2003, 12:29:40 pm »

According to the article they are talking about HARDWARE, not software applications!

There is no way MS would drop software compatibility - That would be like shooting themselves in the foot. The fact that all this software only runs on MS's copyrighted API is the reason that everybody uses their OS - like it or not!

What they are talking about here is not making the OS work with older hardware. So you may not be able to upgrade your older computer to the OS, or move some older parts to a newer computer with the OS preinstalled. As an end user it doesn't sound like this would affect you too much unless you tinker with your systems and upgrade them rather than buy a new one.

paulfife

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2003, 12:34:30 pm »

I hope it is true.

Since Windows 95, 98, 98se, WinMe was a mess

Trying to stay compatible with The Older 3.0 And 3.11 16 Bit

This should also cut out Virus and Trojan Horses for sometime

They have already dropped the Win 95,98,Me product line with the introduction on XP, which is built on the NT base.

I don't really believe Viruses have anything to do with 16-bit compatibility. Most viruses are based on newer technologies like scripting.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2003, 12:59:56 pm »

I don't really believe Viruses have anything to do with 16-bit compatibility.

thats not what i was refering to in that statement.

it was more that since windows 95 etc... had to run more drivers since they are trying to run 16 bit and 32 bit programs. if they would have mode windows 95 32 bit only it would have been more stable ad faster.

the virus comment was a sep comment, and sice 32 bit viruses will not run on a 64 bit OS you will basicly start from scrach and old viruses will be obsolete.

>> Most viruses are based on newer technologies
>> like scripting
true but if the scripting lanuage was changed they will just brake and still be obsolete.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

paulfife

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2003, 07:34:50 am »

>> Most viruses are based on newer technologies
>> like scripting
true but if the scripting lanuage was changed they will just brake and still be obsolete.

And unfortunately so will all the software we have too...

Starting over at zero is unfortunately something that can't be done. Older stuff will slowly dissapear from the APIs as fewer people use the software requiring it over time.

If people were willing to switch OSs (and software) readily we would see new OSs come up all the time and gain popularity quickly. This doesn't happen because a new OS has no software and nobody wants an OS with no software, and nobody wants to develop software for an OS with no users. This momentum takes a LONG time to overcome, if ever.

Look how long it took MS to get rid of the Win95 line and replace it with the NT line. They had been planning it practically from the time Windows95 was released. It will be a long time before another change like that is needed.

digital:rogue

• Recent member
  • insert generic tagline here.
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2003, 07:19:09 pm »

Well, from a corporate standpoint, I can honestly say I don't know of any IT managers who would be very willing to scrap hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions, of dollars in existing hardware just to continue an upgrade path. It is just not cost-efficient, and your ROI is non-existant. If these new systems break it is not a simple matter of pulling a hard drive out of an old system to keep it running or swapping a video card out from one in the cage in the IT shop. It requires whole new service contracts with hardware vendors, and whole new software contracts with Microsoft, which I can honestly say people are getting tired of shelling out millions of dollars for.

The organization I used to work for as a Systems Analyst shelled out 1.5 million in Win2K Pro and Office 2k licenses, not including the hundreds of thousands in new servers, desktops and workstations to handle the jump from the existing Banyan/NT environment. Add in to that the money for licenses for GIS, AutoCAD, engineering applications, etc. Having to now look at scrapping that to build essentially from the ground up in Longhorn? Hmmm.... open source looks better all the time...

Linux (and even Apple) might be wise in taking advantage; however, I hear Apple is dropping backward support of OS9 now... Interesting times ahead...

.-=digital.rogue=-.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Pages: [1]   Go Up